Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex Grossman 207 yards first half?

21cents

Grossman played with poise. I think he's matured, and that should serve him and his team well this year. The o-line looked excellent, especially on those stretch plays. If Hightower and co. keep running this well, then Grossman should really excel with play action. I don't think we'll be beating many teams with the deep ball, but if our defense continues to show up like they did tonight, then we may not need to. This season may be more interesting than I expected. I don't see us making the play-offs, but I don't think we'll be as embarrassing as many analysts think, and that will be because of Grossman's more mature game.

Grossman did look more comfortable. No batted balls. He had a bunch last year. He also didn't look as skittish. That might be a byproduct of his line protecting better. In my eyes Beck has his work cut out. Right now I'd be shocked if Beck was the starter against the Giants. If he does win the job, it means he was superb.

again, the "this is The pre-season" excuse. i guess i cant really argue because it is the preseason but regardless how disciplined we may look, if you only cant score and be way below avg league of 24 pts, ur not gonna win many games unless u have exceptional defense like the ravens or the steelers.

I've seen several of your posts about this game and while most of them seem overly negative (while many posters' opinions seem overly positive) I will definitely agree with you that we have struggled with punching it in and this is DEFINITELY something we need to improve on in order to win more games. Not punching it in has been the reason we've lost close games in the past by letting teams stick around (think Texans game last year).

That is something that needs improving in the bigger picture. However, looking at that particular drive, you absolutely have to be impressed with what our offense did. The Steelers entire starting defense was on the field as it was our first offensive series. They have us on our own 1 yard line and we drive 80+ yards on them. If Gano is kicking, I have to believe we come away with 3 there. As you said, the Steelers have an exceptional defense. Coming away with any points on a drive starting from your own 1 yard line is a victory.

But yes, if that is a regular season game, I believe it could be the difference in the game if we take our first drive to the house - especially from the 1 yard line. So stash this as me agreeing with you on the big picture, but I thought overall, that's a damn good start. If you want to erase the entire rest of the first half by Grossman and the offense because they weren't playing against exclusively 1st stringers, they were on that series and they lit them up. I'm sure they were missing a guy or two on offense and defense but we were missing our two starting safeties - one of which may be the best player on our defense and the other a playmaker (and Horton was definitely everyone seems to be down on for his performance filling in for Atogwe).

STOP! STOP! It is preseason. Not a real game, but Preseason! Don't get all excited because we scored on the second team of Pittsburgh. The real test will be against Baltimore in three weeks.

This isn't exactly news. We all know it's preseason.

Still, the Skins ALWAYS look terrible in preseason, and they continue to look just as terrible in the regular season.

Therefore, it follows that people around here could be excited that for once, the team, offense in particular, did NOT look completely inept.

Yes it's preseason, but we saw some things we liked today.

So sue us.

You really think people's optimism and positivity from last night's game was due simply to scoring a TD? lol :doh:...

Exactly. The things many of us are excited about have nothing to do with who we played or the score. It's a culture change, and it's refreshing.

I swear, people just didn't watch Rex play last year. Go watch the giants game or cowboys game on You Tube. He was damn good at times. Yes, he turned the ball over -- lots of QBs do. He was also playing for his career -- talk about pressure.

Rich Campbell said it best. Worst case scenario is Grossman runs the offense better than McNabb did.

And the best case?

I say it's among league leader in yards and touchdowns.

In this offense, it's not insane to predict.

STOP! STOP! It is preseason. Not a real game, but Preseason! Don't get all excited because we scored on the second team of Pittsburgh. The real test will be against Baltimore in three weeks.

We never score much against Baltimore. They also dominate the Skins physically. I don't think that game will be a real test at all, as Shanahan will not show his cards, if he thinks he has any. It he doesn't think he has any cards, he'll show them, and then it will be a real test, kind of like sisyphus.

Yeah, the Cannon is back, the Dragon is unleashed, for now.

LOLOL

".....I'm goin' deep!'

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 12:49 AM ----------

I'm in the Club of Culture change.

I know it's just a matter of Time.

My team doesn't Really Want to Hurt Me.

We're changing like a Chameleon with good Karma. Gotta be patient, though, because it comes and goes.

:rubeyes:

Wow. You went there. :ols:

For those trying to downplay the offense's performance in the first half because the Steelers had some second-stringers in and were missing Polamalu, I have this to say. Don't you want your first string to dominate another team's second string? Isn't that what a good team should do? Nevermind the fact that most of the first string defense of the Steelers were still in, just a few were replaced.

I will also say this, had they not dominated, I know damn well that the posters in here trying to ruin the positive feelings we all have right now would absolutely do everything they possible can in every thread to remind us all about the fact that our first stringers couldn't hold their own against the Steelers second string. I know it all too well and if you don't, you're only kidding yourself.

Yes, it's the preseason, and yes, it's only one game of said preseason but, damnit, it was one heck of a statement. Now let's see if we can make some more statements.

The sex cannon delivered tonight.

I was impressed by his arm-strength and accuracy, but I was most impressed by his leadership. He clearly knows the offense well, he showed poise in the pocket, and he managed the two-minute drill well.

There were a couple mistakes, including a poorly thrown ball that was almost intercepted in the red-zone, and overall red-zone inefficiency. Nonetheless, 200 yards in a half and a 70% completion rate is nothing to sneeze at. Rex looked good.

The dragon has been unleashed! The big question now is: Can he play like this consistently? Everybody knows Rex can play. The concern is that he has a history of up and down performances.

I still want to see more from Rex, and I still want to see what Beck can do.

good concentration and flow from Grossman

Good play calling to create a flow from Kyle

good cohesion on a number of plays from the OLine

Good protection in most instances and good pick ups by THT

-------------------

I saw a good consistent effort by a Offensive unit that didn't play consistently last year. This was by all accounts the step in the right direction that was anticipated and what was shown.

Let's not forget:::: Grossman forced a throw in the redzone and should have been an interception as he didn't see the middle linebacker. That would have changed everything. There was a fine line that ended up well this time around. I will wait for some sort of similar signs in week 2 that will show more consistency is the trend.

Am I happy about Grossman's play? Yes.

Am I satisfied. Yes.

Will Beck need to repeat the consistency Grossman displayed this week to win the starting job? Yes.

Is this Grossman's job to lose? Yes. It always was and BA didn't want to pay starter money to Rex Grossman this year, so they didn't. Rex didn't have any place else to go, so it was supply and demand. Grossman only has one option and that's to play so well that they have to pay him more money.

Beck can come in and play consistently and make a competition out of it. If he is confident and plays within the plan and system he will do well. Much like Grossman displayed. To say that 'Grossman has set the bar high'...Not really in the fact that he did what he was supposed to do. He didn't throw long passes or make huge plays. He just played motivated and good concentration. Everybody knows he can do this for a half. The consistency and concentration must last for 4 quarters and over a span of games. Not just one half or a game. Consistency will win with this system and Grossman just has to be consistent.

Bring on a healthy Beck and let's see if he can match the consistency.

Archived