Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox News Sunday - Chris Wallace interviews Jon Stewart

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Guest Spearfeather
However, I don't agree that Fox News is the only media outlet that espouses conservative ideas. Talk radio is thoroughly dominated by ultra-conservative commentators. Print media generally leans left, but there are numerous conservative print media outlets (e.g., the Wall Street Journal and the National Review). And the interwebz is full of conservative blogs and news sites.

Well, see how you replaced my " Cable/Network " news with your " media outlets "? I never said that FOX was the only conservative media outlet.

Talk radio is ruled by conservatives, no doubt. Print media, I agree, does lean to the left

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 03:28 AM ----------

Uh, yeah.

that was exactly the point I was making.

Hey.

Your shoe is untied.

~Bang

Weak.

Stewart is very funny and it is true that he blasts all the media but as a liberal it must be admitted that he does bash Fox in a different way than others. Fox he routinely destroys for it's obvious bias and lack of objective news. When he bashes other news organizations, mostly CNN, it's for being lazy.

Also, to be fair, Stewart certainly has not taken on President Obama or the Democrats like he did Bush and the Republicans. His show prior to 2008 mostly took on the Administration in power. Since the election, while he does take shots at the President from time to time, his program is mostly a critique of the media (with Fox being the main target).

So certainly I can see where people can make the claim that Stewart has not backed up his claim to be an equal opportunity critic.

As a liberal I find his show entertaining but it's geared for me, no matter what Stewart tries to claim otherwise.

Also, to be fair, Stewart certainly has not taken on President Obama or the Democrats like he did Bush and the Republicans. His show prior to 2008 mostly took on the Administration in power. Since the election, while he does take shots at the President from time to time, his program is mostly a critique of the media (with Fox being the main target).

I would say that, since the build up to the 2008 election, the media (particularly Fox) has become more absurd and given him a lot more to critique.

Stewart is very funny and it is true that he blasts all the media but as a liberal it must be admitted that he does bash Fox in a different way than others. Fox he routinely destroys for it's obvious bias and lack of objective news. When he bashes other news organizations, mostly CNN, it's for being lazy.

So certainly I can see where people can make the claim that Stewart has not backed up his claim to be an equal opportunity critic.

As a liberal I find his show entertaining but it's geared for me, no matter what Stewart tries to claim otherwise.

See even some liberals can see JS for what he is. He should just man-up and accept & proclaim his liberalism. He doesn't go that far off the reservation that's for sure. He lost all credibility when he claims the NY Times is not a partisan liberal news organization. Even ardent liberals would concede that. Although that was a good interview I guess it's hard to be too self critical on national TV.

Why should I care what JS thinks?

Is this what news is now?

Apparenly, Chris Matthews and his producers think so. They opened the show with how they've been trying to get Stewart on their show for almost an entire year. He's the guy they most want.

(actually, I kind of agree with you. Although what would be fun would be if they invited him on their panel to discuss the news and politics of the day, however, since they wanted to deligitimize him they couldn't do that. I think FOX has a credibility and integrity problem and they want to deal with it by taking on their critics. Jon Stewart has become that. In my view, it would be better if they would look in the mirror or at least at the criticism and work on those aspects which they find have real merit. FOX ought to serve the "conservative" public, but it really can't until it puts more boots on the streets and does honest, investigative reporting and interviews and moreover, and begins putting a heavier emphasis on getting the story right. Telling the story should be more important than fulfilling their agenda. Right now, too often, the agenda supercedes everything. And that's why they never win these arguments with Jon Stewart, because he is right. Hell, Matthews admitted it on his show.

Today, FOX doesn't need to do that because they are profitable and popular. They got to be profitable and popular through the use of the tactics the incorporate today although in the stress of constantly one-upping themselves I think they need to recognize when they go to far. News is supposed to be a public service, it is supposed to be a check on government and industry. It can't be if you can't trust them. You can't trust them if they are agenda driven.)

A couple of things:

1. Of course he's going to cater to his audience.

2. Equal bashing would mean equal reasons to bash. CNN doesn't equal Fox. Obama doesn't equal Bush. "The other side does it too" defense is total bull****.

