Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants miscues helped the Skins win this one big time......

kingdaddy

I'm proud of the way the Skins played yesterday. They are going to fight every game under Shanahan, that much is for sure. But watching the game I couldn't help but think the Giants did their part in getting the Skins the win.

1).(Second half) 4th and 1 for the Giants inside the Skins 40 yard line and they run Bradshaw right up the middle for a loss of one? Why is Brandon Jacobs on your roster if you don't use him in this spot. The Skins had trouble tackling Jacobs all game and by handing the ball to Bradshaw I thought the Giants did us a big favor. Play action would have been a better call than running Bradshaw in that spot. But Jacobs would have been the best call.

2). Antrel Rolle's personal foul on the third down play on our defenseless receiver. This play pretty much doomed the Giants chances of winning the game. The Skins would have had to punt but instead got a gift 1st down and went on to score the clinching TD. Game over.

3). Terrible play call by the Giants inside their own 10 yard line which turned into a pick 6 for Ryan Kerrigan. Again, why not bulldoze Brandon Jacobs at least one time to get yourself some breathing room rather than throw a high risk quick hitter deep in your own territory. Give Kerrigan credit for a great individual play, but give the Giants blame for a risky play call with terrible execution.

4). The Giants special teams play was pretty pathetic. They had a field goal blocked, and they committed stupid penalties which called back decent punt returns or, in some cases, no return at all where they were still penalized. Why hold a guy at the line of scrimmage during a kick? Dumb.

5). Tom Coughlin is a terrible whiner. I can't say for sure, but, Coughlin's constant whining has to play into the character of his team. I don't think he agreed with a single call the officials made in this game. And when something went wrong in his own teams play, you'd see him looking like he was about ready to cry. Too much drama from a head coach for my liking.

WTF is this?

In every win the losing team can look at mistakes made with hindsight

Was it a mistake that Ryan Kerrigan made a hell of an athletic play to put us up on top for good?

Nope

I don't see the point in this post, enjoy the win

Yes we have work to do but non NFL team wins games without a bit of good fortune

Better to be lucky then good

And yesterday when your lucky and good there is no stopping you

Hail

Ahmad Bradshaw isn't some stiff or rookie, he should be able to get a yard. Now, I was wondering why they didn't run Jacobs too personally also. But they ran the starting RB and with all that penetration, even Jacobs would've got stuffed.

And I would disagree that a quick hitter is a high risk play. The man was open. And Aikman called it during the game, the RT didn't do his job and get Kerrigan's hands down. If you don't block properly, no play call is gonna work. The playcall was fine. The execution, not so much.

The Skins were good yesterday, no doubt, I'm pumped after this win. And, I think they'll get better as we go. Just pointing out that the Giants did their part to help us.

Kerrigan, Nield, Cofield, Rak, will all grow together.

And I did enjoy the win. Still am enjoying it even more today.

I think the point of his post is to temper expectations a bit, which I do believe is a valid point. We have people that think Rex is going to throw for 500 yards and 6 TDs against Arizona next week for Gibbs sake :ols:

That said, I'm not sure that this is the way to do it. The Giants made mistakes, as do all teams that lose football games. The takeaway is that we have a football team. Are we Super Bowl bound? I'd say no, I'd even say we may not be playoff bound... But, we have a football team. I haven't seen a real football team here in years. YEARS. We are going to be real good real soon. Relax and enjoy :)

The Skins were good yesterday, no doubt, I'm pumped after this win. And, I think they'll get better as we go. Just pointing out that the Giants did their part to help us.

My point is that any losing NFL team can say they helped the other team win the game

And after not beating the Giants for 3 years straight my question to you is

Who the hell cares?

Enjoy the win, style points are for losers

On the goal line stand with the penetration we had it wouldn't have mattered. That was good defense.

On the Kerrigan interception, the ball was on the 9 and not the two. A pass play is pretty common in that place in fact it usually works because the defense is so keyed to stop the run. Think of how many big gains have been made in the past against us in that same exact situation.

The spearing was a dumb play. I'll give ya that one.

Why not see the Redskins special teams as being good?

The 'skins played well and forced some mistakes. The Giants were not riddled with penalties, sloppy turnovers, and bad play. The Redskins beat them. Enjoy it.

WTF is this?

