Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is any job better than no job?

renaissance

Employers with that kind of attitude are often the "real jerks" as they fail to realize in this economy there are millions of highly-qualified, highly-motivated people who end up out of work for far longer than 2 months.

Agree. I graduated college in May of 2008, I finally got a job in August, 3 months later. I must have applied for 30-40 jobs in that 3 month period. So its definitely more understandable now as to why people have gaps in employment than before.

I would not stress the commute. You can absolutely live in D.C. and work in Annapolis. That way if you get a job in DC you would not have to move again.

I considered this but the only viable option as far as neighborhoods are concerned when considering distance and liveability would be college park and that's not entirely appealing and would still be a long drive every day.

Also for those talking about the resume black hole, just out of curiousity what's the minumum time you work somewhere before putting it on your resume? Like if you start one job but only stay for 3 months before moving to something more permanent, do you even put that new job on your resume while you're still looking?

In general, the answer to the basic question is no. However, when you are talking specifics, many other things enter into the equation such as the available alternatives, the need for the current income to meet MY minimal requirements and the "visibility" of the job (both internally and externally).

Employers with that kind of attitude are often the "real jerks" as they fail to realize in this economy there are millions of highly-qualified, highly-motivated people who end up out of work for far longer than 2 months.

They are only being jerks if they then ***** about not being able to staff the project. As long as there is unemployment in your industry, if you cannot find staff for your project, there is no demand for that project to be done by definition!

First, highly-qualified and highly-motivated people will likely have a resume that is outstanding, and they will stand out.

Second, my dad's attitude is if you are unemployed for 2 months, you should be doing something towards making yourself marketable that can help you get a job and whatever that is, it should show up on your resume.

You should have something that makes it clear that you've been doing something other than sitting on the couch and that you have been going crazy.

My dad NEEDS to work, and he wants people that are the same way. 'I just graduated in May and didn't start looking for job a head of time because I wanted to take some time off before starting a job (where that time off is more than a few weeks and is really just a waste of time)' isn't going to get you an interview with him (unless there is something in your resume that makes you really stand out).

And whether they are jerks or not is essentially irrelevant. There are people out there like that, and given the economy, the more jobs you eliminate yourself from, the harder it is going to be to get a job.

It's a tough economy to be picky or play hard ball in a negotiation unless you are a highly sought-after commodity. Know what you are, and that should tell you whether to take the job or not.

If there's not something pretty exceptional on the resume, I'd take the job and figure out the living situation later. There are such things as 6 and 12 months leases, and commuting from DC to Annapolis 1) isn't that far and 2) is against the vast majority of traffic; so it's not that bad.

It's a tough economy to be picky or play hard ball in a negotiation unless you are a highly sought-after commodity. Know what you are, and that should tell you whether to take the job or not.

Yea I mean they won't take away the original offer just bc I ask for more money. I have been told by someone that used to have this job that my offer was really low. It's also pretty low compared to others who currently are in the position. With my experience I believe I'm definitely worth more than they are offering. Worst case is I ask for more, they don't offer it, and I have to reconsider with the low offer.

As you may tell this is the first time I've been in this position. All my job offers in the past were no brainers, this is the first one I've really had to think about.

Thanks all for the replies, btw :)

Definitely tell them: "I am extremely interested, but with my current budget the Salary you are currently offering is just not high enough for me to accept, is there anyway your company can bump up the offer to such and such amount?"

It can't hurt, I have done it before. I went back to them, and they can back to me with a new offer. If they really want you, a few thousand is not going to hurt them.

Just look out for number 1. Don't have job loyalty. The job market in DC isn't horrible right now, could be better of course...

I'd say don't take it and look a bit longer if you can. If you are going in at less than you want in a location you don't want... you'll eventually leave, sooner rather than later.

The question is how comfortable are you in the responses from the jobs you applied? Do you have a feeling that holding out another month gets you the gig you really want? Can you financially do it?

You went to Grad School to have choices. Remember that.

Um, I'd definitely say take the job.

After finishing grad. school and my time in Africa, I had to find a job asap to support myself and my husband. I applied several places and was offered a job that was a "bit too far away from me and not exactly as much as I wanted to get paid." The offer came so quickly after I started applying, I figured I would turn it down and take a job that was more "suitable" to my every "need." Well, I got hosed and no more job offers came in for quite some time. Realizing I had bills to pay and meals to eat, I ended up taking the crappiest piece of crap, God-awful job working for a Satan-spawn boss that I was completely over-qualified for (e.g., you had to have a high school degree for this job). It sucked ass, I hated every minute of it, but knew I needed to stay in it until I found a job in my actual field that I loved. I only had to work in that job for 6 months before finding my current job which pays in my "expected" salary range and is something I love and is in the perfect location for me.

My point is, in this crappy economy, fresh out of grad. school, with looming bills to pay...take what you can get for the time being and keep a watchful eye for jobs that will better your situation. It's not like you're marrying this job. If you don't love it, continue looking for a better job...while you make money and stay current on all bills that are due.

