Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1x0 =

Chiefinonhaze

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Order of operations, multiplication first. The rest adds up to 14, though the minus sign is easy to miss, so if you assume it's all addition, it's 16.

14 is the correct answer.

Stupid associative rule. :twitch: Good thing for me that math has no applications to real life. :)

Stupid associative rule. :twitch: Good thing for me that math has no applications to real life. :)

No applications to real life? Good thing for everyone that you aren't in my line of work... nor any among several others. ;)

The poll results make me sad. The correct answer is 14. I can see missing the minus sign and getting 16 instead of 14, but 0? Really?

The poll results make me sad. The correct answer is 14. I can see missing the minus sign and getting 16 instead of 14, but 0? Really?

The great thing about a poll being private is that people who know the right answer and give the wrong one to mess with people. Not that everybody is getting it wrong on purpose, but you see this all the time with other polls around here. Just imagine if there had been an "I like cake" or "Bunny with pancake on head" option? That would've been the runaway winner.

The great thing about a poll being private is that people who know the right answer and give the wrong one to mess with people. Not that everybody is getting it wrong on purpose, but you see this all the time with other polls around here. Just imagine if there had been an "I like cake" or "Bunny with pancake on head" option? That would've been the runaway winner.

That's a very good point, and one I didn't consider. I just assumed it was a public poll, designed to see who can or can't do math!

I sure hope your reasoning explains why 0 appears to be the easy winner in the poll -- by a double-digit percentage, no less -- as of this post. If people are largely answering "0" honestly, then that just stinks.

sure hope your reasoning explains why 0 appears to be the easy winner in the poll -- by a double-digit percentage, no less -- as of this post. If people are largely answering "0" honestly, then that just stinks.

It's the only explanation I can come up with that doesn't have me weeping for the future. Rather assume people are smartasses than dumbasses.

I remember taking a first year Civil Engineering tutorial where they were doing absolute basic arithmetic style questions.

A hand shot up saying the answer on the sheet was wrong. I went through it with the student and arrived at the answer of 18/17ths just as on the paper. 'No! no!' says the student and punches it out on his calculator to point out that the 'correct' answers was 1 1/17th as shown on the screen. Apparently a completely different number. I didnt know what to say. This was a Civil Engineering class. I hope I dont drive across any bridge that lad built!

Archived