Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Fans Must be the Dumbest Football Fans in the NFL

SonnyandSam

The point of this thread is "dumbfounding" to me. Everyone is different and has different ways of expressing their emotions when it comes to football. Even though some of you may not like how loud people get at games, its not your place to pass judgement or try and police someone else's game day experience.

Still waiting for a book titled "Game Day Etiquette for Dummies"

It isn't about telling fans not to be loud. If you're being loud pre-snap for the offense and everybody else thinks its ok to do that, we make our own stadium like an away game for our team. What is more important to people? Doing what little you can at FedEx to help the Redskins keep a competitive advantage that COULD help them win the game, or cheering recklessly? Nobody says don't make noise at a football game. On defense, we need people going crazy and making as much noise as they possibly can. What do fans not understand about the words "home field advantage"? Simply playing in a given location doesn't give you an advantage, playing in front of fans who know what to do to help their team gives them an advantage.

Is it so hard to be aware of your surroundings? All anybody is saying is that for about 10 seconds or so while our offense is lining up and snapping the ball you should be quiet to help them out. I suppose that's too large of an inconvenience though, isn't it? Wouldn't want to help out this football team that we all want to see succeed.

I don't want anybody downplaying the usefulness of knowing when to cheer and when not to cheer either. We won the Bears game in 2005 off of false start penalties, it was so loud the Bears complained to the league about it. If we lost that extremely close game we're looking at a 9-7 season and no playoffs. Fans cheering was part of the path to the playoffs. We've had players here in years past who have commented after home games that it felt like they were playing a road game. What we're doing in the stands has an effect on the players on the field whether anybody wants to admit it or not. Why can't we just get this one thing right, its the only thing that we are capable of doing as fans to help out this team and as a fanbase we're failing miserably.

I don't go to many games but I get irritated when people get loud when the Skins are on offense. Maybe we all need to take signs to the game that say "BE QUIET!" and hold them up when the offense is on the field. Or maybe some folks should hand out pamphlets on how to cheer at a football games.

If the new 100 foot jumbotrons saying "QUIET" doesn't work, I highly doubt a sign would work.

I am consistently telling people to shhhh on offense. I swear some fans look at me like I am the idiot.

This tends to become less of an issue as the season goes on, because the wine and dine crowd dissapears as the weather gets colder. Thats when the "football" fans come back and dominate the stadium.

I debated for two days with myself whether to start this thread. But I'm still pissed at our fans...so here goes.....

:soapbox:

At both the Giants and the Cardinals games, our fans could not stay quiet when our offense was on the field. And they got louder when the offense was in the red zone! TWICE, Redskins fans started chanting, "Let's Go Redskins" (loudly) while the offense was in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage at the Cardinals game. Other times, they clapped, whistled, and yelled encouragment. I can appreciate our fans being excited about possible scoring opportunities, but damn it, shut the **** up! Save it for the Skins defense.

Redskins fans are so stupid they cannot even read 20 foot high letters on the HD screens pleading with them to be QUIET......OFFFENSE AT WORK. Despite regular videos of this reminder all throughout the game, Skins fans continued to be loud in the 4th quarter when the offense was on the field.

All these "casual" fans who come to a game once in a while have no clue how to act at a live Redskins game. This is not your ****ing living room; shut the **** up when the Redskins offense is on the field.

I also appreciate that the fans were quite loud in general for both games. We clearly affected both the Giants and the Cardinals offense a couple times in each game. And that's great! I want FedEx Field to bring that home field advantage. There has been a lot of enthusiasm in the stands. We definitely want that. But fans have to channel that energy without creating problems for the team.

And one more example of how ignorant our fans are.....so few know the words to the fight song. In another thread, we have debated the value of the new video that shows the words on the screen. When the band strikes up HTTR, hardly anyone sings the words. But when the video version comes on the screen, everyone is karoaking and the song is incredibly loud because everyone is singing along. Again, the energy and enthusiasm is there; they just do not know when to be loud and need to learn the words to our fight song.

OK.....I'll get off my soap box now.