In every win the losing team can look at mistakes made with hindsight

Was it a mistake that Ryan Kerrigan made a hell of an athletic play to put us up on top for good?

Nope

I don't see the point in this post, enjoy the win

Yes we have work to do but non NFL team wins games without a bit of good fortune

Better to be lucky then good

And yesterday when your lucky and good there is no stopping you

Hail

Exactly! plus OP, If you're going to run through the laundry list of "miscues" by the Giants which contributed to the win. Why not mention the miscues by the Redskins? Lets not treat this like we won this game by luck. Miscues and Injuries are only used as excuses to diminish the validity of a win. I'm a bit surprised that a fan of the winning team would go to such lengths to do so. Truth is, we out-coached and out-played the Giants yesterday. Lets be happy for the win and hope we continue this into week 2 vs Arizona.

2). Antrel Rolle's personal foul on the third down play on our defenseless receiver. This play pretty much doomed the Giants chances of winning the game. The Skins would have had to punt but instead got a gift 1st down and went on to score the clinching TD. Game over.

They talked about this some on Mike and Mike this morning, with Golic all upset calling it a lousy call, and Green disagreeing with him.

Golic is, of course 100% wrong on this. Golic thought Aikman was wrong when he said Rolle should've just touched him and the play would be over. He said the WR could've have stilled rolled and got the 1st down, and Rolle needed to stop him.

For one thing:

WRONG. The receiver was down. If you just touch him, the play is over. He can't keep rolling.

And for another:

Rolle was not called because he landed on the guy to stop him. He was called for a personal foul for leading with his helmet. You DO NOT leave your feet and come at someone helmet first. That is why Rolle was flagged. It was unnecessary. Hence the foul's name "unnecessary roughness".

Golic needs to read the rules better.

I think the point of his post is to temper expectations a bit, which I do believe is a valid point. We have people that think Rex is going to throw for 500 yards and 6 TDs against Arizona next week for Gibbs sake :ols:

That said, I'm not sure that this is the way to do it. The Giants made mistakes, as do all teams that lose football games. The takeaway is that we have a football team. Are we Super Bowl bound? I'd say no, I'd even say we may not be playoff bound... But, we have a football team. I haven't seen a real football team here in years. YEARS. We are going to be real good real soon. Relax and enjoy :)

My point is that this game was pretty even except for some critical mistakes at critical times by the Giants. I'm not questioning that the Skins had drops, penalties, etc....too. Maybe I should change my thread title to say the Skins kept their poise much more so than the Giants did in the second half?

I also agree that Kerrigan made an outstanding play to give the Skins the lead. Grossman's throw to Gaffney for the 4th TD, after Rolle's penalty, was also a perfect throw as was his first TD pass in the corner on the fade route.

Sure bro., but thats every game in sports. Teams will make mistakes. The one who capitalizes the most on those mistakes will win the game. It just seemed like you where apologizing for the Giants a bit. Its not like things went perfectly for the Redskins either (Reed getting beat deep in coverage as usual, Rex's fumble, Trent getting beat like he stole something...). Yet we overcame adversity and the Giants never did.

Every losing team "does its part" to help the wining team win. There's never been a game in the history of the NFL where that didn't happen.

Good teams take advantage of their opponent's mistakes.

Simple as that.

Yesterday, for the first time in forever. we capitalized on the opponent's mistakes, rather than vice versa.

There is no negative in this.

I would say that in all sports games played, 75% of them are lost rather than won. 3/4ths of the time a game ends up the way it does because of the mistakes one of the teams or players make.

~Bang

Yes, the Giants did miscue...most teams do at some point in a game. The important point is that we we're now capable of taking advantage of those miscues and capitalizing on them. We had plenty of miscues in the game, but the Giants didn't, or couldn't, exploit them. We won it just as much as you claim they lost it.

Miscues are a part of every win and loss. 'Skins stepped up yesterday and won outright. I'm proud of the way our rookies played and how accurate Grossman was with his throws. The O-Line still needs some work, but I think they will get better and our running game will get better as a result. Enjoy the win and look forward to next week!

The giants are going to say we beat them undermanned with so many of their starters out.

Frankly, the penalty 'blow to the head' thing could have been called earlier. There was a play where Fred Davis got sandwiched and Kenny whats his name hit fred high into the chin strap no call.

Archived