Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread

renaissance

It's no World Cup, but the Gold Cup winner earns a spot in the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil and CONCACAF bragging rights for at least one year. Mexico has the most championships with 5 (including 2009), while the USA has 4 and Canada 1.

I'll try to keep this updated w/ news and results :)

**TV coverage: All USA games are on Fox Soccer Channel. All other games are on Galavision, Univision, or Telefutura.**

Knockout Rounds

Quarterfinals

June 18, East Rutherford, NJ (New Meadowlands Stadium)

Costa Rica 1 (2) - 1 (4) Honduras

Mexico 2 - 1 Guatemala (8pm)

June 19, Washington, DC (RFK)

Jamaica 0 - 2 United States (3pm, Fox Soccer Channel)

Panama 1 (5) - 1 (3) El Salvador (6pm)

Semifinals

June 22, Houston, TX (Reliant Stadium)

Honduras - Mexico (10:00pm)

United States - Panama (7:00pm, Fox Soccer Channel)

Finals

June 25, Pasadena, CA (Rose Bowl)

I caught some highlights from the first round of group play. Are they showing it anywhere on television? What time are the games? Can I only get it on Galavision or Univision?

Sorry yea I will update the OP. All USA games are on Fox Soccer. All the other games are on Galavision

I want to crush Mexico. I still haven't forgotten how they jacked up our home country winning streak and whooped the hell out of us.

Not that it matters, but that US team was essentially a C side. And Mexico had a few of their A side guys. We had just come back from the Confed Cup, and nobody wanted to play the Gold Cup.

We barely beat Honduras in the pool play. Tied Haiti and then squeaked by Panama on an OT PK.

That side had Stuart Holden and Clarence Goodson. Other than that, none of the other players will sniff the big team.

They were a bad team. Nothing more.

Our guys looked good against Canada the other night. But that's not saying much.

Not that it matters, but that US team was essentially a C side. And Mexico had a few of their A side guys. We had just come back from the Confed Cup, and nobody wanted to play the Gold Cup.

We barely beat Honduras in the pool play. Tied Haiti and then squeaked by Panama on an OT PK.

That side had Stuart Holden and Clarence Goodson. Other than that, none of the other players will sniff the big team.

They were a bad team. Nothing more.

Our guys looked good against Canada the other night. But that's not saying much.

Yeah, Mexico had a lot of A players who were under 22. So they were essentially playing their A players, not because they wanted to play their best guys, but because the kids needed reps. Mexico had about 4-5 players under 22 who they hoped would make a big impact in South Africa, so they were throwing them into every international match possible for reps and experience. Looking back on it now, it's brutal to think they played 4-5 A players. At the time, the kids weren't yet known to be A players. It's like the skins playing Armstrong, Blades, Wilson, and all the rookies and they all pan out pretty well. At the time it's just a youth movement, but in retrospect it was a slaughter due to a talent gap against a US time that, like you said, had just finished frying bigger fish.

---------- Post added June-9th-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

Dammit, now I don't know if I want to watch the paint dry on my fence or watch some illegals chase a ball around.:rolleyes:

Your racist trolling is unnecessary in this thread. If you are uninterested in the sport, GTFO.

Ahh, the tainted meat excuse. Tour de France winner and now the Mexican National Team. Of course, Mexico got the cake group, again, ensuring they advance. Shocking.

Also I did not watch the Costa Rica - El Salvador game bc we don't get Telefutura. Why was there so much added time? (Costa Rica's tying goal came in the 95th minute.
Originally there were 4 min of injury time, and the ref added an additional minute during injury time. There appeared to be no reason for such an extended injury time - no major injuries or delays. El Salvador was not happy with the decision.

Archived