Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread

renaissance

What an odd sequence.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

How do you go from 2-0 to 2-4?

With a team full of wusses that back off when the other team hits them dirty and gets in their faces. When your defenders back peddle when they have numbers allowing outlet passing. When your defense watches the goalie flopping on the ground and don't attack the ball. When your defenders steal a ball and instead of clearing pass it to a Mexican player in scoring position. This team left their balls in the locker room and played like a bunch of sissies.

The only players that didn't look like a bunch of frightened children were Dempsey, Adu, Donovan, and Bradley. I'd put Howard on the list but he wasn't hard enough on his horrible back line when he should have been.

With a team full of wusses that back off when the other team hits them dirty and gets in their faces. When your defenders back peddle when they have numbers allowing outlet passing. When your defense watches the goalie flopping on the ground and don't attack the ball. When your defenders steal a ball and instead of clearing pass it to a Mexican player in scoring position. This team left their balls in the locker room and played like a bunch of sissies.

this sums it up. it's like they knew they were going to lose when they went up 2-0. you gotta have more confidence then that in your ability. but you should probably have that ability first.

can't we get at least 5 people that are really, really good at soccer in this f*^(*&(in country!???

We have like 300 million people for ****s sake

US soccer needs to start promoting soccer in the ghetto and in rural areas. We need US athletes with the same edge we're accustomed to seeing in all of our other sports. Too much soccer mom influence on the field right now.

I'm sick of the same story with the U.S. team. They do it every time during tournaments. They play well and get to the elimination rounds and then completely fail.

Its like seeing 2009 all over again but this time they actually had mexico at 2-0.

4 goals...after leading 2-0

guatemala and Honduras gave mexico a better game.

The worst part about it is the fact that its against mexico. They treat these games against the U.S. like its the superbowl

The worst part about it is the fact that its against mexico. They treat these games against the U.S. like its the superbowl

You know why? Because U.S. soccer team is pretty good. Pretty good.

Is the best improvement of a country in soccer since '94 world cup, trust me.

At least I get to watch mexico get owned in the copa america.

Messi ftw

In partial defense of the USMNT...

it was Bradley's "plan" that gave us a 2-0 lead. So I don't want to hear the same whine that it's what ended up at 4-2. Can't have it both ways.

"Soft soccer mom influence"? Same mama's boys that drove to the quarter finals in 98? Same gutless chokers in South Africa? Unless something radically changed about how kids are driven to practice a decade ago then it's not a valid argument.

Ladies and gents, welcome to the club of high level soccer. Now people expect something of our boys but at the same time, not every "generation" has "it"... ask the Germans, French, Dutch, Spaniards, Argentines, Brazil, England, and on and on. Despite MLS existence, for some reason we've had two of the best American players ever, but also some of the biggest yawn inducing goofs in between.

Bradley is just a part of the problem and an overstated part of it at that. USSF is a dinosaur from a time when soccer didn't matter in this country. It needs to be broken down and reconstituted. Right now too many entities are watching out for their own turf and the goal of putting a team together that can win the world cup is merely an afterthought. The way it's structured is that the professional "delegation" gets the most votes, but every other entity (for example US Youth Soccer) has enough of a vote to veto a motion.

The pro delegation fights for things like against the release of MLS players for friendlies, which is one thing Klinsmann and the federation could not agree on. US Youth soccer fights for things like the status quo because it's the cash flow for many members of it's controlling bloc. As you can see, all this runs counter to creating players like Dempsey of Donovan. We produce players like that more by accident than on purpose.

It's completely possible that despite MLS the quality of our players have regressed. Take Germany for example. In the late 90s they decided that they weren't producing the caliber of players needed to win world cups, so they overhauled the program from grassroots to the senior team. This is multi-champion Germany we're talking about.

For someone immersed in this stuff on a daily basis, our best youth players are rotting away in a dysfunctional system. The Developmental academies are in their nascent stages and we don't know if they'll turn the tide yet. The current USSF brought us this far but it's not built to take American soccer to the next level. In the current set-up we'll always be a solid tier three country.

At least I get to watch mexico get owned in the copa america.

Messi ftw

LOL

It seems that will be the case, its sad this team with Chicharito, Dos Santos, De Nigris and Salcido etc will no travel to Argentina, in his place this morons will send a bunch of kids, Sub 22 team.

LOL

It seems that will be the case, its sad this team with Chicharito, Dos Santos, De Nigris and Salcido etc will no travel to Argentina, in his place this morons will send a bunch of kids, Sub 22 team.

I thought they would go since they were the team invited to play in the copa america.

It was a perfect shot to see what Mexico can really do against solid teams.

That combination of Chicharito, Santos and barrera is amazing.

What about their dopers? Are they going or staying home?

Nop, those dumb *** will not travel, in fact no one from this team will travel.

The only one I know will travel for sure is Hector Reynoso the dude who was the change for Marquez tonight, and another guy ... I can't remember his name.

I thought they would go since they were the team invited to play in the copa america.

It was a perfect shot to see what Mexico can really do against solid teams

I want to see this team versus Brasil and Argentina, surely those soccer masters will kick our *****, but like you said is not the same for US and Mexico play against Panama, Trinidad, El Salvador with all due respect.

In fact I want to see A REAL Copa America with all the americans involved.

U.S. team is pretty close and viceversa to this mexican team, I mean, I believe your team can handle teams like Chile, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, the problems starts with Uruguay, and then Brasil and Argentina.

NFL translation? Yeah, the Raiders, Redskins, and Bengals should be no problem but you start running into problems when you play the Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots.

Yes. I'm snippy and bitter. My country's players suck and there's no end in sight.

Improvement? Thank good I was at the DC United game(funny enough they gave up a goal in the last minute to give away 2-1 win and instead got a draw. This is a disgrace. I realize soccer/football is not the main sport in the US but damn we deserve much better than 2-0 leads turning into 4-2 defeats.

When I turned on the game and saw we were winning 1-0, I kept having flashbacks from our loss to Brazil a couple of years ago.

At halftime though I was still somewhat optimistic that we had a good chance at winning.

That didn't last long in the second half.

The defense was pretty bad.

Our defenders were constantly out of place and on offense we seemed confused when we got near the goal at times.

Archived