Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch This NYC Bicyclist Crash Over and Over Again...

Dan T.

I used to bike in DC, but not as much as I've biked in NYC. I think biking atmosphere is much different between the two cities. I used to bike to work when I lived in Manhattan about 20 blocks or so. The best part about going to work on a bike is the fact that I can go in between the cars when they are stuck in traffic and I can roll through the red lights when it is safe. I know the rules are supposed to be the same for a biker, but come on, it's a person on a bike not a one ton car that can easily kill.

If I ride my bike exactly like a car, for one, I won't be able to keep up with traffic's speed and it wouldn't be as advantageous to bike in the first place. The effort to stop and go and stop in go slowly in traffic on a bike would take up too much effort, especially when I can dip in between and keep on going. I think there needs to be some kind of happy medium, but drivers need to realize, to us bikers your driving a weapon, we are scared of you and for the most part you guys drive like crazy people.

I'll make one last point on this. With regards to the video, in NYC the cops are doing a bike rider crackdown and handing out tickets for stuff that sometimes isn't even a real law. A lot of people feel this is unreasonable, the cops should be going after drivers who are actually killing more people than guns are. Instead we are being harassed because we want to be healthier and not pollute and waste gas.

EDIT: ^^^You admit to making up your own rules?? LOL When you get hit I'll lol...

When bikers start following basic rules of the road then I'll cry a river, until then, pfft.

Really? and you live in NY too. Your a prick to say something like that. When I ride my bike and there is a red light, I cross slowly as if I am a pedestrian. I'm not in a big car, I've never had a problem with it, hell I even do it in front of cops. I won't fly through lights with no regard like a lot of bike messengers do, but that's their job to be fast as possible so they do what they feel they have to do, but I'd never ride like that. When it comes down to it a bike is not a car and I honestly don't believe that they should have to follow every rule a car does, it's not one. If a car runs a light the chances of them hitting someone is big and the chance of some one getting hurt badly or dying is high. However, if I approach a red light, slow down, look both ways but then cross the light, even if something or someone jumps out, I'm on a bike it won't be hard to not hit them and if I do it's not going to be that bad. When I was living in Tokyo everyone rides on the sidewalk, which I hate, but they run into each other all the time lol, but it's not a big deal and no one freaks out because it's an accident. I honestly don't understand the hate towards a biker, especially up to the point of practically wishing someone will hit me so you can laugh. What a dick.

---------- Post added June-16th-2011 at 01:01 AM ----------

You know, as a NYer, that's the same thing as saying I'm going to laugh if you get hit by a car for jaywalking.

Two wheels in any fashion is just frustrating. I have a motorcycle license and have ridden bicycles and big bikes in Richmond and Northern Virginia extensively. It's one thing if a cyclist is asking for it, let's say maybe a sport bike splitting lanes to get to the front, or some road bike elitists looking to prove a point. Too often though, have I seen cases where distracted drivers, people who can't just wait for a second for the left lane to open up, women driving their kids to school, dad's driving around aggro as hell because they own the high displacement awd luxury 4 door, idiot high schoolers in all sorts of sardine formations in their whips, etc etc. are the people who make the dumb entitled maneuvers that so many other people get accustomed to.

Just tonight riding around I got heckled at in the Fan (Richmond) biking to a nearby bar. I have lights on the front and back of my bike and stop at stop signs when cars are present, and still get crap for simply existing at that moment where I am. I'm sick of it.

Really? and you live in NY too. Your a prick to say something like that. When I ride my bike and there is a red light, I cross slowly as if I am a pedestrian. I'm not in a big car, I've never had a problem with it, hell I even do it in front of cops. I won't fly through lights with no regard like a lot of bike messengers do, but that's their job to be fast as possible so they do what they feel they have to do, but I'd never ride like that. When it comes down to it a bike is not a car and I honestly don't believe that they should have to follow every rule a car does, it's not one. If a car runs a light the chances of them hitting someone is big and the chance of some one getting hurt badly or dying is high. However, if I approach a red light, slow down, look both ways but then cross the light, even if something or someone jumps out, I'm on a bike it won't be hard to not hit them and if I do it's not going to be that bad. When I was living in Tokyo everyone rides on the sidewalk, which I hate, but they run into each other all the time lol, but it's not a big deal and no one freaks out because it's an accident. I honestly don't understand the hate towards a biker, especially up to the point of practically wishing someone will hit me so you can laugh. What a dick.

You knowingly and proudly break the law, whine about how you feel the laws are unfair yet I'm the prick? LOL Let's see who's laughing when you hurt someone because you didn't feel like you should have to follow traffic control devices and the law. :D

You know, as a NYer, that's the same thing as saying I'm going to laugh if you get hit by a car for jaywalking.

I don't "jaywalk", I use crosswalks. :cool:

All kidding aside, I don't wish anyone to get hurt but I will never shed a tear for stupid people doing stupid things. ;)

Also, just because I'm from NY doesn't mean that I live in NYC. Personally, I find the city disgusting and I have no idea how people can live like that... :ols:

I can see both sides to this. First off I totally back the DC bikers who protect their lanes as they do. Even though I think a lot of that video was just stupid, how hard is it to swerve around some of the obstacles he purposely crashed into, the fact is there are a lot of obstacles in those lanes.

But I also back the cop. Those lanes are there for a reason and regardless of how many obstacles are in the bike lanes bikes dodging between cars in downtown is really dangerous.

You knowingly and proudly break the law, whine about how you feel the laws are unfair yet I'm the prick? LOL Let's see who's laughing when you hurt someone because you didn't feel like you should have to follow traffic control devices and the law. :D

I don't "jaywalk", I use crosswalks. :cool:

All kidding aside, I don't wish anyone to get hurt but I will never shed a tear for stupid people doing stupid things. ;)

Also, just because I'm from NY doesn't mean that I live in NYC. Personally, I find the city disgusting and I have no idea how people can live like that... :ols:

have you ever actually stopped at a red light, then gone on green on a bicycle in any city? if you're in the front of the line, expect a ridiculous push from all the people behind you who are too impatient to deal. that's why cyclists try to clear intersections, to stay the hell away from everyone. people get pissed and frequently assume i'm trying to show them up, when really i'm just trying to create some space and a cushion of speed moving down the next block.

a law will soon be in effect in virginia giving motorcyclists the right to move through a red light at certain times if they are having trouble tripping the sensor.

the fact is, things are different for everyone in every different type of vehicle. not enough drivers are sensitive to this idea. biking on the sidewalk in most places is awful unless you are on a mountain bike. it's like asking someone to drive down the shoulder of 95 all the time.

I can see both sides to this. First off I totally back the DC bikers who protect their lanes as they do. Even though I think a lot of that video was just stupid, how hard is it to swerve around some of the obstacles he purposely crashed into, the fact is there are a lot of obstacles in those lanes.

But I also back the cop. Those lanes are there for a reason and regardless of how many obstacles are in the bike lanes bikes dodging between cars in downtown is really dangerous.

so he's screwed if he does, screwed if he doesn't. trying to squeeze an obstacle between the bike lane and the right traffic lane is suicidal, because nobody ever sees you or gives an eff if you dare step outside your bike lane. that's the point.

this stuff gets me so heated. :mad::mad::mad:

Archived