Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Face of the defense

Hitman21ST

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We haven't had one of these in a while, and we have all new players since the last poll, so here we go.

Who's the face of the Washington Redskins defense?

LaRon Landry: Close to becoming ranked among Polamalu and Reed as the best safeties in the league. Took over our secondary after Sean Taylor passed away (RIP). An athletic freak who can do just about anything you ask of him.

London Fletcher: The ironman of the defense. Hasn't missed a game in forever. Always there when you need him, knows where to be to make the play. Can count on him for 100 tackles, excels in any defense you put him in. Only player on the defense with a Super Bowl ring.

Brian Orakpo: One of the top up and coming pass rushers in the NFL. An athletic freak, compared to Clay Matthews and DeMarcus Ware in terms of ability and potential. Made the Pro Bowl in his first two seasons.

DeAngelo Hall: The sleeper of the group, but almost single-handedly won two games for us. Tied the record for interceptions in a game. Gambles a lot, but has improved his tackling and physicality. One of the more vocal players on the defense.

---------- Post added July-3rd-2011 at 11:28 PM ----------

Anyone going to explain their reasoning, or is this a one-post thread?

Hard choice between Fletcher and Orakpo. Landry has to play at that level for another season and while I like Hall...he just doesn't feel like it.

I voted for Orakpo, but it could easily be Fletcher.

That was about my reasoning too, behind Orakpo. He'll be here for the foreseeable future, and Fletcher (unfortunately) has to retire eventually.

So sad, just read the previous thread. Gotta move on though, voted fletch. Ll30 is a beast but he can be easily abused in coverage. Orakpo will be a stud in the future, but I think he has to find his nitch before we call him the leader. Deangelo is a beast, IMO, but he is the rodent danger field of the NFL, no respect, so by default that leaves our ironman, our cheap mans Ray Lewis, our vocal leader, #59. I just saw the vid where he punked bjacobs27 , guys a stud, glad he is representing my favorite football team!

Hail!

I love Fletch, but, while still good, he wasn't quite as effective playing in a 3-4 with this joke of a DL. Orakpo was also hurt by a weak DL, statistically he had a better rookie year in a 4-3.

Eyetest says Landry, and I don't think the others came that close in terms of positive impact on the football game. If you're going by leadership and professionalism, then London is a shoe-in. If you're in love with Rak, you'll pick him ;p

If you're objective about it, and don't hold the years at FS against him....the answer is Landry.

Fletch has been playing at a high level since he has been here. On top of that he is the heart and soul of the defense. Fans like the flashy plays so Landry, Hall, and Orakpo might get votes. London Fletcher just goes hard every game, every down. You ask the Redskins defense who is the face of the defense and they would say London Fletcher.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'face'.

I think London Fletcher is the most important player on our defense and one of the more important players on our team.

It's vague on purpose. Leave it open to people's interpretations. But I took it to mean, when you hear "Redskins Defense" who initially comes to mind?

It has to be Fletch with a 2nd place vote for Orakpo and then Landry. With how bad the D was last year it would be DHall for 2010...

This from Doug Farrar- 2nd worst CB in the NFL in burn rate.

DeAngelo Hall(notes), Washington Redskins: 70.7% 70 burns on 99 targets, 1,055 yards, 9 TD, 16 passes defensed

Hall is the Forrest Gump of cornerbacks — he'll have multi-pick games based on a mystical "right-place/right-time" ability, but he'll also run around in circles and get torched by scrubs. Washington seems the perfect spot for this talented but wildly inconsistent player.

I went with Rak. Mostly because of popularity. DHall just doesn't have it. Hence why the OP called him the sleeper. LL is great but I think getting hurt last year hurt his standing. If you aren't on the field, you are quickly forgotten (at least on the "face of defense" scale). Fletch is getting old and just isn't as flashy. I would call him the locker room leader. But that doesn't add up to jersey sales. Rak sells jerseys. He is the sexy pick. That is who the media loves the most. And, to me, that is what makes a person the "face". Right or wrong as that may be.

It's Fletcher. He's the guy who organized the OTA's. He's the guy calling the plays and teaching the rooks and keeping them together.

I was tempted to say that the Defense has no face and no identity as of right now. Landry could be a star, but he's not a leader. Hall tries hard to be the fire under this team, but often winds up supporting guys at the wrong time and saying dumb stuff. Orakpo right now is a player. He has the stats, but he isn't a game changer. He isn't a force within this defense. Last year, this defense had no force.

So, it's Fletcher or it's someone who hasn't emerged yet.

I don't think you can look past London Fletcher - he is the heart and soul of the defense and just about the only thing which held it together last season. In time Orakpo may become the face but not yet.

I have to say it is hard to look past London - but he is not going to be here forever unfortunatly

I really have high hopes for Lorenzo Alexander to step up into Londons shoes when he hangs the cleats .

A lot of non-Redskins fans I know often associate Hall with the defense, but I guess that's because he is in some ways the most recognizable player out of the group.

This is why I voted Hall. To Redskins fans, it's Fletcher by a mile, with 'Rak and Landry bringing up a far distant 2nd. From a league standpoint, it's Hall. He's the most recognizable player as far as other teams' fans are concerned.

It depends what you mean by "face."

On the field, and in the locker room, it's Fletch by a country mile and then some. Heck knows what state we'd be in as a football team, never mind defense, without his influence on everyone concerned. He's the glue that holds it all together.

But I'm sure the Redskins would see Landry, Orakpo and Hall; the big play, big money guys as the face of the D. Their the most marketable, and produce the most highlight reel pieces.

Hail.

Archived