Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rex Grossman 207 yards first half?

21cents

Spurrier saying he was the best QB he ever coached doesn't really say that much since Gator receivers have done much better in the NFL than their QBs.

But Shanahan has a long history of giving a long look at players that Spurrier has coached. They go way back. Grossman in the right system and with a good OL can do well. He showed that at UF too when he went downhill after Spurrier left.

Picking up Gaffney showed me that Shanahan is serious about Grossman. Gaffney was stunned by the trade since things seemed to be going well for him in Denver.

I am not ready to judge this team as division champs................yet.

But the teams play looked really good, especially against the Steelers, this was not some chump team, it was a team that pretty much have most all of'

their starters set for the season.

To me, Rex looked composed, worked within the system, got rid of the ball very quickly at times, and yes, Rex being Rex went deep, even though the correct play was to Davis on the shorter route,

But I was not expecting perfection. To me Rex looked like he was ready for the season to start, not struggling as you would expect a QB who has had a short TC and his first preseason game.

The O-Line looked like a unit, they worked well together.

But since this was the first time Skins players actually got to hit some people, there was alot of solid tackling.

I do find it funny in all the comments about the game and the offensive performance, I have not read a lot of comments about Kyle's play calling.

Why is that ? The offense looks good, not much said. But if they had been trash there would have been three (at least) threads about how Kyle play calling sucked.:pfft:

Ahh yes, the is ES. Almost forgot.:ols:

As a Bears fan I cannot believe how many people are so surprised when Grossman put up big numbers, hes done it in the NFL so many times. In 2007 the year the bears made the superbowl Rex tied with Peyton Manning for most games with QB rating over 100 (7). He also had some laughably bad games, where the offense couldn't move the ball and the Bears receivers couldn't get any separation but Rex kept defiantly chucking it down field anyway.

He has so much arm talent and a compact, fast release. Admittedly he is not very mobile, and Oline performance is directly correlated to his performance(See Manning, Peyton). His downfall is just that when the offense isn't moving he starts to get anxious and tries to force things down field. It' just maturity, and I think his age and this coaching staff this year can finally help Rex take that last step.

Rex has always had elite talent, just mentality that was holding him back. Spurrior said that Grossman may have been the most talented QB he ever coached, an hes seen a lot of high powered offenses. Rex could have a probowl season this year, avergaing 300+ yards per game he has that type of talent, if he can just limit the mistakes when the offense is stalling.

I think RG will put up Matt Shcaub type numbers this year, same offense scheme, same arm talent.

From your lips to God's ears, amigo.

Speaking of perspective, it was a blown assignment by Horton. You know, the guy who is 4th on the depth chart trying to run with the starters. Our starting safeties are both out.

So if you're going to play, the "what if" game, by all means, let's play.

what if's are not the point

i'm just trying to point out that if they score on that play the needle probably swings the other way and there's alot of needless hand wringing and "here we go again".

you basically prove my point by elaborating that it was a blown assignment by a sub. as a fan if you understand that and keep things in perspective all the better.

like i've said in other threads, i am optimistic that the teams is finally moving in the right direction, but it's just one pre-season game. give it time.

hail

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Jason Campbell threw 200 yards in the first half against the Patriots in a preseason game a couple years ago. Didn't work out so well.

Rex did look good out there though, I was very pleased with his play. He and Santana are clearly on the same page.

"I'm not super excited by Grossman. I think once the season starts and the games get more intense, he won't do as well. But that's just my opinion"

Well sure, If your expecting Rex to average 400yd 2td 0 int games(as this last performance would scale to) you are bound to be disappointed. The point is that he CAN produce those kind of games in this system. And not many think he can. That doesnt mean he won't have bad days every QB does.

I think it is a double standard in the media that when most qbs play that well it's because they are GOOD but when RG does it, it is only because he was lucky or the defense sucked etc...

Give him a shot is all Im saying, I think most skins fans are on board with this.

Archived