Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch This NYC Bicyclist Crash Over and Over Again...

Dan T.

...to prove a point. First he films himself pleading with a New York City cop not to ticket him for riding outside the designated bike lane, without success. To prove his point that riding in the bike lane in NYC is in fact often more dangerous than not, he filmed this little gem.

bzE-IMaegzQ

LOL nice video he made his point and that looks dangerous is hell, but dude get out the damn street. If something is in the bike lane then slow down wait until its clear and dodge whatever is infront of him. Whats more important holding up 1 biker or this ******* biker holding up traffic.

I had one guy ride his bike in the middle of a lane on Jefferson Davis Hwy speed limit I think is 40 and his silly ass riding in the middle of a lane holding up traffic. Really? The funny thing was he stopped at every light and even SIGNALED waved his hand before he made a right at a light. If you have a super clear sidewalk use it.

Driving in to the office today, at constitution and 14th I see a lady cyclist pinned under a Nissan Pathfinder, mangled with her bike while the car was propped up.

I could have sworn she was a gonner but apparently DCs finest were able to get her out with only serious but non life threatening injures.

LOL nice video he made his point and that looks dangerous is hell, but dude get out the damn street. If something is in the bike lane then slow down wait until its clear and dodge whatever is infront of him. Whats more important holding up 1 biker or this ******* biker holding up traffic.

I had one guy ride his bike in the middle of a lane on Jefferson Davis Hwy speed limit I think is 40 and his silly ass riding in the middle of a lane holding up traffic. Really? The funny thing was he stopped at every light and even SIGNALED waved his hand before he made a right at a light. If you have a super clear sidewalk use it.

Many places (and it is the case here in Chicago as well) you can get a big ticket if you are over like 12 years old riding on the sidewalk.

Many places (and it is the case here in Chicago as well) you can get a big ticket if you are over like 12 years old riding on the sidewalk.

Same here, they will ticket you quick for riding on the sidewalk. Getting a ticket for not riding in the bike lane is also a bull**** ticket. People that don't live in NYC, don't get what the frustrations of being a biker here is like and trying to compare it to another place like sicksoulja just doesn't work.

I thought some of the crashes were funny, but to the overall point of the video, well, I don't really empathize with the guy. You don't own the road, stay in your stupid bike lane and shut up. When you start swerving around traffic on the roadway, life gets dangerous for both of the cyclist and the motor vehicle operators.

I thought some of the crashes were funny, but to the overall point of the video, well, I don't really empathize with the guy. You don't own the road, stay in your stupid bike lane and shut up.

Looks like he just wanted to own his bike lane but everyone else is taking it.

I know in DC the bikers are MILITANT about their dominion over the bike lane. Several times ive seen bikers physically confront drivers (usually cabbies) who impede on their little strip.

There are few groups in DC more annoying than bicyclists. They want to be treated as both pedestrians and motorists, wanting the benefits of each but not following the rules of either.

There are few groups in DC more annoying than bicyclists. They want to be treated as both pedestrians and motorists, wanting the benefits of each but not following the rules of either.

That's sorta the point of biking imo. But I agree some bikers take things too far but at the same time if you're out there riding a bike and some guy in a car who thinks he is king of the road hits you, it's not going to be a little fender bender. in NYC more people are killed by cars than guns. You might get mad that a guy is going a little slow in front of you on a bike, but seriously, is it really that big of a deal? You're in a car once you get in front of him you can just go faster by pushing your foot down on a pedal. He has to work hard at getting down the road.

You don't own the road, stay in your stupid bike lane and shut up. When you start swerving around traffic on the roadway, life gets dangerous for both of the cyclist and the motor vehicle operators.

Wasn't that the biker's point - that he had no choice to (at least) swerve (if not ride outside of the lane completely), due to the obstacles.

Wasn't that the biker's point - that he had no choice to (at least) swerve (if not ride outside of the lane completely), due to the obstacles.

He didn't get a ticket for swerving out of the lane to avoid an obstacle. He got a ticket for riding outside the bike lane for an extended period of time, enough time to be noticed by a cop.

A bicyclist can ride in the bike lane and avoid obstacles as they come up. Granted, police should do what they can to ensure the bike lane is clear, but that does not authorize bicyclists to take up the road motor vehicles are on.

Here is the law on the books fyi for anyone curious. "34 RCNY § 4-12(p) Bicycles. (1) Bicycle riders to use bicycle lanes. Whenever a usable path or lane for bicycles has been provided, bicycle riders shall use such path or lane only except under any of the following situations: (i) When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway. (ii) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, motor vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, pushcarts, animals, surface hazards) that make it unsafe to continue within such bicycle path or lane."

Now I've been living in NYC for 6 or 7 years now and I bike a lot. I didn't even know about this law until recently. A lot of these bike lane have just popped up within the last year or two and if you ride mainly outside of Manhattan like I do (I mostly ride in Brooklyn or Queens), these bike lanes aren't all over like they are in Manhattan. I will also note for people that have never biked in NYC, when you ride in the bike lanes, especially in Manhattan, there is someone or something blocking the lane A LOT, hence why this guy made the video in the first place, which most people aren't getting the point of. Tons of people including cop and delivery people use it as a parking place.

That's sorta the point of biking imo. But I agree some bikers take things too far but at the same time if you're out there riding a bike and some guy in a car who thinks he is king of the road hits you, it's not going to be a little fender bender. in NYC more people are killed by cars than guns. You might get mad that a guy is going a little slow in front of you on a bike, but seriously, is it really that big of a deal? You're in a car once you get in front of him you can just go faster by pushing your foot down on a pedal. He has to work hard at getting down the road.

Maybe biking is some sort of combination of pedestrian and motorist, but that doesn't excuse a bicyclist from following the rules. I don't get mad when I get behind a bike because I can easily pass and be on my way. What is annoying is the not yielding/running of red lights/riding 2-3 deep and interfering with traffic lanes/etc.

Incorrect. A bike is subject to the exact same laws as any other vehicle. You are supposed to stop at lights and signs. You are supposed to signal your intentions. However, bikers in the DC are think they can do whatever the **** they want to. Red lights just mean slow down and ***** at traffic for impeding your progress. Stopped traffic means you weave in and out of cars, using your hands to guide you amongst the metal carnage. God forbid you try to turn right on red with a biker approaching from behind. They will get off their bike, punch your car and start cursing at you. Militant *******s for the most part. Don't get me started on the groups of bikers in Loudoun who think they are part of the peloton, taking an entire lane up while their gaggle of 50 riders patrol the countryside.

Archived