Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don't fall asleep on the Cards

Burgold

The Cards haven't been dealt yet, but I hope we go all in. That's to say, for years, the Redskins have overlooked teams and have self inflated their ego only to meet a pin and lose to the worst of teams.

Well, the Cards are not the worst of teams. Yes, a rookie threw for 400 yards on them, but in a game that they had the offensive firepower to overcome. The Cards offense carried them.

Our team needs to be sharp to beat the Cards. We are not there yet and need not to overstate the Giants' game. Truth is, we don't know who this team is yet and neither do the Redskins. They are in the proving stage and we need them to prove it.

So, in that sence the Cards are a tricky, dangerous team. If we are a good team we should win, but we have to play like a good team to do so and take them seriously. As fans, we've been focusing on one lousy game of defense by Arizona and completely ignoring what must have been a good offensive game.

Our defense is unproven. Our o-line is inconsistent. We need to take everyone seriously or we'll wind up losing to the Lions, Rams, and zero win teams again.

I don't think Shanny will let this team fall asleep. If they don't it will be one more positive step forward.

Couldn't agree more but this is where having Shanahan pays off, I can't even comprehend him letting the team take this lightly. Discipline is the answer to trap games, to the up-n-down seasons, to taking teams lightly or "playing down" to the opposition, and that is one of the key elements we have lacked for so long. I could see someone getting Shanny's famous foot in the ass as an object lesson this week.

Burgold,

I was thinking the same thing.

The Cards are not too far removed from being a (good) playoff team.

Last year, without a QB, they didn't go anywhere. No they have a QB that some think is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if they are an 8-8 or 10-6 type team this year.

So yeah... Don't sleep on the Cards!

Didn't they win by a kick off return? How is the Panthers Defense? We can't over look anyone at this point but I think we got this game.

I don't know... remember, just five short weeks ago, we were considered the thirty-eighth worst team in the NFL. Heck, I saw some power polls that listed the Redskins as the 73rd worst team in the NFL and they listed some high schools above us (why they were included I don't know. Not only that, but remember, we have the worst QB situation not only this year, but in league history and half the fans were hoping we would tank the season so we could get Luck-y.

But to be serious, this team is still growing and awkward and it can't afford to sleepwalk or make any assumptions yet. That's how we have lost so many games in the past. It's one of the reasons that the psuedo guarentee made by Hightower makes me nervous.

I watched the Cards/Panthers on NFL replay last night. To be honest, I don't think the Cards looked that impressive given as to who they were playing against. However, at the same time, we've seen the Redskins falter against opponents like this time and time again following big wins where we think the team has turned a corner.

Honestly I look at this game as another "Show me things have changed" game. This is the type of game that should be won. if the 'Skins have truly turned a new page and have taken some type of step towards a culture of winning, if people are here to play every week.

The odds are never favorable for a West Coast team, traveling East, and playing a morning game. Whether or not the Cards end up a good or bad team, they aren't an elite team, so this should definitely affect them as well.

My biggest fear about this game is mostly because it is sandwiched between to huge NFC East showdowns. With a MNF battle against arch-rival Dallas coming up next Monday, I have no doubt in my mind that coaches already have the team preparing for that game as well, as I believe I have heard multiple time from coaches that extra prep has to be done for division games because of how familiar division opponents happen to be with each other.

From what I saw week 1, there is no way the Cardinals will out-physical the 'Skins unless their heads are not in the game. At the same time the 'Skins are not a good enough team yet to afford to make mental mistakes or turnovers to any opponent and still expect to win.

The strategy should be to put a lot of effort into scoring early. (Of course you want to score early, right...I meant more of having aggressive play-calling right off the bat) Have the Cardinals on their heels and wanting to fly back to Arizona. Get their heads out of the game. Keep the home crowd energized etc etc....

I don't know why people think the fans underestimating a team matters in the least. You know who can't sleep on them? The Redskins. We as fans can if you so choose. I don't. As a coach, I know better than to get locked into believing you're better, even if you are. It must be proven. :)

Their QB is unproven also. Kevin Kolb has been annoited as a savior for the Arizona Cardinals based on 4 or 5 games that he started, four of those with the Eagles. He is on the same level in some ways as Matt Schaub when he was in Atlanta backing up Vick before he went to Houston. I think Schaub is a very good QB but isn't an elite QB that everyone thought he would be. So now Kevin Kolb is getting the same treatment that Schaub was given back then. So no one should sleep on the Cards or any team for that matter but the Cards aren't that good.

