Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread

renaissance

The get the CONCACAF bid to the 2013 Confederations cup. It is held 1 year prior to the WC in Brazil. It's like a warm up event so the stadiums and systems for the host country get a test run.

It was this tournament in 2009 that the US beat Spain and lost 3-2 to Brazil in the final.

cool thanks for clearing it up

yes I am a terrible person:ols:;)

Or an honest one with the balls to say it depending on your view point. ;).

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 09:07 AM ----------

But he's sooo CREATIVE. Just like Freddy? ;)

LOL. Wise ass.

Never seen the hype in Adu to be honest. He may be a better option for you guys than what's currently out there, but he's never lived up to this over hyped reputation that preceded's him. He's been a total flop outside the US. And the less said about his, uhmmm, 'alleged' age the better.

Hail.

Or an honest one with the balls to say it depending on your view point. ;).

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 09:07 AM ----------

LOL. Wise ass.

Never seen the hype in Adu to be honest. He may be a better option for you guys than what's currently out there, but he's never lived up to this over hyped reputation that preceded's him. He's been a total flop outside the US. And the less said about his, uhmmm, 'alleged' age the better.

Hail.

Is someone claiming he's older than he is? Why? What benefit would it be to lie about that?

And while his career hasnt lived up to the hype, it's very shortsighted to claim it never will, or more importantly, make the claim that a disappointing pro career before the age of 20 has any relevance to how well a player will do for the National team into his late 20s.

THe US needs a player with imagination.

Who do you see that could be that player?

You misunderstand me Kilmer man.

I aren't questioning his ability over other US players. He's one of the few that has something different to give rather than the robots Bradley so loves. What I've never gotten as a European is all the excessive hype that's flowed around the World since he broke through in the MLS. Over in Europe, be it failed trials in England, to clubs he has landed with, he's looked distinctly average in better company. And I was more alluding to people claiming he's younger than he is. He was the biggest, oldest looking 16 year old when he broke through. Either he had a heck of a tough childhood and one HELL of a paper round, or .....

Amazing how papers can get lost and changed from African Nations .....

Hail.

Ahh. No sweat.

The problem is that Freddy Adu started to believe he was already there at age 16.

The people hyping him in soccer circles, were hying his POTENTIAL at age 16.

Listening to him now, watching him play, seeing him with his team in Turkey where he is the clear leader, it's not hard to see how much he has matured. That will impact his game positively.

I expect him to land in France or Holland this year. Working his way up the chain like any other 22 year old soccer player would have to do.

I still see a huge upside. I look at 2014 and think of a lineup like this

Davies

Dempsey

Donovan Bradley Jones Holden

and then have the ability to bring in Adu if we need offense or bring in Edu if we need defense and it's not hard to see that as a team that can hang with anyone.

I hope for the kids sake he is. I honestly haven't seen him in Turkey this year, so I'll bow to your better judgement on his maturation.

Just looking at your possibles for 2014, you certainly need youngsters like Adu coming through to be not only pushing for squad places, but starting places. Dempsey and Donovan for 2 will be 31 and 32 respectively when Brazil rolls around and what will realistically be their last major tournament. The future needs integrating now.

Which leads us back to the one constant in this equation stopping the US progressing, Bob Bradley and his gutless superiors .....

Hail.

The real problem with Adu, was his parents and MLS.

His career was hurt when his parents decided to take the quick paycheck from the MLS, so MLS could use him as a marketing tool as a 13-year old prodigy, even though he hardly played for DC United under Novak.

If his parents had made the correct decision, by allowing him to go overseas and play in one of the big clubs youth system and develop properly, he may be an even better player instead of going through the torture and hell that was the MLS for a few years, which only held him back.

Not such an easy decision. They were from Ghana, won a green card lottery. Then they'll just up and ship their son somewhere. Maybe it was more of a family decision than a soccer decision.

It was, MLS made Adu the highest paid player so they could market the **** out of him; however, it was not the best decision for his career. I understand why his parents made the decision, but I wish they hadn't taken the easy way out, but it's easy for me to say sitting here and not being in the situation they were at in Ghana.

I hope the U.S. doesn't go into one of their usual slumps and get destroyed by mexico. Anyone remember the 5-0 beat down in the gold cup?

The same beat down that occurred right after the confed cup where the US essentially had none of its regular starters? Yea, I remember that...

regardless, I don't see the U.S. winning on Saturday. Then again, we are known for our gritty performances against superior teams. Hopefully they will come out ready to play on Saturday and make it an interesting game.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 01:06 PM ----------

Is someone claiming he's older than he is? Why? What benefit would it be to lie about that?

Promotional benefits? How much bigger was it for the US to promote a 16 year old "star" coming into the league compared to a possible 22 year old "star"?

Not saying that he is older than he stated, but I would understand why they would lie about something like that.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 01:12 PM ----------

Davies

Dempsey

and then have the ability to bring in Adu if we need offense or bring in Edu if we need defense and it's not hard to see that as a team that can hang with anyone.

Add in timmy chandler and eric lichij in the mix and you have two more promising youngsters at the outside backs. Im hoping lichij is the answer for us at left back. Saturday will provide a big test for him. Hope he delivers again

Ahh. No sweat.

Davies

Dempsey

I like that lineup, although I wonder if Davies will ever regain form. Stick Aguedelo in there for me. Maybe the 16 YO striker, Arriola, will turn into something.

Our future at striker is much brighter than the current crop of options.

I expect Davies will be back in Europe next season. And we have lots of guys in Developmental Programs all over Europe.

Im more concerned abou our future Center Backs.

darrenrovell darren rovell

Pro-Mexico crowd at soccer game tonight might be as high as 90%, according to what @cammertens has been seeing outside pre-game

Bring it on.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 08:06 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/edsbs/statuses/84774271804653568

"FREDDY! RT @GrantWahl: USA lineup: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Lichaj; Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Adu, Bedoya; Dempsey."

Bring it on.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 08:06 PM ----------

http://twitter.com/edsbs/statuses/84774271804653568

"FREDDY! RT @GrantWahl: USA lineup: Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Lichaj; Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Adu, Bedoya; Dempsey."

cool i'm glad Bradley has the guts to start Adu in the final. I know it seems like a no-brainer to us, but to change things up in the final takes balls. Can't wait to see him and Donovan open up some scoring chances.

A lot of those American players know fluent spanish

Game time in about 13 min.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:08 PM ----------

Nice save by Howard.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:13 PM ----------

Americaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:14 PM ----------

Take that mexicans

1-0 america early

Spanish channel / FSC (Fox Soccer) / Univision.com Live Stream

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:29 PM ----------

Clown pounding in progress. 2-0.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:30 PM ----------

I knew Mexico was good but they've been completely shut down today so far. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

YES!!!!

2-0 over Mexico

This combination of Adu, Demsey and Donovan is amazing. Even with the poor defense the united states has, its amazing that they are up 2-0 on Mexico, probably a top 10 ten team in the whole world.

Great game.

YES!!!!

2-0 over Mexico

This combination of Adu, Demsey and Donovan is amazing. Even with the poor defense the united states has, its amazing that they are up 2-0 on Mexico, probably a top 10 ten team in the whole world.

Great game.

Isn't the US top ten? I thought I read that they were like 8 or 9

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 09:35 PM ----------

Mexico with a quick return strike

Archived