Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread

renaissance

The rare appearance from Adu was great

This gold cup has been great to watch, some great games have been played through the whole tournament.

Mexico vs USA for the finals.

chicharito is going to be hard to contain.

Its not surprising how much better the team looks with someone who can control the ball and provide creativity on the team. Ive been calling for this for a long long long time. We should have Altidore, Davies, and Adu on the field at the same time. It would provide the creativity, strength, and speed that is needed to compete at the national level. Edu should be in over Bradley, but we know that will not happen.

chicharito is going to be hard to contain.

It totally surprised me just what a success he was in his first year in England. The kids movement is outstanding. He NEVER stands still, always looking for that extra yard. A real lesson for all aspiring forwards in the art of creating space. And his finishing's not bad either. He's fantastic in the air.

Hail.

It totally surprised me just what a success he was in his first year in England. The kids movement is outstanding. He NEVER stands still, always looking for that extra yard. A real lesson for all aspiring forwards in the art of creating space. And his finishing's not bad either. He's fantastic in the air.

Hail.

yeah, the guy can play. Did you see that goal against guatemala??

He should have around 14 goals in this tournament, he has missed some easy goals.

I doubt USA has the defense to hold mexico in the finals, that offense is just amazing with Chicharito, Santos and Barrera.

I hope the U.S. doesn't go into one of their usual slumps and get destroyed by mexico. Anyone remember the 5-0 beat down in the gold cup?

What's the score of your match bros?

I have no intention to see Mexico's games versus Honduras. That ******ng mafia that rules the soccer down here.

I prefer to see the final of Copa Libertadores, Santos vs Peñarol (just starting)

Nice goal by Neymar!

Damn, I hate Neymar hahahahahahahaahhaa

He's very good, but for me is kinda like Desean Jackson, a clown ... he needs to stop simulating fouls everytime a defender gets near of him.

---------- Post added June-22nd-2011 at 09:43 PM ----------

Goal!!!!! Cmon Peña you have ten minutes!!!

Im shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that the US looked better with Donovan and Adu on the pitch instead of Sacha.

How that game ended, is how the every US game should end with the exception of Holden in over Bedoya (who has been amazing the last 2 games, but Holden is better).

Start Agudelo or Altidore up top with Dempsey poaching behind him, then bring on Adu in the 60th and push Dempsey up top.

The problem is that Bradley doesnt know this, he just dumb luck stumbled into it. No chance he does it on purpose ever again.

Adu was brilliant. More vision than any other player out there, and you could see on run after run how Donovan reacts to him. The both see the field the same way. Unlike a guy like Klestjan who is lucky just not to trip over the ball most of the time.

As for Mexico, they were a fingertip save in the final minute of regulation from watching the next game. They are the best Mexican team Ive seen in a decade though, I think they will give us fits. Howard will have to come up big.

And can we please put to bed the last Gold Cup. Im pretty sure they called my next door neighbor for that team. It was Mexico's B side versus our C- side. It didnt show or mean anything.

If this Mexican team puts a 5-0 beat down on this US team, then THAT will mean something.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 09:25 AM ----------

And just FWIW.

Freddy Adu just turned 22 this month.

No one has ever doubted Freddy has the skill, athleticism. What has become evident about him through his travels across Europe is that he doesn't read the game very well. Not to detract from Adu's above average 24 minutes, but lots of players have made a name against Panama. Eddie Johnson, anyone? Panama was withering late in the game which made Freddy look even more faster and skillful. Just temper the responses to Freddy. He wasn't the savior US soccer didn't need 6 years ago and he's not the savior now.

International soccer isn't like the NFL where 22 has a lot of upside. Has Landon changed much since he broke onto the scene in 98? To me, same game but a little smarter. Has Adu's game changed much since he was a teen? I used to watch him a lot at DC United live and I'd say not really. Same brilliance, but same mind numbing mistakes. I feel like there are guys on the USMNT who have the smarts to play at the highest level and just wish they had Freddy's control and speed.

what does the winner of this tournament get? is it an automatic bid to the next world cup?

The get the CONCACAF bid to the 2013 Confederations cup. It is held 1 year prior to the WC in Brazil. It's like a warm up event so the stadiums and systems for the host country get a test run.

It was this tournament in 2009 that the US beat Spain and lost 3-2 to Brazil in the final.

---------- Post added June-23rd-2011 at 09:45 AM ----------

No one has ever doubted Freddy has the skill, athleticism. What has become evident about him through his travels across Europe is that he doesn't read the game very well. Not to detract from Adu's above average 24 minutes, but lots of players have made a name against Panama. Eddie Johnson, anyone? Panama was withering late in the game which made Freddy look even more faster and skillful. Just temper the responses to Freddy. He wasn't the savior US soccer didn't need 6 years ago and he's not the savior now.

International soccer isn't like the NFL where 22 has a lot of upside. Has Landon changed much since he broke onto the scene in 98? To me, same game but a little smarter. Has Adu's game changed much since he was a teen? I used to watch him a lot at DC United live and I'd say not really. Same brilliance, but same mind numbing mistakes. I feel like there are guys on the USMNT who have the smarts to play at the highest level and just wish they had Freddy's control and speed.

You make the mistake of thinking I (or anyone) is comparing him to Xavi or Kaka. Im pointing out that when your choices are Sacha ****ing Klestjan or Freddy Adu, only a moron picks Klestjan over and over again.

He's 22 and much better all around player than he was 2 years ago. He's earned a role on the US team.

Archived