Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox News Sunday - Chris Wallace interviews Jon Stewart

BRAVEONAWARPATH

It was great and Stewart enunciates pretty well what I also feel about bias in the media and the difference between the way the conservative news media is biased and the mainstream (I actualy reject that term simply because how can the highest rated cable news channel and the most listen to radio programs not be mainstream) news media is biased.

I also really liked his distinction between Will Rogers and Mark Twain and Murrow.

Guest Spearfeather
(I actualy reject that term simply because how can the highest rated cable news channel and the most listen to radio programs not be mainstream)

Because, the highest - rated cable news channel is different than all the others, that's why.

Guest Spearfeather
So? The NFL is different than American Idol. Both are part of the mainstream culture.

The NFL and College football would be mainstream. The XFL and womens lingerie league, would not be.

The NFL and College football would be mainstream. The XFL and womens lingerie league, would not be.

The XFL and women's lingerie league don't get the ratings and popular exposure. Maybe twenty years ago or thirty years ago, FOX and talk radio was out of the mainstream, but now it is in the conversation, a part of the thought process. Seriously, do you think that FOX and Rush, Beck, Hannity, etc. have the influence of the Lingerie football league?

FOX is dangerous because it is mainstream and it is an activist propaganda network as is most of conservative talk radio.

Now, mainstream can wear many different faces... jazz, classical, hip hop, country, rock are all mainstream and yet are quite different, but each have an impact on the overall society and each of us have been impacted with and have experience with them. To pretend that FOX is the outsider and this maverick lone ranger outside of the mainstream ain't true. Look at their viewership, their sponsorship, their income.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 06:01 PM ----------

Regardless, if you haven't listened to it I thought it was a good interview with both participants being mostly respectful. I did like how Chris tried to go after Stewart for being on Comedy Central while doing the clip thing and Stewart's subsequent reaction.

Guest Spearfeather
FOX is dangerous because it is mainstream and it is an activist propaganda network as is most of conservative talk radio.

Now, mainstream can wear many different faces... jazz, classical, hip hop, country, rock are all mainstream and yet are quite different, but each have an impact on the overall society and each of us have been impacted with and have experience with them. To pretend that FOX is the outsider and this maverick lone ranger outside of the mainstream ain't true. Look at their viewership, their sponsorship, their income.

Their viewpoint or angle is different from the others, so essentially they are going against the grain. I don't know what you mean by " outsider " and " maverick ". Does FOX call themselves the " Outsider network "?

Activist propaganda? That's a good one, in light of the " Lean Forward " network.

We may just have different operational definitions of "mainstream" I view mainstream being wider than I think you do because the mainstream incorporates and synthesizes all sorts of popular ideologies and viewpoints. An idea becomes mainstream or an outlet becomes mainstream when enough people subscrib to it and support it. Lots of things that were at first radical or counter culture become adopted into the greater cultural zeitgeist.

If you wanted to say that Drudge or Democratic Underground or guys like that were fringe and not mainstream I'd be with you, but FOX is just too widely embraced and has too much power for it to not be part of the mainstream even if it wants to be counterculture. Now personally, I would think that someone who is conservative would be glad to have a conservative champion/voice in the mainstream. Still, I don't really want to take away from the discussion of which this is but a tiny part that Chris and Jon had.

So, I'm content to disagree to disagree.

Edit: and your last comment tells me that you didn't watch the interview :D because I was quoting Jon Stewart or at least using his terminology.

Guest Spearfeather
Edit: and your last comment tells me that you didn't watch the interview :D because I was quoting Jon Stewart or at least using his terminology.

You're right, I haven't, but I am going to, very shortly.

Hank Williams would be mainstream country....Hank Williams III?,....not so much.

Yeah, but try as they might the Rolling Stones are mainstream today. They are not cutting edge alternatives to pop. The Beatles too are no longer counter culture that parents are scared will corrupt and destroy their children's minds. Even Elvis Presley's dancing is no longer shocking and confusing to the mainstream. Having a black basketball player is no longer considered outrageous. Even having blacks play professional sports with whites doesn't cause any in the mainstream to sweat. All these things that were once confusing or abrasive to the mainstream culture are now the mainstream culture.

Guest Spearfeather
Yes, Foxnews certainly is considered MSM.

In the "really big picture ", yes, but their " take " on different news topics, is not like the others at all.

Compared to the other major cable/network news channels, not really.

Jon Stewart is brilliant. He holds such power with many young minds in this country due to the medium in which he exists. People love comedy, and I agree with him that the agenda that he pushes is not necessarily liberal or conservative, but anti-corruption. The problem with mainstream media pushing that agenda is its not interesting, it doesn't get viewers, it doesn't make money. When you add a satirical twist to the content but still maintain the integrity of the "truth", you do more for this country and provide actual, "pure" news that no other news organization in this country can say they broadcast. Stewart and the daily show do well to provide a clean, fresh, non-partisan view-point, the honest peoples viewpoint and still entertain. Mr. Stewart has struck gold.

Jon Stewart is brilliant. He holds such power with many young minds in this country due to the medium in which he exists. People love comedy, and I agree with him that the agenda that he pushes is not necessarily liberal or conservative, but anti-corruption. The problem with mainstream media pushing that agenda is its not interesting, it doesn't get viewers, it doesn't make money. When you add a satirical twist to the content but still maintain the integrity of the "truth", you do more for this country and provide actual, "pure" news that no other news organization in this country can say they broadcast. Stewart and the daily show do well to provide a clean, fresh, non-partisan view-point, the honest peoples viewpoint and still entertain. Mr. Stewart has struck gold.