I can agree and disagree with you here. From where you are sitting, that endzone did have a BIG problem being quiet while the Skins were on offense. As far as the entire stadium is concerned I think they did a fine job. The "Let's go Redskins" chants were happening while the team was in the huddle, but were quickly quieted once the offense broke for the line of scrimmage. I sit in the opposite side f the stadium from you ( section 134 ) and I was damn proud of the way our fans have been the last two games overall.

Seriously though, fight songs are all over the NFL, we're not the only ones with a fight song, and ours is certainly not the most complicated. There is no reason why our fans cannot learn the middle verse. How hard is it?

"Run or pass or score – we want a lot more!

Beat ‘em, swamp ‘em, touchdown – let the points soar!

Fight on, fight on, til you have won, Sons of Washington!"

Is that really that difficult? It is a psychological thing I can tell you that. I remember an interview which was done with some Cowboys players and they asked them what the worst thing was about playing the Redskins in RFK and they all said they would sing that damn fight song every time they scored and you'd have to listen to it all day if you messed up.

Apparently it's pretty hard.

Run or pass AND score, we want a lot more.

Simply put, here are some reasons why I AM and going to CONTINUE to be a rowdy fan at Redskins home games.....

1. For the last 13 years, I have been loud and rowdy at home games

2. For what I spend in parking, tickets, concessions and at the redskins store entitles me to be rowdy.

3. The crap I have to hear with at work, bars, dumb ESPN ANALysts and Lavar/Pukes? By Sunday, i'm ready to get rowdy.

4. Football isn't Tennis, so if you want peace and quiet, get season tickets for Wimbledon.

5. I AM A DIEHARD REDSKINS FAN.

6. Freedom of Speech.

7. Alcohol + Football = Excitement.

Others might not and most likely won't agree but that is how I feel so ill be a dumb fan for that.

:logo:HTTR:beavisnbutthead:

The point of this thread is "dumbfounding" to me. Everyone is different and has different ways of expressing their emotions when it comes to football. Even though some of you may not like how loud people get at games, its not your place to pass judgement or try and police someone else's game day experience.

Still waiting for a book titled "Game Day Etiquette for Dummies"

noone i asking you to not be rowdy

infact we want the fans to be rowdy

but when we're on defense, not offense.

why do you want to cause false starts, delay of games, and miscommunication for your own team? i mean, by your own points you are a diehard fan, and you spend a lot of money and time to go to the game. don't you want to help your team win, not try to be a factor in losing?

it seems like common sense if you actually bother to think it through.

(maybe you're misunderstanding the thread? :) )

What's even more amusing is posts within this very thread that don't see it as a big deal.

We do indeed have some of the dumbest fans in the entire NFL amongst our number.

Hail.

What's amusing is that so far not a single person - besides me - has compared our fanbase to another.

Again, if you've never gone to another stadium, how can you saw our fans are the only ones who behave this way? Like I said, in the Superdome during a Super Bowl year it was the same thing.

I'm kinda surprised by how much everybody here seems to hate their fellow Redskins fans. "You come late...You leave early...do the O...make noise...why don't you guys just STAY HOME!?"

Maybe you guys should stay home if really find everybody there so loathesome.

Instead of just hating everybodys' guts, I actually talked to a bunch of people in my row on Sunday and found them to be very cool people. Gasp!

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 02:48 PM ----------

What the heck is this?

Sounds like Gran Torino meets the old timers to me

Redskins fans aren't stupid because they aren't quiet at games

They pay 200 just like you to see the game and drink and have a good time

Why so serious?

Precisely.

Simply put, here are some reasons why I AM and going to CONTINUE to be a rowdy fan at Redskins home games.....

1. For the last 13 years, I have been loud and rowdy at home games

2. For what I spend in parking, tickets, concessions and at the redskins store entitles me to be rowdy.

3. The crap I have to hear with at work, bars, dumb ESPN ANALysts and Lavar/Pukes? By Sunday, i'm ready to get rowdy.

4. Football isn't Tennis, so if you want peace and quiet, get season tickets for Wimbledon.

5. I AM A DIEHARD REDSKINS FAN.

6. Freedom of Speech.

7. Alcohol + Football = Excitement.

Others might not and most likely won't agree but that is how I feel so ill be a dumb fan for that.

