Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex Grossman 207 yards first half?

21cents

again, the "this is The pre-season" excuse. i guess i cant really argue because it is the preseason but regardless how disciplined we may look, if you only cant score and be way below avg league of 24 pts, ur not gonna win many games unless u have exceptional defense like the ravens or the steelers.

If they would have played 4 quarters, I'd be willing to bet we would have had at least 24 points.

i guess im going to be the party pooper.

am i the only one that could care less about the total passing yard and more worried about TD numbers?

he threw for that many yards but managed to throw only one TD. it means we can move theball but we can do anything once we are in the opponent side of the field/red zone.

this has been our issue with different coaching staff and with different QBs. and we whine about it every year but when a QB throws for decent number of yards in first half, we get all excited.

i want TDs. i have suffered so much for our offense to be elite. meaning, i want TDs. forget FGs. ive seen enough for so many years where we move the ball but cant score TDs. that is why we are always below the average pts scored in the nfl. we have hovered around 15-16 pts per game for i dont know how many years.

no, im not impressed. ill be impressed when we start scoring TDs and hover around the leagues avg of 24 pts per game.

In 2009, we were one of the best in the red zone, despite having no run threat (better than any NFC-East team and significantly better than 3 of the top scoring offenses) . In fact, our whole short game was solid given no real running game but we had absolutely no big game. Although we started bad in the red zone in 2005 (at one time during that season we were near the bottom), we finished as the 11th best. The reason you probably feel we were so bad in the red-zone (with the exception of last year because we were bad) is that we have been in lost so many close games in the past 5-6 years so every miss is a killer.

again, the "this is The pre-season" excuse. i guess i cant really argue because it is the preseason but regardless how disciplined we may look, if you only cant score and be way below avg league of 24 pts, ur not gonna win many games unless u have exceptional defense like the ravens or the steelers.

i think youre reading too much into it. he's saying we looked disciplined- no stupid penalties, mistakes. players flying all over the place. o line blocking, d line penetrating. forget the score. this kind of play is what this team needs, and the points will come.

yup ben only played 1 series.

and our pro bowl safeties (yes, they are that important) didnt play at all. big deal. point is, we looked like a football team for the first time in a very long time.

btw- steelers were the #2 D in the league last year. relax.

i think youre reading too much into it. he's saying we looked disciplined- no stupid penalties, mistakes. players flying all over the place. o line blocking, d line penetrating. forget the score. this kind of play is what this team needs, and the points will come.

and our pro bowl safeties (yes, they are that important) didnt play at all. big deal. point is, we looked like a football team for the first time in a very long time.

btw- steelers were the #2 D in the league last year. relax.

ummmm but their pro bowl safety didnt play either. and probably the best defensive player iin the league. and if im not mistaken harrison didnt play. and while their starting qb played one series, our would be starting qb played the entire half against mostly back up steelers players. both our offense and defense went up against steelers back up offense and defense most of the 1st half.

ummmm but their pro bowl safety didnt play either. and probably the best defensive player iin the league. and if im not mistaken harrison didnt play. and while their starting qb played one series, our would be starting qb played the entire half against mostly back up steelers players. both our offense and defense went up against steelers back up offense and defense most of the 1st half.

Don't you get sick of this? Or do you revel in the baseless negativity that doesn't even have a CHANCE of being proven valid or invalid until the regular season is underway? Our positivity might seem just as baseless to YOU, despite pages worth of debate to the contrary, but at least its not as mind-numbingly monotonous and predictable as your opposing posts.

There's nothing to do but wait and see if things have changed. So why not sit back and allow yourself to be at the very least very cautiously optimistic? In my experience, that never let's you down. There's little risk involved, and its just as rational.

Rex could've had 400 yards and 5 TDs in a half, and a certain portion of the fanbase would still find a way to **** on it.

Let it go Conn. He's not going to stop lol

Actually your responses are pretty humorous....but since I think he's after attention more than anything, I discourage them. I see where he's coming from, as often times more positive posts are overlooked in the sea of opinion.

Either way hehe

I'm more surprised that so many of you are surprised.

We saw what Rex could do with protection, when he had it, LY. With upgrades at every single position around him going up against a vanilla preseason defense, what did you expect?

EXACTLY My Thoughts!

I was pretty happy with the OL play tonight. Rex looked smooth, much like he did last year when he was given the time.

I still say we aren't as doomed as many around here are saying.

Rex could've had 400 yards and 5 TDs in a half, and a certain portion of the fanbase would still find a way to **** on it.

Let it go Conn. He's not going to stop lol

Actually your responses are pretty humorous....but since I think he's after attention more than anything, I discourage them. I see where he's coming from, as often times more positive posts are overlooked in the sea of opinion.