Henry,

John Stewart has a comedy show that is nothing but current events with a spin on them. Just like Colbert they are informing people that don't have the fortitude to deal with the minutia that is politics.

We are getting both of their spin which is a bit left leaning, and they deny it by saying its just comedy.

The unfortunate point in all of this is that no matter their view on abortion/welfare/war... 70% of the time they are correct, and the other 30 is still damn funny so who cares.

I hope i don't wander too far out there now disclaimer:

It's like chocolate milk in school, I know we ***** about the sugar etc, but when they banned it quite a few got no milk. I'd settle for 70+% benefit vs. possible downside if the consumers do nothing else..

I'd bet Jon Stewart would agree he is the chocolate milk of prime time. :)

Well, see how you replaced my " Cable/Network " news with your " media outlets "? I never said that FOX was the only conservative media outlet.

Talk radio is ruled by conservatives, no doubt. Print media, I agree, does lean to the left

---------- Post added June-21st-2011 at 03:28 AM ----------

Weak.

What, you didn't want to leave your diaper comment up from last night?

So tell me, O' defender of lies,, o protector of propaganda...

if you AGREE there's a bias in the news, why doesn't it just piss you off to no end that they felt it necessary to EDIT OUT the most damning evidence against Fox's claim to be a "news organization" when Stewart brought it up on Wallace's show?

The fact that you don't says a lot about you and your opinion on this matter.

It's my thinking that if you complain about bias, but then accept bias as the solution, then you're not much smarter than a **** throwing monkey chattering and screaming at passers-by in the zoo.

You're not against bias.

You just want one you agree with.

And that makes you part of the problem, actually makes you the pawn with which the propagandists use to make the problem worse. You happily dance to their tune.

So quit dancing on your strings, marionette. Fox is indefensible. Open up your brain and maybe next time we can talk about these things like grown ups.

~Bang

See even some liberals can see JS for what he is. He should just man-up and accept & proclaim his liberalism. He doesn't go that far off the reservation that's for sure. He lost all credibility when he claims the NY Times is not a partisan liberal news organization. Even ardent liberals would concede that. Although that was a good interview I guess it's hard to be too self critical on national TV.

Stewart never says he's anything BUT a liberal.

The number of things you don't know is astounding. But please continue, because it is pretty funny when you pretend you do and post things like this.

Credibility... he's a damn comedian, and the fact that he gets more truth out in 5 minutesthan Fox does all day just pisses you guys off SO much that you try to elevate him to a level in which you can attempt to knock him over.

It doesn't work. The guy is right about the media, no matter which side of the aisle he's on.

~Bang

Their viewpoint or angle is different from the others, so essentially they are going against the grain. I don't know what you mean by " outsider " and " maverick ". Does FOX call themselves the " Outsider network "?

Activist propaganda? That's a good one, in light of the " Lean Forward " network.

Fox is mainstream, the play on the their audiences desire to be seen as the only ones getting the truth and underdogs.

Yet they want to claim that while claiming to have the top rated shows in night time news programming and want to say there are more of us than there is of you.

As for Stewart being some radical liberal

The comedian also showcased his serious side, admitting that he voted for George H.W. Bush because "there was an integrity about him that I respected greatly," and revealing his disappointment in President Barack Obama because, "I thought he understood the corrosiveness of the system that existed, and I thought he was going to do more to blow the system up."

Bush Sr was a good president too bad he was not reelected with 8 years of Clinton after

Chris Wallace held his own pretty well as I saw Jon Stewart laying some pretty nasty traps in that interview and Wallace danced around almost effortlessly. All in all I felt that was an awesome interview to watch. Jon Stewart interviews, be it on his show or another, are generally great TV.

Jon Stewart is a brilliant satirist, comedian and yes, political pundit (whether he wants to be or admits to be, he is).

This was a great interview. One where both men held their own and made their points.

Stewart does go after both sides, and does go after the buill****. But only the partisans think he does so with equal fervor to both sides.

It's like a Duke fan claiming they dont get referee biases by pointing out the couple of calls that went against them.

Stewart does go after both sides, and does go after the buill****. But only the partisans think he does so with equal fervor to both sides.