:logo:HTTR:beavisnbutthead:

You realize that the gripe isn't that fans are loud, right? It's that fans are loud when we are on offense and are trying to snap the ball. Loud = Good. Loud when we are trying to nsap the ball = Bad

i'm getting the feeling people don't understand why you would be loud vs quiet...

for those of you who don't understand, i'll try to break it down for you. maybe it'll help...

the idea of getting loud is to make it as hard as possible for the team on offense to concentrate, talk, and hear each other.

Times to get loud:

-When the other team is in their offensive huddle. This is when it should start. You want to make it hard for the coaches to relay the play in, and for the QB to relay it to the rest of the team. This can force time outs, delay of game, or maybe at the least someone runs a wrong route or does the wrong blocking assignment.

-When the other team comes to the line. This causes confusion for the team. You cannot hear the snap count, and you cannot audible to another play for fear of not everyone being on the same page. Again, this can cause a time out, delay of game, false start, and missed opportunities for the other team due to not hearing the audible correctly.

-When our team scores. This is just because scoring rocks and why wouldn't you get loud?

-When a big play is happening - I can't see the negative to getting super excited while our team has the ball and someone is running down the field for a big play.

When you realize why you're getting loud, you can realize when you should get loud.

our team trying to run their offense is NOT the time to get loud.

I realize what I just typed is common sense to probably 75% of the people who will read the thread. If i missed anything let me know.

edit: it'd be nice if someone did a little write up with colors and bullet points, and stickied it... i know it sounds dumb but we have to do something to correct this. it's been a problem for years.......

If the new 100 foot jumbotrons saying "QUIET" doesn't work, I highly doubt a sign would work.

I am consistently telling people to shhhh on offense. I swear some fans look at me like I am the idiot.

This tends to become less of an issue as the season goes on, because the wine and dine crowd dissapears as the weather gets colder. Thats when the "football" fans come back and dominate the stadium.

Yeah but what if the jumbotrons said quiet and there were a ton of signs in the crowd that said quiet. I was really not being completely serious. I also find myself asking people to stop making noise when the team is on offense. I get more irritated when I am being loud when the team is on defense and people are irritated that I am yelling and standing.

Colts fans know what to do. Hence why you can hear P. Manning clearly when the Colts are operating on O. Us on the other hand, nope.

LOL yeah.

I bet you Colts games a REALLY quiet these days, except for the sobbing.

colts.jpg

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 02:56 PM ----------

The OP is absolutely correct. Why? Because the knowledgeable football fans have been priced out of FedEx Field for the most part. Half the crowd at Redskin games now are wine-and-cheesers or opposing team supporters. :(

Ridiculous. Price is not an issue. Tickets were going for ELEVEN BUCKS for the Cardinals game.

Just face it - many of the "die hard" fans who are so much better than the people actually showing up don't WANT to go to games anymore. They are too lazy and cheap and would rather just sit at home. So why hate on the people who DO go?

Crazy Levi's point seems to be that you paid all this money, so if you want to go out of your way to make it difficult for the redskins to play you can.

I don't think anyone disputes that.

We're just telling you you're dumb for doing it.

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 02:57 PM ----------

Let's not forget about fans wanting to do the wave when the offense is on the field, even though guys on the bench are telling them to keep quiet.

what's wrong with that? the wave isn't noisy.

it's pointless in the upper deck anyways because it dies at the endzone now that 75% of the seats are missing there.

"Casual" fan??? There are many reasons people can only make it to 1 or 2 games a year. Most of which do not fall under the "casual" fan category. Do you go around asking everyone who is yelling during offense how many games they come too? How do you know these people are not season ticket holders? As for debating two days on whether or not to start this thread...you can get meds and counseling for that. GOOD LUCK to you. I hope you get better.

cas·u·al   /ˈkæʒuəl/ Show Spelled[kazh-oo-uhl] Show IPA

adjective

1. happening by chance; fortuitous: a casual meeting.

2. without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing: a casual remark.

3. seeming or tending to be indifferent to what is happening; apathetic; unconcerned: a casual, nonchalant air.

4. appropriate for wear or use on informal occasions; not dressy: casual clothes; casual wear.

5. irregular; occasional: a casual visitor.

