Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per SI: Gay softball league can limit straight players

Popeman38

hypocritical and I imagine damaging to equal rights cause

I don't know if I agree with this.

This really is the ying and yang of civil rights issues.

Pure integration would eventually mean that all corners of the culture where minorities have created their own niche would be overwhelmed by the dominant culture. Is Howard University still Howard University if its student body has the same racial makeup of the population at large?

I've never completely worked out a perfect system for this issues. So, I'm just a bloody hypocrite about it. Straight people have a million places to play softball. To hell with the plaintiffs.

Pure integration would eventually mean that all corners of the culture where minorities have created their own niche would be overwhelmed by the dominant culture. Is Howard University still Howard University if its student body has the same racial makeup of the population at large?

I've never completely worked out a perfect system for this issues. So' date=' I'm just a bloody hypocrite about it. Straight people have a million places to play softball. To hell with the plaintiffs.[/quote']

are you saying that Gay people dont also have the very same million places to play too?

How about no special restriction leagues at all and simply let everyone play together instead?

I've never completely worked out a perfect system for this issues. So' date=' I'm just a bloody hypocrite about it. Straight people have a million places to play softball. To hell with the plaintiffs.[/quote']

Is more and more segregation really the answer to discrimination ?

Most of us would applaud gays if they sued over being denied the right to play in a "non-gay" league.

Throwing the racial element into this really blows your theory. Blacks dominate many sports in this country. So would you still support having non-integrated baseball? Or how bout basketball.

(Nobody would watch either, of course, for the same reason that no one watches the WNBA. But I digress.)

are you saying that Gay people dont also have the very same million places to play too?

How about no special restriction leagues at all and simply let everyone play together instead?

C'mon, think about what your saying here and where it leads. Do you really want grown men to be able to join the Boy Scouts. Do you really want Catholic Priests going overnight camping with Cub Scouts and sharing a tent! Do you want that on your head!!!

:silly:

the point isn't softball, though. the point is to socialize. You think adult kickball is about competing in kickball, or a fun and active way to meet people of the opposite sex? I view this in the same way (well, not opposite sex in this example) as it is supposed to be a way for men who like men to meet other men who like men in a fun and active environment.

I've had the same dilemma. I have a problem with discrimination, and think it should be illegal. But I also think that there are some places that discriminate, that I approve of.

My examples are the Boy Scouts (must be a boy) and Hooter's (must have hooters). I don't have a problem with them discriminating.

The solution I've come up with, would be for society to pass and enforce laws prohibiting discrimination, but any business has the power to exempt themselves from the law. All the business has to do is to:

1) File a legal document in which the business states that discrimination is a fundamental part of their corporate identity. That the business has to discriminate (in the specified manner), or else it would no longer be the business that it is.

2) And place some specified symbol on every customer entrance to the business, so that customers entering the business are aware that they are entering a business which, according to the business itself, is founded on discrimination.

(My reasoning for the second requirement is so that the customers can chose whether to support this particular form of discrimination. My reasoning is that if some business, say, were to refuse to hire or serve Muslims, I could see myself using that business for years and never even knowing that I was promoting discrimination. A symbol near the door eliminates the "I didn't know" factor.)

the point isn't softball, though. the point is to socialize. You think adult kickball is about competing in kickball, or a fun and active way to meet people of the opposite sex? I view this in the same way (well, not opposite sex in this example) as it is supposed to be a way for men who like men to meet other men who like men in a fun and active environment.

Are you overlooking the ones excluded are BI?

They like other men...and women

and probably livestock,but we won't go there.:silly:

So much for gays preaching equality.. Guess its a saying if it favors them?

Let me see if I get this right. A lot of homosexuals "preach equality." A handful of homosexuals want to discriminate against heterosexuals. Therefore, homosexuals who "preach equality" are full of ****? :ols:

Some more items from the original article:

The team in question, in addition to the three plaintiffs, also has the league-allowed two players who claim to be straight.

The league, in the past, has counted bi people as gays.

The three plaintiffs are being represented by the National Center for Lesbian Rights in San Francisco.

Supposedly, when the players were challenged on their gayness, one of the players admitted to being married to a woman, and another said that he was bi, but admitted that he was more attracted to women than to men.

(I'm wondering: In order to win their lawsuit, are the plaintiffs going to have to prove, in court, beyond a reasonable doubt, that they're gay?)

(I'm wondering: In order to win their lawsuit, are the plaintiffs going to have to prove, in court, beyond a reasonable doubt, that they're gay?)

That's a good question, Larry.

This entire think reminds me of some blacks telling other blacks that they're not "black" enough. Who exactly sets the standard for what is "black" or "gay?"

Maybe the plaintiffs are taking this too far, but I think they're raising a legitimate concern.

Archived