Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread

renaissance

That is bull****. So was having the game in southern Cali. If it's a home game it should have been somewhere that had a more friendly home crowd. Qwest field in Seattle would have been nice.

---------- Post added June-26th-2011 at 05:51 AM ----------

"Soft soccer mom influence"? Same mama's boys that drove to the quarter finals in 98? Same gutless chokers in South Africa? Unless something radically changed about how kids are driven to practice a decade ago then it's not a valid argument.

This isn't the first time they've been punked by Mexico. Watch the game again if you want and watch the Mexican defenders attacking the ball... then see US defenders back peddling and giving Mexican strikers and midfielders space to create. Then you see Adu get kicked in the face and get stood over. No reaction from team mates. You see guys get shoved and the balls knocked out of their hands after a goal. No reaction.

Maybe they were looking forward to the orange slices post game. If they want to succeed in the insanely challenging world of international soccer they need to play with a little more edge and a lot less fear.

Bottom line: the Mexican players were significantly better technical players than the Americans. They could pass and dribble like top class professionals -- who would've thought that Freddy Adu would be the only player to match them on the day (not particularly a fan of Bob Bradley, but that move was a masterclass).

The sheer difference in passing ability -- short and long -- creativity, movement, was the difference on the day. Mexico could've won by 4 or 5. The best hope we have of ever competing with the best is if our most promising 16 and 17 year olds move abroad and play for professional teams. The American development system is simply not working, and MLS will never be a breeding ground for the best.

Improvement? Thank good I was at the DC United game(funny enough they gave up a goal in the last minute to give away 2-1 win and instead got a draw. This is a disgrace. I realize soccer/football is not the main sport in the US but damn we deserve much better than 2-0 leads turning into 4-2 defeats.

Despite the result did you have at the game? I can't wait for next weekend since it'll be the first time I've seen them play since I moved.

Bottom line: the Mexican players were significantly better technical players than the Americans. They could pass and dribble like top class professionals -- who would've thought that Freddy Adu would be the only player to match them on the day (not particularly a fan of Bob Bradley, but that move was a masterclass).

The sheer difference in passing ability -- short and long -- creativity, movement, was the difference on the day. Mexico could've won by 4 or 5. The best hope we have of ever competing with the best is if our most promising 16 and 17 year olds move abroad and play for professional teams. The American development system is simply not working, and MLS will never be a breeding ground for the best.

Bingo.

It starts at the bottom. The best talent does not get bred and does not get to our National Team. And MLS is a second-rate league at best. Then you got Chicarito over there good enough to play on Man. Utd.

ok so to all you soccer pros. now, i know if you handball intentionally you get a red card. but why not on that 4th goal? whats the worst that can happen. youre gonna lose the match for sure if he makes it.

Well for one, we're taught unless we have goalkeeper gloves on not to touch the ball with our hands in the field of play. Secondly, if you are to use your hand to stop the ball, then like you stated the player is given a red card and Mexico would have been given a penalty kick, which more often then not is going to be made.

I understand where you're coming from, and Suarez did that last year in the WC and it worked out for Uruguay; however, most of the time that's not the case. Also, Dos Santos just made an incredible play, and chipped that ball perfectly into the upper 90 of the net.

Only in the USA could a coach lose 5-0 then 4-2 in their biggest federation tournament and still have a .

A big fat middle finger to you Bob.

You have Spector and Onyewu on the bench, you have an early lead, and you bring in Bornstein????????????????

If Gulati doesnt make the move, he should be ****canned as well.

Only in the USA could a coach lose 5-0 then 4-2 in their biggest federation tournament and still have a .

You have Spector and Onyewu on the bench, you have an early lead, and you bring in Bornstein????????????????

One thing that, for now, gives me hope about this is how Gulati responded to questions about bradley. This time he just gave the 'no comment' rather than his usual support for Bob... maybe this is the time.

It truly is amazing how bornstein has still gotten minutes. (among many many many other things). I cant think of a more incompetent coach in the history of sports. Jim Zorn isnt even close to Bob's ability.

Bornstein is a joke. He looked like a bizzaro world Steel Curtain member.

I feel confident in saying that 3 of those goals were his fault. Guy is a joke. Bradley should be fired for not only having a guy like that actually on the squad, but then to go ahead and play him. Guys a loser.

I feel confident in saying that 3 of those goals were his fault. Guy is a joke. Bradley should be fired for not only having a guy like that actually on the squad, but then to go ahead and play him. Guys a loser.

I still think Clarence Goodson had a worse game defensively. He was out of position on the back line leaving strikers onside and would back peddle when the rest of the defenders were in good positions allowing passing lanes. That guy had me throwing things at the TV.

Watch the game again if you want and watch the Mexican defenders attacking the ball... then see US defenders back peddling and giving Mexican strikers and midfielders space to create.

This!! This!! THIS!! My U12 team plays more aggressively, and they're just rec-level!! I could NOT believe the US defenders - WTH?!?! You do NOT give talented soccer players space and time!! You PRESSURE them!! I've pulled kids for playing like that. That's just sad, sad coaching.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 08:13 AM ----------

Bingo.

It starts at the bottom. The best talent does not get bred and does not get to our National Team. And MLS is a second-rate league at best. Then you got Chicarito over there good enough to play on Man. Utd.

With all the Hispanics coming into the US and putting their kids into US soccer, I think the US could be really good in just a few years if those kids STAY here and PLAY here, instead of returning to play for South and Central American teams. Generally, in my kids' club, the Hispanic kids are just years ahead of the white/Asian/whatever kids, because that's the number 1 sport in their house and their community. They play soccer for fun, not throw a football or shoot hoops. Watching them at the 10-12 y.o. age level, their techical skills and knowledge of the game (setting up passes, movement when you don't have the ball, etc.) are just SO much ahead of most of the other kids from homes that don't take soccer all that seriously.