Please note definition #5. Who's ignorant now? The odds are that people who are long time season ticket holders AND actually attend games, are not the ones cheering and making noise while we are on offense.

As for taking two days to decide whether this warranted a thread, what's your *****? Lots of people, the vast majority, agreed with my rant? Perhaps you need meds to calm your self down.

I typically do not post negative messages; particularly after a victory. That is why I gave some thought about whether to bring up this issue. Clearly, it is an issue....did you not read all the folks who agreed with the OP?

Old saying goes..."its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are ignorant then its to open your mouth and prove it"

Didn't follow your own advice, I see.

Considering about 90 percent of the posters in this thread have agreed with me, nothing in my posts are ignorant.

Or perhaps my complaint about how some fans act at the games hit a nerve. Are you one of those fans who is "uneducated" and can't figure out the correct time to cheer at a football game?

Lastly, if this yelling and cheering is coming from "casual" fans, they probably do not have a profile set up on here (ES). Did you ever think of that genius?

So what? You clearly have no understanding what a discussion board is, do you? Lots of people criticize the coaches and the players on ES. I guess no one should post about the Redskins because coaches and players have no ES profile. Geez, get up on the wrong side of the bed today. Shoot the messenger instead of the message, GENIUS?

This is overblown. Not as bad as hokies games where you have repeatedly spell **** out to drunk freshmen. There were less than an handful of instances where Rex had to quiet the crowd (two that I recall).

Where this thread should concentrate it's ire is the fact that no one gets loud on D till the offensive huddle breaks. I get loud as soon as the opposition's offense huddles up when they have the ball, and so should everyone else. Disrupting audibles is fun, but getting so loud they can't hear the play in the huddle is better.

Crazy Levi's point seems to be that you paid all this money, so if you want to go out of your way to make it difficult for the redskins to play you can.

Huh?

When did I say that? If you can find it, I'll be happy to send $500 to the charity of your choice. It seems that one of ESers' favorite argument gambits is "So what you are saying is..."

Uhhh...no it isn't. What I am saying is what I said.

That this stuff goes on at other stadiums (not just Fed Ex - which is the whole point of this thread).

That most of the people in this thread are extremely whiny know it alls who are hating on the wrong people - those who actually ATTEND Redskins games (which as anyone who goes can tell you is a rarer breed than ever).

That it isn't actually an issue - it's not NEARLY as loud as people are saying it was and it didn't hurt the Redskins in any way.

That ESers really seem to hate their fellow Skins fans. They Do the O. They cheer on Offense. They are too quiet on Defense. They don't sing Hail to the Redskins. They do, but they don't get the words right.They don't know the intricacies of the Tuck Rule. Etc. etc. etc. Seriously, do you realize how petty and mean-spirited you all are coming off as?

That's what I am saying. Sorry I wasn't clear enough about that.

Ridiculous. Price is not an issue. Tickets were going for ELEVEN BUCKS for the Cardinals game.

Just face it - many of the "die hard" fans who are so much better than the people actually showing up don't WANT to go to games anymore. They are too lazy and cheap and would rather just sit at home. So why hate on the people who DO go?

I'm not "hating" on anyone and we both know that ticket prices are not the only way fans get gouged at Redskin games. You must be one of the non-rich, football-intelligent fans (of which there are many, but not enough anymore) and I certainly respect you for that. Kudos.

Challenge accepted

Huh?

When did I say that? If you can find it, I'll be happy to send $500 to the charity of your choice. It seems that one of ESers' favorite argument gambits is "So what you are saying is..."

Uhhh...no it isn't. What I am saying is what I said.

That this stuff goes on at other stadiums (not just Fed Ex - which is the whole point of this thread).

That most of the people in this thread are extremely whiny know it alls who are hating on the wrong people - those who actually ATTEND Redskins games (which as anyone who goes can tell you is a rarer breed than ever).

That it isn't actually an issue - it's not NEARLY as loud as people are saying it is.

That ESers really seem to hate their fellow Skins fans. They Do the O. They cheer on Offense. They are too quiet on Defense. They don't know the intracacies of the Tuck Rule. Etc. etc. etc.

That's what I am saying. Sorry I wasn't clear enough about that.

