Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN (New York): Antrel Rolle "Giants the better team"(merged)

Commander PK

From Real Redskins

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2011/09/rolle-says-skins-would-beat-giants-five-of-100-times.html

It looked like the Redskins’ fourth attempt to expand their lead had come up empty. On a third and nine play from the Washington 45 with just over eight minutes left to play, Fred Davis had to go to the ground to catch Rex Grossman’s pass two yards short of the first-down marker.

But the Redskins then got a break. Safety Antrel Rolle came in and hit Davis while he was on the ground. A second later, a flag flew and Rolle was penalized for unnecessary roughness. Five plays later, Grossman threw a four-yard touchdown pass to Jabar Gaffney and the Redskins’ six-game losing streak against the Giants was all but over.

Both Rolle and Giants coach Tom Coughlin disagreed with the call. “The penalty in the drive, which there’s no one touching the receiver [when he first went to the ground],” Coughlin said. “That’s a very difficult call for me.” The coach did say that since the call was on the other side of the field he did not have a very good view of it.

Rolle thought he did nothing wrong. "I definitely didn't lead with my helmet," Rolle said. "To say I led with my helmet is definitely crazy. I've never, ever tackled any opponent by leading with my helmet."

6a015432d86661970c014e8b7d44d6970d-800wi

Whatever you say, Antrel. You clearly have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Someone please tweet that quote to Antrel and then twitpic that picture to him after it.

Just makes the W all that much more sweeter, knowing we really got under their skin. Ahhh thank you for that Antrel, I'm glad we pissed you off as much as the Giants have pissed me off the last few years.

---------- Post added September-13th-2011 at 10:47 PM ----------

6a015432d86661970c014e8b7d44d6970d-800wi

Whatever you say, Antrel. You clearly have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Na man, he's just trying to give him a back massage.

I think what ticks me off more is Coughlin. Dude, you lost. Your team lost, and they lost big.

God, just man up, say "We didn't win today, the Redskins played a good game, we got beat, but we'll come back and be better". That's it? Why are you complaing about ref calls like a player. Anyone who sees the replay KNOWS Antrel led with his helmet.

Take a page from the Mike Tomlin playbook, congratulate the other team on the win, say you need to work harder.

No excuses, no explanations, ya jerk.

I think what ticks me off more is Coughlin. Dude, you lost. Your team lost, and they lost big.

God, just man up, say "We didn't win today, the Redskins played a good game, we got beat, but we'll come back and be better". That's it? Why are you complaing about ref calls like a player. Anyone who sees the replay KNOWS Antrel led with his helmet.

Is he still ****ing about it or was that after the game?

I'm sure he's watched the game since Sunday and there's no way that wasn't leading with the helmet.

As ridiculous as Rolle's statement was, his sentence is not broken English. Washington Redskins is a single entity, not plural, so the word "is" is correctly used.

Not to be the grammar police here, but since you brought it up, you are actually wrong about this.

As you say, singular verbs do follow an entity (e.g. "Congress is . . . " or "Washington is . . ."). However, a mascot like "the Redskins" does not work that way, because it is a plural word. Saying "the Redskins" is not the same as saying "Washington." "Washington" is a singular word, "Redskins" is a plural word.

Think about it this way: Would you say, "the Redskins win" (plural), or would you say, "the Redskins wins" (singular)? If you would say, "the Redskins win," then you should say, "the Redskins are . . . " (plural).

Saying "the Redskins is . . ." actually is bad grammar. The fact that so many people are unsure of this tells me that many of America's English teachers failed at their jobs somewhere along the way.

Thank you, Antrelle.

Not only did you help us seal the game by diving helmet first into Freddy D, but you just gave the team that just beat you extra motivation. You are SMART.

I thought that was him. What he should've said was "If it weren't for my dumb penalty, we would've had a chance to win the game."

That sort of thing is what makes no sense. Why not tell everyone you can't wait to play the skins again to prove you're better than what you showed? But no, you just make yourself look like you have sour grapes (which you do) and you make yourself look like an idiot.

Not to be the grammar police here, but since you brought it up, you are actually wrong about this.

As you say, singular verbs do follow an entity (e.g. "Congress is . . . " or "Washington is . . ."). However, a mascot like "the Redskins" does not work that way, because it is a plural word. Saying "the Redskins" is not the same as saying "Washington." "Washington" is a singular word, "Redskins" is a plural word.

Think about it this way: Would you say, "the Redskins win" (plural), or would you say, "the Redskins wins" (singular)? If you would say, "the Redskins win," then you should say, "the Redskins are . . . " (plural).

Saying "the Redskins is . . ." actually is bad grammar. The fact that so many people are unsure of this tells me that many of America's English teachers failed at their jobs somewhere along the way.

Ending in "s" doesn't make a word plural. The word, Redskins, in this case, is referring to the name of the team, not a collection of individual mascots. "Redskins" can't be judged on it's own anyway, as the entire team name is "Washington Redskins". If my name was Jim Jones, people wouldn't say, "Jim Jones are good at grammar" simply because Jones ends with "s".

Stanford Cardinal IS singular. Washington Redskins IS singular. There IS only 1 Stanford Cardinal football team. There IS only 1 Washington Redskins football team.

Antrel Rolle still remains an idiot for his comment.

Antrelle Rolle has it backwards. The Redskins are a better team than the Giants. They proved it Sunday. The two teams matched up, and the Redskins outplayed the Giants with the offense executing at will on the Giants defense and the Redskins defense manhandling the Giants offense. Which ever team defeated who last is the better team. In the last game of the season last year, the Giants narrowly escaped with a win against a 6-10 team. That to me says a lot. This Redskin team in 2011 is not the one in 2010. Rolle should know that.

Archived