Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever had your ears irrigated ?

Mickalino

I remember a long, long time ago, many, many years past, that I went into my doctor for some completely un-related reason, and he ended up asking if he could do a ear irrigation on me. I didn't go in there for my ears, at all. So, he takes this giant hose and and with super-powered strength penetrates into my ear hole. It was so strong, I thought my brains were going to shoot out the other end (maybe they did, and that's part of my problem. But I remember thick cakes of ear wax dropping out left and right (maybe that was my brains, and not actually ear wax). I was amazed at the buildup.

After that, I was completely refreshed. My ears were clear, and it was like feeling a cool breeze in my ears. And of course, my hearing was better. It was like a power-washing of the ear walls. Or a colon-cleansing of the ear canals, if you will.

But ever since that time, I've never heard a doctor, or any person, for that matter, speak on the subject of ear irrigation. Which surprises me, because, I would think it should be a regular thing. Every time I see my current (different than the original doctor) doctor, I'm tempted to ask about it, but I chicken out. I'm kind of wondering if that's why my hearing has worsened.

Just curious if anyone has had any experience on this.

I had it done just a few months ago. I mentioned during my physical that it seemed like every time I went swimming over the last year my ear would get clogged up, and would take a long time to drain and the over-the-counter fixes weren't working for me.

The thing they used was like a cross between a hypodermic needle and a french press coffee. Water bottle-thick where it held the mineral water, with an extension thingy and a plunger to shoot the water into my ear. Took them a little while, but so much better after they were done. The stuff that came out when they were finished was pretty gross, and it was kind of astonishing how much of it there was.

But, they should be able to easily see wax buildup when they check your ears

Just when you thought Mick would run a little low on topics for threads. :paranoid: Yes I have,and I've also had way too much experience irrigating ears per my time as a medic. There are very few things that can gross me out these days,(again courtesy of being a medic). I mean I've been pissed on,**** on,thrown up on,spit on,bled on,(few times by the same patient),so it takes a lot to make me even a little queasy. What comes out of a person's ear however,does just that. It's not a bad thing to have it done,just a bit nasty.

Oh. And never use or let anyone use cold water when doing so,(google it up if necessary).

There are very few things that can gross me out these days,(again courtesy of being a medic). I mean I've been pissed on,**** on,thrown up on,spit on,bled on,(few times by the same patient What comes out of a person's ear however,does just that.

Wow, you would equate ear wax with all of that ?

It's not a bad thing to have it done,just a bit nasty.

Kind of like the theory, that your own **** and your own farts don't stink :ols:

I used to have a real problem when I was a kid - especially on vacations at the beach. I would practically be deaf b/c of the immense wax buildup.

The dr. plunged me out and you would not believe what came out... huge balls of wax.. some of it was black...

I bought a nice bulb that I still use but not nearly as much anymore.

And isn't there a chemical you add with the do-it-yourself kit ?

And it probably only works, if you've done it frequently, and not waited a long time, right ?

There is a chemical (which is probably 99% hydrogen peroxide), but I have found that warm water does fine. I have done it just for a regular cleaning and when the ear has been totally impacted. It may take a while when it is impacted, 10-15 squirts.

Hell yeah. I had it done in January this year. They pulled two big toosie roll wax balls out my ears. Felt like they were taking some brain tissue or somethinig. Afterward I felt like a mutant because I could hear everything. I swear I could hear what people thought.

Archived