Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Fans Must be the Dumbest Football Fans in the NFL

SonnyandSam

Yet they're playing "Quiet, offense at work" messages on the ****ing FedEx scoreboard or whatever, allegedly. I'm sorry, but they don't put stuff on there just for kicks. Someone advised Snyder to put the message in, and probably for good ****ing reason.

?

They put that there...because you're supposed to be quiet on offense! They have it there whether it's "loud" (which isn't loud at all) or not. They've had that for years...

No one is saying we should make noise while the offense is on the field. Just that the noise that is made is being way overblown.

Again, even after big 50, 60, 70 yard non touchdown plays when everyone is cheering, I can't ever recall the noise level being a problem for the following play.

You are wrong....and I'm the OP. Yes, you quoted the title correctly. But as you accused me, you clearly did not read the post; or at least ignored it. My primary complaint was about fans making too much noise while the offense was at work. To a lesser extent I added the lack of knowledge of our fight song.

But the key point throughout this thread is the noise generated when our offense is on the field.

You implied that the Skins fans are the worst in the league for this. My point is that it happens EVERYWHERE and it's unfair to single out Skins fans, which you clearly did by the very title of your post. We've all seen QBs do the "be quiet flap" and they haven't all been Skins Qbs.

If your post had been titled "Skins fans make too much noise on offense" that's much more open to debate. Your title and what you just typed don't jibe. Your primairy complaint may be that Skins fans are too noisy, but as you presented it, your primary complaint is that Skins fans are the dumbest, and thereofre are noiser than any other fanbase when their team is on offense.

You are being unfair.

Is Peyton Manning playing this season? Surely you could have understood that I was talking about games prior to this season. You can hear everything more clearly in a home Colts game.

I think this is probably not the case. We watch Colts games on TV. When I go back and rewatch the Skins games on TV I don't notice the crowd when we are on offense. I do notice them when we are on defense particularly the guys that beat on the interior wall padding around the field. My guess is that there are people at Colts games rolling their eyes at the numbskulls as well.

Come on man...*I* know when I'm supposed to be loud and when I'm not. I do not behave that way. I'm just sticking up for my fellow Skins fans, which you'd think people here would understand. We get enough hate from the rest of the league's fanbase.

I didn't mean you as in you, I meant you as in whoever doesn't know when to be quiet.

One, I dont think its wrong to shout encouragement to my team

Two, if they can't handle a little noise at home, what are they going to do when they're on the road? As I see it, I'm actually helping them by getting them ready for their next away game

That is horrible logic, really. They know they are going to face loud crowds on the road, they don't need preparation, that's what the speakers in practice are for if a coach is so worried.

I mean do people really have such a chip on their shoulder that they pull the "I paid for it so I'll inhibit our offense when I feel like it" card?

I see what you are saying...and yes I DO go to any games. I went to 3 last year and will probably go to 3 this year (counting the Cards game).

Yes, all of the stuff being described in this thread goes on. "What I am saying" is that this is NOT exclusive to Fed Ex, and it's unfair to label all Skins fans as "dumb" - in fact, "the dumbest," because of it.

I agree it's not exclusive

I also agree it's unfair to label all fans as dumb - i don't think thats at all what S&S was trying to do. I think he was trying to draw attention to the fact that screaming while the team you're rooting for is on offense is counterproductive, and dumb. Thats all.

One, I dont think its wrong to shout encouragement to my team

Two, if they can't handle a little noise at home, what are they going to do when they're on the road? As I see it, I'm actually helping them by getting them ready for their next away game

When a team is on the road, they're expected to face noise. The only thing you're helping is your voice being gone before halftime which may be a good thing since you don't know when to use it. The "QUIET, OFFENSE AT WORK!!!" image on the screen is there for a reason.

I disagree - have you been to other teams stadiums? You can hear a pin drop at arrowhead when the Chiefs are on offense. Same for the colts. Yes, you are correct in that teams are use to noise levels WHILE ON THE ROAD. It's not the same as when you're at home. you're suppose to have the home field advantage which is why they have signs that say QUIET offense at work. I get what you are saying. People pay too much to attend these games so if they want to yell they are entitled to do so but it's like some need a lesson on when to cheer and when to be quiet.

We do have the home field advantage at home

Did you happen to see in the Arizona game the teams offense get an offsides penalty because they couldn't get the play off because of crowd noise?

If you did I missed it and apologize for that

I might need to rewatch the game but the stadium seemed pretty loud when the defense was on the field and not so much when the offense was on the field

Which is home field noise level advantage

And truthfully I wouldn't ever expect to hear everyone be silent at a sporting event that features heavy alcohol consumption but that's just me

In the end I don't believe that the noise level existed last game to warrent anyone calling us, each one of us, the dumbest fans in the NFL

And that's the reason I take exception to this thread and was pretty harsh

I know collectively we - The Redskins Nation aren't the dumbest fans in the NFL and anyone saying otherwise can stick it

I think the words "must be" in the thread title are being ignored. The entire title isn't my wording and I wouldn't have written it myself, but I get the feeling that the OP is trying to appeal to the rational side of Redskins fans to evaluate our behavior at games which is counter productive to victory (as if he were to say "If we cheer while our offense is lining up and create extra crowd noise...well we must be the dumbest fans in football if we do that". I don't think he is trying to call Redskins fans dumb as much as he's trying to evoke introspective thought within fans who perhaps have done some of the things discussed in his post and the rest of this thread.