I can't really see why Fox keeps doing these. They seem to be pulling out their big guns to try and marginalize John Stewart one way or another, but he always seems to come off as a well informed satirical critic of theirs.

Their problem is that any bias they accuse him of they beat him by a factor of 10 and almost all of his satyrical criticism of them and the media in general are certainly well deserved.

I don't think they get that he criticizes them the most because they feed him the most material.

I can't really see why Fox keeps doing these. They seem to be pulling out their big guns to try and marginalize John Stewart one way or another, but he always seems to come off as a well informed satirical critic of theirs.

Their problem is that any bias they accuse him of they beat him by a factor of 10 and almost all of his satyrical criticism of them and the media in general are certainly well deserved.

I don't think they get that he criticizes them the most because they feed him the most material.

The thing is, if you're a fan of Hannity and Beck and you watch that video, you're probably going to say Stewart came off as a bias liberal elitist. Not because it's true, but because if you accept the views of the two previous mentioned "opinion givers" at Fox, then you have a very skewed perception of the world in which you live.

I don't see how anyone can think of FOX as a news organization anymore. It is a propaganda network. Not even for the GOP per say, but for a certain point of view that is dying in this country

That’s the point, everyone already knows this.

If John Stewart made jokes about a serious news network and called them an unapologetic right wing propaganda network with only minor aesthetic differences from right wing talk radio then no one would take the jokes seriously and he would be ignored.

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 11:18 PM ----------

The thing is, if you're a fan of Hannity and Beck and you watch that video, you're probably going to say Stewart came off as a bias liberal elitist. Not because it's true, but because if you accept the views of the two previous mentioned "opinion givers" at Fox, then you have a very skewed perception of the world in which you live.

Notice how a lot of the interview was trying to either lift Stewart up into the ranks of biased commentator or knock him down into the dregs of comedian.

That’s the beauty of Stewart he tells jokes for a living, and if you want to simultaneously call him a baboon and an elitist (which is probably true) neither stick so well.

There is a reason comedy has endured as a saterical media for centuries.

I don't see how anyone can think of FOX as a news organization anymore. It is a propaganda network. Not even for the GOP per say, but for a certain point of view that is dying in this country

I saw the term pseudo-conservatism used recently in a couple of articles I read last week. (I was actually gonna PM them to you. From Fareed Zakaria and then Sullivan's response to it. I thought they were both excellent. You've prob already seen them though.)

This is true. The telling part of the interview is that even when they pull up clips from Stewart's show they can't seem to find a "gotcha" moment which if you think about it is incredible. It is a comedy show. It should be rife with exaggeration or ridiculousness with which Wallace or FOX could make it's point and say, "Aha! What you are doing is not satire or criticism. It's a cartoon not based in reality." but they seemingly can't do it. They can't find a moment like that after reviewing all his shows. And when Stewart gives them the huge opening by saying, I will defend anything that we've put together on his show and they can't take advantage of that softball and say, Look at this! Didn't you go too far here? Isn't that way over the top and insane?

Well, that says something pretty loudly... if you're listening.

I can find 5 good things to say about:

President Obama

Secretary Clinton

-------------------------

If you have not one good thing to say of 7+ republican nominees: A partisan hack you are.

Funny as hell, but still extremely partisan.

Guest Spearfeather

Or does he look in their direction more than the others?

I just finished wacthing it, and it was really good.

Some things that stood out for me were:

Stewart agrees that there is a " liberal bias " with the other news networks.

Diane Sawyers clip is an example of what Conservatives see as liberal bias with the other networks.

Now, watch Barack Obama repeat this lie....I'm sorry, omission

I completely agree with Stewart on the " 24/7 " observation. If there's not much happening ..... well, they have time to fill, and that's probably not a good thing, because then stories get presented as news, when they're really not and also, some of those that are news, get blown out of proportion, by both sides.

Chris Wallace gives a good and fair interview, and I don't believe he takes " marching orders " from anyone.

No, he said there is no "liberal" bias per se, but that there is a bias towards sensationalism and laziness. He also said that there were more liberal reporters. I agree with him on both counts.

Chris Mathews ain't bad. He does follow the company line a bit, but he can give a good, tough interview. I actually do watch his show fairly often and like it much better than Chris Mathews Sunday Morning show. I will say that I find his panel gets a little ridiculous at times (poor Juan Williams)

People love comedy, and I agree with him that the agenda that he pushes is not necessarily liberal or conservative, but anti-corruption. The problem with mainstream media pushing that agenda is its not interesting, it doesn't get viewers, it doesn't make money.

Uh, if I'm not mistaken, 60 Minutes was the #1 rated show on TV for something like a decade, because it presented in-depth stories focusing on corruption.

What's changed is that now days, if 60 Minutes were to do a segment where they reveal, say, that Cam Newton was paid $200,000 under the table, a big chunk of viewers wouldn't watch, because sometimes 60 Minutes catches Republicans doing things, and the people who did watch, a lot of them would attack the show because "How come you're picking on Auburn? I bet that (whichever team I hate) does worse all the time!"

---------- Post added June-20th-2011 at 08:41 PM ----------

I once saw him interviewed by O'Reily. Bill was trying to marginalize him with "You aren't a real news show (like me)." And Jon kept coming ack with "My audience is better informed than your audience."

Archived