Couldn't agree more but this is where having Shanahan pays off, I can't even comprehend him letting the team take this lightly. Discipline is the answer to trap games, to the up-n-down seasons, to taking teams lightly or "playing down" to the opposition, and that is one of the key elements we have lacked for so long. I could see someone getting Shanny's famous foot in the ass as an object lesson this week.

Very true - if the Redskins lay a turd in this game it will make the Giants win look like fool's gold. I've scooped up that same fool's gold many times in the past 15 years from the skins, I'm waiting until week 5 or 6 until I determine if they are any good....

I don't know why people think the fans underestimating a team matters in the least. You know who can't sleep on them? The Redskins. We as fans can if you so choose. I don't. As a coach, I know better than to get locked into believing you're better, even if you are. It must be proven. :)

Never underestimate the power nor the influence of the 12th man :tantrum:

True, and I don't think Mike Shannahan will fall asleep on any team. He knows the Redskins are not fully put together let alone that is just not his way.

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 08:32 AM ----------

Never underestimate the power nor the influence of the 12th man :tantrum:

I think the players have said as much in the past, shame on those fans who don't fully support the team at the stadium, but I don't think that has anything to do with the Cards in particular.

We, the fans, are taking this game lightly. Not the team. These guys came in on Monday to study films and prepare for Cardinals. In the past, I would be worry. But not this year team. You didn't see them jump up and down after the Giants win. They were all focus for the next game. Our overall talents is better than AZ. We don't have big name but we finally play like a team. Am I worry ? No. Just because we trash talk in here doesn't mean the team is also. Go watch Grossman and HT interviews yesterday.

I agree KDawg. Obviously some people on here may get a little over-confident, but I don't believe that's happening @ Redskins Park. As LD pointed out above, for once it seems like we have a HC that has instilled a sense of awareness in the players the likes of which we haven't seen in a very long time. Players appear to be anxious to absorb information, not only about themselves, the team, the system, but also about their opponents. Its like they see the big picture much more clearly now than years past, and recognize that it's simply not enough to talk the talk, but they truly have to put in the work week in and week out, to be able walk the walk. My hope is that the giants game was a microcosm of how this team is going to carry itself this year. I'm hoping they're going into every game with a desire to win, and win at all costs, attempt to execute every detail to their best of their ability, and even if it appears that they are not as good as the team across the ball from them, don't show it, fight them to the very last minute. I think that attitude will carry them through the tough games, hopefully producing victories. I believe that attitude will carry them through this year, and hopefully at the end of the year they'll lift their heads up and realize that they've accomplished more than what anybody expected of them. Thats my hope for this team, and thats what i'll look for week in and week out. Not who's starting what position, or who had a good game, who had a bad game, etc... but moreso how they respond (both individually and as a team) to the adversities they face.

Hail!

This isn't the same Redskins team of the last 5 years. Long gone are the overpaid vets who when faced with adversity crumbled or a team that had perfected snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This is a young, hungry squad where most of the older players come from a winning atmosphere (Coefield, Bowen, Chester, even Rex). This 2011 team has the ability to score a touchdown at any point whether it be on offense, defense or special teams.

This isn't the same Redskins team of the last 5 years.

I think so too. I argued the same in the preseason, but they still need to prove it. In a way, this week is an even bigger test than the one against the Giants to show that they are not the same ole Redskins of the last decade.

I think the main area we need to improve on is first quarter scoring and scoring first.

I seems it most always takes the first quarter before the offense gets going and usually the opposing team scores first.

Whatever the reason, being it nerves, overly pumped up and not being relaxed or whatever, I think if we can correct this our chance of winning greatly increases.

A team like the Cardinals, with a suspect secondary would be a great opportunity to make a stride in this area.

If we score first, the defense can play more aggressively with a lead and has more opportunities to create turnovers early in the game.

Archived