Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If this isn't evidence of an anti-Skins bias on ESPN, I don't know what is (current NFL standings)

skinsarethebest

We've always hypothesized that ESPN will never give the Skins their props ... and I guess this is just one more example to fit into that category

In their link to the current standings based on pre-season record, we are, surprise surprise, BEHIND Dallas even though we have a better record (2-0 vs. 1-0).

Maybe one could say this was purely because of an "alphabetical" listing? >>> nope ... look at Detroit and Chicago.

And is it because of points differential? .. Nope - we are +22 to their +1

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

EDIT: OP here - yes, it seems that ESPN has indeed corrected their standings, so that we are officially atop the NFC East.

I'm not at all up in arms about this whole affair (for instance, didn't call for a boycott of ESPN) so please don't mistake me for a conspiracy theory nut. I just found what happened earlier this morning interesting and noteworthy. So please take that for what it's worth.

And yes, I realize this is only pre-season. The only point I was trying to make is that ESPN really really doesn't seem to like to give us any respect. I have a feeling a lot of you out there also agree.

HTTR!

Coming from the Extremely Stupid Peoples Network, or Cowboys Channel for short; this comes as NO surprise.

Anyone that wants to deny that station is pro Dallas clearly has their head stuck DEEP in the sand. The Redskin thing is just a natural bi-product of that.

Hail.

*Edit* That said, NFL.com has the exact same standings: http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2011-PRE&split=Overall So it's further reaching than ESPN.

Of course there is a 'Skins bias on that network but I will say that scoring 16 pts in two games, even though we won, has caused us to be in 2nd place. If we had more TDs, the point diff would be higher and we'd be in first place.

:helmet:

Not even the slightest doubt about ESPN being Luke Warm on the Redskins. This stems from way back in the days when we just couldn't beat Dallas. Actually that's just about the time ESPN started. This kinda stuff is nothin new. It's never going to change because we're just not the pretty boyz of the league.

Suits us well because we are always the underdog anyway.

Dan :logo:

Those ****s!!! :taz:

Honestly though, did anyone watch sportscenter yesterday morning? I'm fairly sure I watched it 3 or 4 times, and still don't recall seeing anything about the skins/colts game. However this morning, they've got 2 or 3 segments devoted to the colts. I know the GM made statements about #18 yesterday so they've got to cover that, but I just found it odd that they couldn't make mention of the #18 issue the day after the colts lose to the Skins. :evilg:

Not even the slightest doubt about ESPN being Luke Warm on the Redskins. This stems from way back in the days when we just couldn't beat Dallas. Actually that's just about the time ESPN started. This kinda stuff is nothin new. It's never going to change because we're just not the pretty boyz of the league.

Suits us well because we are always the underdog

Dan :logo:

Actually ESPN predates the first of our three Lombardi Trophies.

The most important part of the preseason isn't the exactly stats. I like to judge preseason by the continuity and rhythm you can feel as you watch the first stringers play the first stringers of the opposition. I like to see that this continuity and rhythm is established on it's own merit and not having to force you first stringers to play against the oppositions second or third stringers to attempt to develop some continuity and rhythm.

We've got that much. That's all I need to see and hope the team is healthy going into week 1.

=Snap=

The recent history of our beloved franchise is unalloyed suckage, from meddling owner to loud-mouthed know-nothing bag -o-talent GM to a ten-year litany of overpaid, underperforming, past-their-prime diva veterans. Joe Gibbs was able to fashion a couple of silk purses from sow's ears while he was here, but that was as good as it has gotten for us since 1999, when boy wonder sacked his erstwhile winningest coach.

This team has been train wreck, and it is going to take more than a few less-than-meaningful wins over teams putting forth questionable effort to change public perception.

Having said that I am catiously hopeful that we have turned the corner and are building for solid growth in the future. No one is enamored with either of our QBs, and even a cursory glance at current sports media will confirm the perception that the NFL is a QB-driven league. Sure, the Skins did it with three non - superstar QBs back in the day, but they also had all-pros stacked like cordwood, happy to be role players on a JKC's well-paid juggernaut. The league is a different place now, and it remains to be seen if a QB tandem such as the Redskins plan to employ can really get it done.

A solid winning streak with quality wins over good teams will put us back in the good graces of ESPN in short order. Those success-whores will be swinging on the Redskins' collective jocks in no time if we can pull some convincing upsets. Given our post-Gibbs1 record of failure, we should expect nothing less than severe skepticism from all but the most Homeristic media outlets.

This will only change when Sean Salisbury walks back to Bristol naked as the bet he lost requires.

---------- Post added August-21st-2011 at 11:59 AM ----------

The recent history of our beloved franchise is unalloyed suckage, from meddling owner to loud-mouthed know-nothing bag -o-talent GM to a ten-year litany of overpaid, underperforming, past-their-prime diva veterans. Joe Gibbs was able to fashion a couple of silk purses from sow's ears while he was here, but that was as good as it has gotten for us since 1999, when boy wonder sacked his erstwhile winningest coach.

This team has been train wreck, and it is going to take more than a few less-than-meaningful wins over teams putting forth questionable effort to change public perception.

Having said that I am catiously hopeful that we have turned the corner and are building for solid growth in the future. No one is enamored with either of our QBs, and even a cursory glance at current sports media will confirm the perception that the NFL is a QB-driven league. Sure, the Skins did it with three non - superstar QBs back in the day, but they also all-pros stacked like cordwood, happy to be role players on a JKC's well-paid juggernaut. The league is a different place now, and it remains to be seen if a QB tandem such as the Redskins plan to employ can really get it done.

A solid winning streak with quality wins over good teams will put us back in the good graces of ESPN in short order. Those success-whores will be swinging on the Redskins' collective jocks in no time if we can pull some convincing upsets. Given our post-Gibbs1 record of failure, we should expect nothing less than severe skepticism from all but the most Homeristic media outlets.

Dude, that hurts my eyes.

Archived