Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BET: Planking: What’s All the Controversy About?

ljs

whatever happened to streaking? I say bring back naked people running through a crowd again like the good ole days and leave off this lying on your tummy fad.

Streaking will get you arrested and or fined. Planking will only get you made fun of for following the crowd.

Streaking will get you arrested and or fined. Planking will only get you made fun of for following the crowd.

Streaking would probably get you on the sex offenders lists these days too.

I am all for streaking coming back, but only hot women should be allowed to streak.

Is the act of "Planking" racist? No, does it have racist undertones? NO....What this article doesn't correctly address is that the term "Planking" was coined to describe the method of stacking slaves on the slave ships to transport them across to the "free world". Slaves where shackled at the neck and ankles and stacked 7 high for the duration of the voyage. They ate, drank, pissed and shi**ed in this position and when some died they were easily yanked out of the "Planking" position by the chains away from family and friends and thrown overboard. This is why some people are offended...It's not the act... it's the term. Most people don't know, didn't know or understand the correlation. As a Black Man am I offended? hell no but I do understand why people who understand the significance of the term don't like it.....With that said it's just people having fun with a fad.

267437_10150248414463685_514508684_7355515

Gilbert Arenas planking a cake. He was subsequently kicked out of the place. :ols:

This is slightly amusing to me, because Arenas is lying down face first in a cake.

The fact that he's "planking" means nothing to my sense of humor over it.

I keep seeing people on the internet saying that planking is "hilarious." Why? Because they're lying down somewhere that it's unusual to lie down on/in/at?

That's really comedy to some people?

Planking is hilarious. It's like parkour for those who can't be arsed.

I don't think I understand anything being said in this post.

(I do know what parkour is though, if that helps)

the idea of planking is to do it in a weird place. its not just "lying down", as lying down you just kinda let gravity do its job. planking you go stiff, which adds to the oddity of the scenario. as others mentioned, its goofy. and doing it in public places with a lot of people observing your shenanigans makes it more fun.

and now an obligatory planking photo:

planking02.jpg

Is the act of "Planking" racist? No, does it have racist undertones? NO....What this article doesn't correctly address is that the term "Planking" was coined to describe the method of stacking slaves on the slave ships to transport them across to the "free world". Slaves where shackled at the neck and ankles and stacked 7 high for the duration of the voyage. They ate, drank, pissed and shi**ed in this position and when some died they were easily yanked out of the "Planking" position by the chains away from family and friends and thrown overboard. This is why some people are offended...It's not the act... it's the term. Most people don't know, didn't know or understand the correlation. As a Black Man am I offended? hell no but I do understand why people who understand the significance of the term don't like it.....With that said it's just people having fun with a fad.

Can't believe everything you read on the internets man.....

I know what you said and that picture have made it's way around the twitterverse, but as far as I can tell there is zero truth to it. None whatsoever. Unsourced nonsense.

I have yet to see any credible source that dates the term "planking" to the slavery era. Or even before 2007 :ols:

Can't believe everything you read on the internets man.....

I know what you said and that picture have made it's way around the twitterverse, but as far as I can tell there is zero truth to it. None whatsoever. Unsourced nonsense.

I have yet to see any credible source that dates the term "planking" to the slavery era. Or even before 2007 :ols:

...or, even if it is true, it was two Aussies who coined the term for what they're doing. So unless that's how England shipped their criminals, it should have had no context like that to those guys

This is slightly amusing to me, because Arenas is lying down face first in a cake.

The fact that he's "planking" means nothing to my sense of humor over it.

I keep seeing people on the internet saying that planking is "hilarious." Why? Because they're lying down somewhere that it's unusual to lie down on/in/at?

That's really comedy to some people?

I think it looks absolutely retarded, especially if done in a place no one expects, like the picture PokerPacker posted. The stupidity behind it makes me laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

Planking stupid & should get no attention what so ever. Also to say that it racist because slaves might have had to lay on their stomachs on the slave ships is just rediculous. I planked in my bed last night wearing a cotton (slaves picked cotton) shirt & shorts, I guess I most be the biggest Kracker on the planet. Besides it was started in either England or Canada depending on who you believe (some say Australia).

Archived