---------- Post added June-27th-2011 at 08:18 AM ----------

apprently 3/4 of the crowd was mexican.. seriously?

Have you never been to SoCal?

Despite the result did you have at the game? I can't wait for next weekend since it'll be the first time I've seen them play since I moved.

Former Screaming Eagle :)

Hopefully you got seats behind them or Barra Brava. I love United games. Nothing better than visiting RFK as well as bouncing on the rolling bleachers while singing and chanting. My friend and I go up there as much as we can and bring friends who haven't seen the awesomeness of RFK and United. I don't have seats tics this year but my friend has some connections inside United so that helps. I will say this though. It was hard getting up on Sunday though.:ols::ols:

This isn't the first time they've been punked by Mexico. Watch the game again if you want and watch the Mexican defenders attacking the ball... then see US defenders back peddling and giving Mexican strikers and midfielders space to create.
Neither back 4 played particularly well, so you could see the difference between playing poorly and aggressive and playing poorly and being passive. It was if the American had never heard of the offside trap they were giving so much room. The Mexican defenders spent the game at the midfield stripe.

All in all the US got beat by a very good squad, but played pretty well themselves. Adu was a true bright spot, which was awesome to see. Bradley and Donovan were their usual selves leaving it all on the field. They really missed another scorer in the mix. Where was Edu? The US needs defenders, plain and simple. Throwing a guy like Omar Gonzales on the field could not hurt.

Former Barra member. :)

Nice. Once I get out of VCU depending on if I stay in Richmond or head to NOVA I'll be looking into going back to SE or joining Barra. Right now 30 bucks a game is rough. Might not sound bad but for a college student 30 bucks+plus gas is rough. If it weren't for my friend having some connections I would be one sad United fan. Its really weird adjusting from Kickers crowd atmosphere to United crowd atmosphere.:ols:

Neither back 4 played particularly well, so you could see the difference between playing poorly and aggressive and playing poorly and being passive.

That's the truth, and it was obvious that being passive was the poorer strategy there. Even if the other player is technically superior, I've always considered it smarter to be aggressive - you just don't give talented players time or space. Applying pressure helps in soccer just like it does in football. You don't want to give the other team time to set up in the goal box, look for passes, etc. I just could not believe how the US defenders would just back off the Mexican attackers right there in or close to the box! They'd just stand back, giving them 2-3 yards and waiting for them to make a move. It was SO frustrating. Overall, the Mexicans were just more aggressive out there, challenging the US all over the place. It led to several losses of possession by the US, due to sloppy passing, etc. Mexico really just seemed to want it more, esp. in the second half.

That's the truth, and it was obvious that being passive was the poorer strategy there. Even if the other player is technically superior, I've always considered it smarter to be aggressive - you just don't give talented players time or space. Applying pressure helps in soccer just like it does in football. You don't want to give the other team time to set up in the goal box, look for passes, etc. I just could not believe how the US defenders would just back off the Mexican attackers right there in or close to the box! They'd just stand back, giving them 2-3 yards and waiting for them to make a move. It was SO frustrating. Overall, the Mexicans were just more aggressive out there, challenging the US all over the place. It led to several losses of possession by the US, due to sloppy passing, etc. Mexico really just seemed to want it more, esp. in the second half.

We had a 1 goal lead when Bob chose to bring in Bornstein instead of Spector to play RB. Which could have left Lichaj at LB. OR OR OR, he could have3 brought in Gooch or Ream into the middle and moved Boca out to the LB and pushed Lichaj out RB. In EITHER case, or even if Bornstein was there, the very SECOND Donovan scored to make it 2-0, Jones and Bedoya should have started playing way way withdrawn to help the wings.

But of course, our coach is too ****ing stupid to understand something like that. Instead we're left to watch Bornstein get outrun for 60 minutes.

I hated to see Donovan do that stupid chicken dance after the second goal. There was so much time left and you don't wanna do anything to fire up the Mexicans. Even if he didn't intend it, that jig could've been interpreted as him saying they were chickens.

I hated to see Donovan do that stupid chicken dance after the second goal. There was so much time left and you don't wanna do anything to fire up the Mexicans. Even if he didn't intend it, that jig could've been interpreted as him saying they were chickens.

I think the 'chicken dance' was more of a reference to the 5(?) Mexican players who got sent home from the tournament for failing a drug test. They claimed the 'dirty' results were the fault of having eaten contaminated chicken.

There are the highlights of the game.

Pause it at 1:10 and you'll see the US back line entirely out of alignment. J. Bornstein is up the highest and gets completely burned by Barrera. Goodson is keeping all mexican strikers on side at the bottom.

Pause it at 1:27 and you'll see 6 americans + the keeper and three mexicans. Not one attacks the player with possession or even pressure him I think that's Bornstein out on him. The pass then goes by 3 americans and is deflected to a dead stop by Lichaj. Good ol' 21 Goodson is flat footed and closest to the ball but stopped moving at all after the pass blew right by him. The only players that move towards the ball are the keeper and Bradley, who apparently hadn't received the memo from the defensive players that effort was banned from this game.

Pause at 1:48. Mexico does not score here but take a look at where Lichaj (number 14) is standing. Wow.

Pause at 1:58. Mexican player has possession just outside of the area. You'll note Bornstein is late at the bottom of the screen getting back and that Goodson is fronting the ball handler. Borstein will actually JOG TOWARDS THE PLAY while Goodson JUMPS BACKWARDS. Both of these remote control toss inducing bits of idiocy allow a relatively easy goal by Meixco.

Pause at 2:48. Some idiot off screen has already passed the ball to mexico instead of clearing the ball. Watch #13 run right past the ball handler

Archived