Either way hehe

You're totally correct, but I somehow find it impossible to let it go. :ols:

You're totally correct, but I somehow find it impossible to let it go. :ols:

Hahaha I've noticed, and as I said its pretty amusing. Like trying to talk a deaf man out of jumping from the roof of a tall building. No worries, seems like the overly negative portion of the fanbase comes out in full force every year around this time. Just means it's the fun time of the year!

So, do you like Blackberry or Iphone. My fingers are too big for....

What impressed me more is the OFFENSIVE LINE play, especially against the 1st string Steelers defense...and Hightowers quickness

I appreciate everyone who could see the game laying it out for us geographically challenged individuals.

This is exactly what I was wanting to hear about, the O-line and more specifically the pass blocking. Monty moving over to C and adding Chester may be the upgrade needed for this O to put it all together.

Bahahaha

Such a funny moment. I turned the volume up when he was saying that.

You don't often hear such obviously forced conversation on air. I was uncomfortable just listening to it. Feel bad for Mr. Oldman voice in the booth.

Back when big satellite dishes were all the rage, I used to watch NBA games on the live feeds without cuts to commercials. Bill Walton, when he thought he was off air, was pure gold. His cohort really made him look bad, basically saying he should be fired. Walton sounded close to tears. Hilarity.

Anyways, this moment reminded me of that, though not nearly as crazy as Walton was.

I appreciate everyone who could see the game laying it out for us geographically challenged individuals.

This is exactly what I was wanting to hear about, the O-line and more specifically the pass blocking. Monty moving over to C and adding Chester may be the upgrade needed for this O to put it all together.

Keep a look out here on ES for links to the game being broadcasted through an internet site. I thought I was going to be sulking here in Boston, and then all of the sudden I clicked on a link I found here in the Stadium and I haven't stopped smiling since. :)

I expected Rex to be good, but he was better. He was confident about it, too. If he starts getting too ****y, then starts getting hit a lot.. that's when those picks start happenin. He surely will start getting hit a lot, at least sometimes, so Rex is the one needs to not get 'overly excited' about a half of preseason football. But in the scope of a preseason football game, it was above average performance with great numbers. Good stuff.

I think another good thing to point out is the defense beat the hell out of the other team and injured some of them. Remember last year where we were injuring everyone in like a 5 week span? A ****ty thing to brag about, but at least shows toughness. We heard about the guys fighting/hitting hard at camp this week. I like it.

I'm just saving this spot for when someone posts Tomlins comments after the game that I just heard on NFL Live. Unless you just watched the interview, i'll leave it a bit of a secret cause I think you might appreciate it :) I'll check back in later and update.

EDIT: Here's a hint, it starts with "we just got..."

This is the first preseason game I can remember not laying a GIANT turd by the starters.

The first preseason game where I can say I see some promise in the team as assembled.

I can only come away with a positive.

Every year, for all the hype going into preseason, our players performed like duds, and carried that into the regular season.

Tonight we at least looked disciplined, deep at multiple positions, and leaving a feeling of hope going forward.

I am not calling them super bowl winners, just saying for once in DECADES we came out with our first stringers and didn't lay a turd.

Whats that mean in preseason? NOTHING.

But it is more promising than anything our starters did in game 1 preseason I can remember.

As far as scoring touchdowns, this isn't the same roster as last year. Converting touchdowns will be something to keep an eye on in coming weeks.

BTW, did you see where we started our first possession? Last years team would have gone 3 and out.

We attempted a field goal.

This is so.....SOOOOO wrong...

Last year in our pre-season opener we blew out the Bills. People were excited because the year before the Bills had the 1st or 2nd best passing defense in the league. Everyone played well. McNabb played for a series or 2 and tossed a td and then sat down

So as a Skins fan, you have selective memory. Let's not get carried away

He looked good. I think the coaches know what they get out of Grossman, but they think Beck has a lot of upside and that's why there is a competition. They have know idea what they get in Beck in a real, gametime situation. The Legend of John Beck will continue until he plays and shows his stuff. Who knows he could put on a clinic next week and we'll be talking differently.

HTTR

I'm just saving this spot for when someone posts Tomlins comments after the game that I just heard on NFL Live. Unless you just watched the interview, i'll leave it a bit of a secret cause I think you might appreciate it :) I'll check back in later and update.

EDIT: Here's a hint, it starts with "we just got..."

""Quite frankly, we got outplayed in just about all areas: blocking, tackling, running, throwing, kicking. That team was better prepared tonight than us. They showed it. We accept that..."

Nice Tomlin quote lol...

Keep a look out here on ES for links to the game being broadcasted through an internet site. I thought I was going to be sulking here in Boston, and then all of the sudden I clicked on a link I found here in the Stadium and I haven't stopped smiling since. :)

Right on...appreciate the link info. Used to have DirectTV in NV but not any more since the move up herein AK. I figured it would take the team a few years to be good and the absence of DTV would be justified. Gonna lose my mind if the Dragon keeps up the "F it...we're winning the East" mentality and they actually do, lol.

Archived