Here's the proof:

The topic is about the fans being loud when the team is on offense. Here you are talking about why we shouldn't have a problem with it, and responding 'precisely' to a comment that is exactly what i said it was: justifying it by saying they paid money and spent time to be there, so they can do what they want

I'm kinda surprised by how much everybody here seems to hate their fellow Redskins fans. "You come late...You leave early...do the O...make noise...why don't you guys just STAY HOME!?"

Maybe you guys should stay home if really find everybody there so loathesome.

Instead of just hating everybodys' guts, I actually talked to a bunch of people in my row on Sunday and found them to be very cool people. Gasp!

---------- Post added September-20th-2011 at 02:48 PM ----------

What the heck is this?

Sounds like Gran Torino meets the old timers to me

Redskins fans aren't stupid because they aren't quiet at games

They pay 200 just like you to see the game and drink and have a good time

Why so serious?

Thinking that unless the stadium is silent we are screwed to me isn't giving the team credit

They are used to playing on the road, where noise is a big issue

If you were saying the fans yelled during the offense and were quiet when the Defense was out there I would agree with you

Sounds like you might be outliving going to games

About the song you need to remember that this teams not had much to cheer about for years

And that we are like the only professional team with a fight song these days

Reading that the newer younger fans (30 and below) don't know the song doesn't surprise me all that much

Precisely.

You either don't understand what the thread is about, or you don't understand what you're saying.

Either way you've made it perfectly clear you think it's just fine that our fans try to be loud while our team is on offense.

You can make your donation to:

http://www.alz.org/join_the_cause_donate.asp?gclid=CP2HztTCrKsCFSM65Qodv2jo4g

Don't forget to fill out the tax deduction stuff.

Meh, if I pay good money to see the Skin (big IF) then I'll cheer when I want. As for "casual" good for you that you have money to spend on a regular basis and time to spend. Some of us don't. So when we do spend the money and time to go to a Redskins game, we'll cheer when and how we want. You can just get all up tight the next week when we're not there. Or vent about it on a message board

Price is a very big issue. The cost of two season tickets and a parking pass is about $2,000 and up depending where you sit. Most blue collar, middle income fans cannot afford season tickets and either gave them up to watch on TV or resell many games so they can attend a few games. Businesses buy up season tickets andt then give them to employees or clients; typically different people for each game; others are owned by brokers who sell them to visiting team fans or casual (attending) fans. All of these situations discourages a knowledgeable fan base that knows how to properlly act at a live football game. Some just do not know the proper etiquette, others see it as a chance to get rip roaring drunk and start fights or puke or pass out; while others are visiting team fans.

All of this affects the quality of the fan in the stand....even if those casual or visiting team fans only paid $11....because die hard fans have been priced out of the market on the season ticket package.

Price is a very big issue. The cost of two season tickets and a parking pass is about $2,000 and up depending where you sit. Most blue collar, middle income fans cannot afford season tickets and either gave them up to watch on TV or resell many games so they can attend a few games. All of this affects the quality of the fan in the stand....even if those casual or visiting team fans only paid $11....because die hard fans have been priced out of the market on the season ticket package.

Thanks for completely ignoring my post.

Tickets were ELEVEN DOLLARS for the game last week. The cost of season tickets has nothing to do with it. You are trying to blame the supposedly sorry state of the Redskins fanbase on the "wine and cheese" crowd and that's ridiculous.

There are people who can afford to go out and do stuff, and those who can't. Nobody is staying home because tickets are too expensive - yeah, maybe season tix aren't such a hot deal but there are literally thousands of tickets every week going cheap.

Anybody with 11 bucks and a metro ticket could have gone to Sunday's game.

Meh, if I pay good money to see the Skin (big IF) then I'll cheer when I want. As for "casual" good for you that you have money to spend on a regular basis and time to spend. Some of us don't. So when we do spend the money and time to go to a Redskins game, we'll cheer when and how we want. You can just get all up tight the next week when we're not there. Or vent about it on a message board

Your "I'll cheer whenever I want to attitude" just proves that you are not an uneducated fan but just a dumb fan because you would prefer to be so selfish as to make it more difficult for your own team to hear the signals and score. Yeah,......you're a real great fan......

No, you're just a very selfish person..

Archived