I don't think that many Redskins fans are stupid. I think that lots of Redskins fans have not been taught how to best help the team at our home games. I think that a lot of fans who are perfectly smart didn't realize that perhaps cheering for their team, though an act done with positive emotions, if done at the wrong time could be damaging to their success.

we definitely have a lot of stupid fans, but it stems from people not even being there to watch football, theyre there to get drunk, party, and be stupid.

itd be cool if our stadium was full of fans fixated on the game, but id say a good amount of people are there cause its "cool". a lot has to do with the fact that the stadium holds 95k people, so theres a lot more room for the dummies.

Maybe "dumb" is too "mean" for some of you. Does it make you feel better if I say "uneducated"? Sorry....I'm not a politically correct sort of guy.

I still don't believe you have it right yet

You can not group this fanbase nation into the small sampling you witnessed first hand

But I appreciate you trying and tone it down a bit

A big part of the problem, IMHO, is that the high cost of tickets combined with easy access to tickets on the internet is attracting a lot of casual fans who are not experienced with how to act at a live event. Clearly, our fans have been loud and into both games. And that is great for the team! Back in the old days, you sat next to the same season ticket holder game after game after game. You became friends with those around you. From game experience, they learned how to cheer properly. Now so many ticket holders, whether fans, corporations, or brokers, resell many or all their tickets so that we get different people every game. They simply do not know proper game etiquette. For example, the entire row of 15 seats behind me have been different people at the first two games. I had two fans sitting next to me who were not drunk or even drinking but with a high energy level and really enjoying the game. But several times I had to remind them to quiet down because the offense was on the field. Both were apologetic and understood completely; it just took them awhile to control their enthusiasm.

Your absolutely correct about this

Cash is King and the regular folks have been long been priced out of going to games

Please tell me how the median income of 60k a year which would work out to like 1200 per week

Can an average family man take his family of two children plus wife to a game that costs $200 per seat?

The old days were flat out better and this is exactly the reason why you see what you do

Let's also not forget that the fan base has been fed a steady diet of poor product for a loooong time. So once we weed out the wine-and-cheesers, the casual fans, and the opposing team fans, all we have left is die-hards who honestly can't get behind the team like they used to because they are simply expecting what they've seen over and over again- a loser. :(

(Hopefully this is changing.)

And one more example of how ignorant our fans are.....so few know the words to the fight song. In another thread, we have debated the value of the new video that shows the words on the screen. When the band strikes up HTTR, hardly anyone sings the words. But when the video version comes on the screen, everyone is karoaking and the song is incredibly loud because everyone is singing along. Again, the energy and enthusiasm is there; they just do not know when to be loud and need to learn the words to our fight song.

Inexcuseable.

My daughter is 3 and can sing the whole song.

I agree it's not exclusive

I also agree it's unfair to label all fans as dumb - i don't think thats at all what S&S was trying to do. I think he was trying to draw attention to the fact that screaming while the team you're rooting for is on offense is counterproductive, and dumb. Thats all.

Oh, it's such a pleasure to know there are people who can read and interpret the English language in context. Thank you tshile!

I still don't believe you have it right yet

You can not group this fanbase nation into the small sampling you witnessed first hand

But I appreciate you trying and tone it down a bit

Try reading it in context. Stop reading it like it is a personal insult. And stop being PC. No where did I pick on the entire fan base nor insult Redskins Nation. The fact is that a lot of fans in our stadium have no clue how to properly act when our offense has the ball. THAT is the point of the OP.

Not picking on you ......but I get really irritated with all the PC police who don't like to get their feelings hurt. Part of the problem with our society....people can't deal with the truth or honest criticism......but that's for the tailgate section.

Not picking on you ......but I get really irritated with all the PC police who don't like to get their feelings hurt. Part of the problem with our society....but that's for the tailgate section.

Oh geez.

So you are going defend your precious OP against every single critic, saying the same thing over and over again - and now we are onto "This is what's wrong with our society" territory?

Look - YOU said we "must" have the dumbest fans in the NFL. If you didn't mean it, you shouldn't have said it. A Redskins fan doesn't have to be "PC" to be offended by that.

I think you were being ridiculous and going overboard, so do many others. That's the way it's going to be when you say something as over the top and unfounded as that.

I'd again like to make the argument that, in a stadium of nearly 80,000 people, what may appear to be "loud" in the stadium does not come across as such on TV. I do think the closer we get to the end zone, the crowd certainly start to buzz now, but it sounds nothing like it does when the defense is on the field.

I'd again like to make the argument that, in a stadium of nearly 80,000 people, what may appear to be "loud" in the stadium does not come across as such on TV. I do think the closer we get to the end zone, the crowd certainly start to buzz now, but it sounds nothing like it does when the defense is on the field.

I agree. I go to every game, and the idiots who are loud on offense are not even close to as loud as the fans who are loud on defense.

And yes, I've also been to a few dozen games at other stadiums, and those fans are much worse than ours.

The interesting thing to me was that this past game when people started chanting "Let's go Redskins", who was on the sideline encouraging them to chant this? None other than probably the smartest person on this team: Oshiomogho Atogwe.

That was weird.

Archived