That's not what seems important at least to me. What seems important is that they seem unable to catch him in an exaggeration, lie, or goof. If he's correct and factual then does it really matter if he's liberal or conservative? Does it matter if he shines the harsh light of truth on conservatives more often? If there's a wrong and it's pointed out it ought to be fixed. They shouldn't whine that only their wrongs are picked on. Take responsibility and get better.

On the side, you'd think with all the clips and gags he's pulled there'd be a load of material that would show Stewart's mirror to society to be of the fun house variety. The fact that the argument seems to be... yeah, that's an accurate depiction and we can't counter what you're saying, but... is a problem. They can't put up a mirror to his face and say... Hey, your reality, your depictions are fabrications. Your misleading people when you state this.

Jon Stewart is a brilliant satirist, comedian and yes, political pundit (whether he wants to be or admits to be, he is).

This was a great interview. One where both men held their own and made their points.

It's like a Duke fan claiming they dont get referee biases by pointing out the couple of calls that went against them.

i don't think it's equal,, I think it comes a lot based on what presents itself, and I think Fox presents him with a lot of material, not just for what they do, but they get their feathers all ruffled over it when he picks on them. And as with any smartass, once he knows he can needle you that just makes it all the more fun.

I think he goes after Fox more than other media, but he doesn't ignore them either.. he plays CNN as if they're nothing but idiots,, last night making fun of Wolf Blitzer was pretty funny, and they also made fun of CNN, MSNBC and Fox all cutting AWAY from Nancy Pelosi's daily press conference immediately after she said she wouldn't discuss Anthony Weiner.. she said "I want to talk about jobs and the economy"... and they all cut away,,, and then there's Wolf after the cutaway saying that he'd much rather talk about the economy or jobs.. but instead talks about Anothony Weiner, even as Pelosi was speaking about jobs and the economy.

Made Blitzer look like a complete jackass.

In fact, with the Anthony Weiner thing, they played a joke for a week that because Stewart and Weiner are former college roommates, that Stewart didn't want to cut him up like he does everyone else. He played it like he was being forced to cover it, and how much of a letdown it was.. kind of like "I prop you up, and this is what you do" kind of thing.. It was pretty funny, and made fun of his own "bias" in the process. They even did a bit with Stewart faking a resignation speech because he wasn't able to be as funny about the Weiner story.

~Bang

That's not what seems important at least to me. What seems important is that they seem unable to catch him in an exaggeration, lie, or goof. If he's correct and factual then does it really matter if he's liberal or conservative? Does it matter if he shines the harsh light of truth on conservatives more often? If there's a wrong and it's pointed out it ought to be fixed. They shouldn't whine that only their wrongs are picked on. Take responsibility and get better.

On the side, you'd think with all the clips and gags he's pulled there'd be a load of material that would show Stewart's mirror to society to be of the fun house variety. The fact that the argument seems to be... yeah, that's an accurate depiction and we can't counter what you're saying, but... is a problem. They can't put up a mirror to his face and say... Hey, your reality, your depictions are fabrications. Your misleading people when you state this.

I dont think he ever lies. I just think he has an overwhelming tendancy to goof and expose people or organizations that he opposes more than he does to those he supports. And by that act, or lack thereof, he paints a picture that one side or organization is worse than the other.

i don't think it's equal,, I think it comes a lot based on what presents itself, and I think Fox presents him with a lot of material, not just for what they do, but they get their feathers all ruffled over it when he picks on them. And as with any smartass, once he knows he can needle you that just makes it all the more fun.

I think he goes after Fox more than other media, but he doesn't ignore them either.. he plays CNN as if they're nothing but idiots,, last night making fun of Wolf Blitzer was pretty funny, and they also made fun of CNN, MSNBC and Fox all cutting AWAY from Nancy Pelosi's daily press conference immediately after she said she wouldn't discuss Anthony Weiner.. she said "I want to talk about jobs and the economy"... and they all cut away,,, and then there's Wolf after the cutaway saying that he'd much rather talk about the economy or jobs.. but instead talks about Anothony Weiner, even as Pelosi was speaking about jobs and the economy.

Made Blitzer look like a complete jackass.

