Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per SI: Gay softball league can limit straight players

Popeman38

The Special Olympics, right now, admits only people who are retarded (I forget the exact criteria they use, but it's a hypothetical, anyway).

Just to be picky... they admit people with a cognitive disability. It's a small, but important distinction. There are a variety of people who may not be retarded, but are cognitively impacted and therefore are eligible.

In general, I agree with your point. For me, the issue is about fairness. Fair isn't always equal. I do think that the guys excluded from playing in this gay softball league have been discriminated against, but I'm not sure that while they have been discriminated against they have been harmed. It's a fine line. Now, I don't really see a reason why gay softball players and straight softball players can't co-exist and in fact, I think that a segregated league could do damage to the gay community in that it takes away one more neutral humanizing venue, but I also think if they want "a league of their own" I frankly don't see a great reason why they shouldn't have one.

It's a delicate line though.

Archived