Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: How d'ya like Mike Shanahan now?

Popeman38

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/howard-111006/mike-shanahan-2011-success-washington-redskins-changing-minds

A nice article about how Shanny has changed the aura of the Redskins, until you get to this little nugget:

The Redskins might yet fall back to earth. Grossman won the Skins' starting quarterback job, but his effectiveness has declined in each of the last three games, backsliding from 305 yards in the season-opening win against New York to just 143 against St. Louis last Sunday. For the year, he has six touchdowns passes against seven turnovers, which are just a shade off Tony Romo sits to pee's Jekyll and Hyde totals. That won't be good enough when Washington's schedule gets really tough late in the year with games against the Jets, Patriots, Giants, Steelers and Ravens in addition to rematches with its NFC East rivals.

Now, how in the hell does that make it through an editor and get published in a national publication? Does anyone ever fact check articles at ESPN? We played the Steelers and Ravens in preseason. We do not play them this year. Instead, we play the Vikings and Seahawks. Just a slight bit different.....

The best part is you don't even have to look at a schedule to figure out that's wrong. If we're already playing the Jets and the Patriots, it's impossible for us to play two other AFC teams from a completely different division. Stuff like this kills me.

I like the article, but the factual inaccuracies are mind-blowing.

That won't be good enough when Washington's schedule gets really tough late in the year with games against the Jets, Patriots, Giants, Steelers and Ravens in addition to rematches with its NFC East rivals.

1) We already played the Giants, so it would be one of the rematches for the NFC East. The writer even talks about Grossman's performance in the season opener. Against the Giants.

2) We don't play the Steelers or Ravens. That was the preseason.

I would blame the writer and the fact checkers here. Know what you're writing before you send it print. She obviously didn't have her facts straight and still sent it to print. If it's not one of the NFL's so-called "elite" teams, these writers don't give a **** what they're putting out there.

I can't take that article seriously when you don't even know who we play

I had the same issue last night. I read through it and enjoyed it a lot, until I got to the Steelers and Ravens part.

It made me second guess the writer as if she has no clue about the Skins and needed a fluff piece to get attention.

Yeah, have to agree that the truly insulting part of that article is that they gave the assignment to someone whose resume is reviewing oatmeal cookie recipes from the local bakeoff.

Laugh Skins fans, laugh long and loud and deeply, laugh at the comeuppance the media is in store for this year and in years to come.

Another misinformed ESPN sports writer trying to impress the boss by slamming the Redskins so she can secure her place in the sports realm of writers who spew the same message. It just amazes me that they allow these amatuerish writings to go through yet they slam anything that is written bad about the Cowboys or anyone they seem to think is good. Just goes to show you how far ESPN has fallen in the world of sports reporting. If it weren't for the fact that Adam Schefter was working for them there wouldn't be any good sports reporters at ESPN.

I just sent her this:

Johnette Howard ,

Your column about Mike Shanahan falsely states that "Shanahan's Broncos hadn't had a playoff victory in the 10 years since Elway retired." He in fact made an AFC championship game appearance in 2006 after defeating the Patriots 27-13 in the divisional playoff game.

I don't get paid to write about football, and never liked/followed the Broncos, but still knew that the Broncos made an AFC championship game appearance in the last 5 years. Lazy journalism...

Archived