In fact, with the Anthony Weiner thing, they played a joke for a week that because Stewart and Weiner are former college roommates, that Stewart didn't want to cut him up like he does everyone else. He played it like he was being forced to cover it, and how much of a letdown it was.. kind of like "I prop you up, and this is what you do" kind of thing.. It was pretty funny, and made fun of his own "bias" in the process. They even did a bit with Stewart faking a resignation speech because he wasn't able to be as funny about the Weiner story.

~Bang

Stupid question for you, Bang (or others)

I was reading the WAPO the other day (I was quite a few days behind) and they kind of blasted him for not covering the story because they were college friends. Is that accurate. or did the paper just miss the humor initially?

Look forward to seeing this interview. Have not seen JS in a while, but he is always good for a laugh or two (or ten)

Stupid question for you, Bang (or others)

I was reading the WAPO the other day (I was quite a few days behind) and they kind of blasted him for not covering the story because they were college friends. Is that accurate. or did the paper just miss the humor initially?

Look forward to seeing this interview. Have not seen JS in a while, but he is always good for a laugh or two (or ten)

Part of the problem was on the day Weiner came clean, his press conference was at 4:00. Stewart tapes at 5. So they really had to decide whether to scrap the show they had already written and try to rewrite the whole thing in an hour. They didn't. Instead, they plugged in a short mention of it and went ahead with the regular show, which didn't look good when it aired at 11 that night. The next day he played off on the criticism he got very deftly with a fake confessional news conference. And since then, he's been all over the Weiner thing, all the while acknowledging that Weiner as been a friend.

Stewart inhabits a great position really, that of court jester. He can inject his own politics and play the comedian all the while. When heat comes down (from Fox or from whereever) he can just say "hey, i'm just a comic" and sidestep the backlash (to a large degree). Really, it's a great position for him to be in. I'm a conservative and don't subscribe to his personal views but i'm the first to admit his show (like Colbert's) is at times brilliant and it's almost always entertaining.

I dont think he ever lies. I just think he has an overwhelming tendancy to goof and expose people or organizations that he opposes more than he does to those he supports. And by that act, or lack thereof, he paints a picture that one side or organization is worse than the other.

That's entirely possible. It's even probable. It still doesn't take away from the fact that the stuff he exposes is accurate and ought to be addressed. If my daughter is getting out of control is it better for me to try to get a handle on her or to complain that you're picking on my daughter for stealing cars and doing drugs when there are other kids out there doing the same or worse? I always laugh when a bank teller apologizes for asking me for an ID. I want them verifying that I am who I say I am. I'm not the least offended. If I'm wrong tell me and I'll try to correct it. Telling me others are bad too or others don't get the same degree of scrutiny is just making excuses. Bad behavior should be addressed.

That's entirely possible. It's even probable. It still doesn't take away from the fact that the stuff he exposes is accurate and ought to be addressed. If my daughter is getting out of control is it better for me to try to get a handle on her or to complain that you're picking on my daughter for stealing cars and doing drugs when there are other kids out there doing the same or worse? I always laugh when a bank teller apologizes for asking me for an ID. I want them verifying that I am who I say I am. I'm not the least offended. If I'm wrong tell me and I'll try to correct it. Telling me others are bad too or others don't get the same degree of scrutiny is just making excuses. Bad behavior should be addressed.

Absolutely.

Stewart never says he's anything BUT a liberal.

The number of things you don't know is astounding. But please continue, because it is pretty funny when you pretend you do and post things like this.

Credibility... he's a damn comedian, and the fact that he gets more truth out in 5 minutesthan Fox does all day just pisses you guys off SO much that you try to elevate him to a level in which you can attempt to knock him over.

It doesn't work. The guy is right about the media, no matter which side of the aisle he's on.

~Bang

LOL. I could care less about Fox. Your incessant rant about them borders on a severe derangement syndrome. I don't watch either to any great degree so in the final analysis it matter not one iota of anything to me. But I just love libs like you and Libeowitz proclaim their "objectivity" or no dog in the race when they've bet the farm on an outcome. He's entirely wrong about the NY times you know the media. The honest libs see him for what he is and others just explain it away. Nice explanation.

Archived