It's really a tough call. As we speak I am temping at an employment agency. I help assist tons of clients on a daily basis. I get a huge dose of folks who were making $15+ an hour doing whatever, and then have to be told with a straight face that they are looking at a $9/hr job and possibly only part time to start.

There are plenty of companies out there playing the "we know people are desperate" game and calling people's bluff about how bad they simply want "a job"

I really think it depends on everyone's personal situation. There are a lot of people that a $10/hr job won't even get their bills paid, while sticking it out another month on unemployment in hopes of looking for a better job sounds like the better option.

You can call it what you want, but that is just the way it is out there.

Good point.

Yeah if you want to work/live in DC, Annapolis is a little bit of a hike.

How much of a hike?

I was once (many years ago) at a bar in College Park and my buddy wanted to go to Happy Hour at a bar in Annapolis for ten cent raw oysters. I said "Are you crazy? It would take us an hour to get there!", and he said "I can get there in 30 minutes." Sure enough, he got there in 30 minutes.

My wife worked downtown in the same place for 25 years. The drive was exactly nineteen miles. It used to take her about an hour during the morning and evening rush. More recently it took her an hour and a half, IF there were no tie-ups. She now has a new job in Harper's Ferry, which is 55 miles away. But she can get there in 65 minutes and there is no traffic at all. Zero. My point is, I think the time is more important than the distance.

I think some are missing the relocation factor. Relocating for a job you are not sure could be a huge mistake.
I don't necessarily agree with this. First of all, she wants to be back in this area. Secondly, DC is probably the best city in the country to look for work.

My point is, in this crappy economy, fresh out of grad. school, with looming bills to pay...take what you can get for the time being and keep a watchful eye for jobs that will better your situation. It's not like you're marrying this job. If you don't love it, continue looking for a better job...while you make money and stay current on all bills that are due.

I agree.

Sidenote: DLSF just accepted a (dream) job yesterday in DC. She is moving back to the area from Missouri. :)

After finishing grad. school and my time in Africa, I had to find a job asap to support myself and my husband. I applied several places and was offered a job that was a "bit too far away from me and not exactly as much as I wanted to get paid." The offer came so quickly after I started applying, I figured I would turn it down and take a job that was more "suitable" to my every "need." Well, I got hosed and no more job offers came in for quite some time. Realizing I had bills to pay and meals to eat, I ended up taking the crappiest piece of crap, God-awful job working for a Satan-spawn boss that I was completely over-qualified for (e.g., you had to have a high school degree for this job). It sucked ass, I hated every minute of it, but knew I needed to stay in it until I found a job in my actual field that I loved. I only had to work in that job for 6 months before finding my current job which pays in my "expected" salary range and is something I love and is in the perfect location for me.

This is basically my biggest fear. If the job was in DC I definitely wouldn't have been so hesitant about it.

It's really a tough call. As we speak I am temping at an employment agency. I help assist tons of clients on a daily basis. I get a huge dose of folks who were making $15+ an hour doing whatever, and then have to be told with a straight face that they are looking at a $9/hr job and possibly only part time to start.

There are plenty of companies out there playing the "we know people are desperate" game and calling people's bluff about how bad they simply want "a job"

This part pretty much sucks. I just have to hope they really want me and not just anyone because I know they can find someone who will gladly accept the offer they made me. It's also partially an issue of pride to be honest - it's tough to know that 2 years and 1 master degree later I may actually be making less than when I started, even if the job is a step up.

How much of a hike?

I was once (many years ago) at a bar in College Park and my buddy wanted to go to Happy Hour at a bar in Annapolis for ten cent raw oysters. I said "Are you crazy? It would take us an hour to get there!", and he said "I can get there in 30 minutes." Sure enough, he got there in 30 minutes.

I actually was thinking more about this last night and came to a decision that if they can increase the offer I will say **** it and move to Annapolis and plan to be there for a year then figure out getting to DC later. If they don't really increase it, I'll still take the job, but will look into living somewhere closer to DC (like College Park) and really continue looking for something else in DC. If they can pay me closer to what I'm worth, then I have motivation to stay will them for closer to a year. If not, then I have no motivation to stay there, but as keeastman said, I do have bills to pay in the short-term!

Just speaking as an employer, I'd much rather have a candidate just turn down the job. Your employer will invest a tremendous amount of time and resources into training you and acclimating you to the business environment, only to have you leave in 3 months for something you wanted to do all along. That's not fair to the employer.

As an employee, if this was a job you could do while you live with a friend or family in your hometown that would be different. If you're talking about re-locating and finding a house, etc.... taking the job is a mistake.

For all the "any job is better than no job" people, that is true, but relocation is a game changer. And in this economy for any employer to automatically disqualify a candidate because of a large gap in employment (more than 2 months) would make them stupid, and by extension an employer you would not want to work for.

Just speaking as an employer, I'd much rather have a candidate just turn down the job. Your employer will invest a tremendous amount of time and resources into training you and acclimating you to the business environment, only to have you leave in 3 months for something you wanted to do all along. That's not fair to the employer.

Well pay me what I'm worth and I will stay longer :)

Archived