Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is any job better than no job?

renaissance

I've asked everyone I know for thoughts on this and I'm still undecided so I may as well turn to you people that I don't really know for some opinions.

I recently got a job offer which I'm contemplating. This is my first and so far only offer for full time employment since I finished grad school last month.

So here's the deal -

The job is in Annapolis. I ideally want to be back in DC.

Activity-wise, it seems like a good job and would be a good experience (fits my skill-set) even though it's not something I'm personally psyched about.

The current salary offer is for less than I was making before grad school, and 9k less than I listed (as was required) as the bottom half of my desired range on my cover letter.

I'm going to call this afternoon or tomorrow to talk to the guy about a possible increase in the offer. Going from our previous conversations though, it doesn't sound like he's interested in offering more. My biggest hesitations are based on the location and salary. If one or the other was ideal, I'm 99% sure I'd accept.

So I turn to you, ES. Would you take the offer regardless? Would you take it only if they are willing to pay more money? Are there other factors I should consider?

For me, it would depend on how urgent my need for a job was.

If you are living with/supported by your parents or someone else andrelatively sure you could find something in the next few months that would fit what you want to do and/or your desired salary - it might make sense to pass on the offer.

I think you should take a job you're going to be happy with. If you can live with the salary they are offering, see what happens and use it as a spring board for other positions. It sounds like you want to move back to this area, so you have an opportunity now with this job, If it sucks after a few months, try something else, but at least then you'll be living where you want to.

I had a job I hated for almost 2 years, I was miserable. So make sure you like the job before you take it. There's nothing worse than being miserable for 8 hours a day at work.

I think you should take a job you're going to be happy with. If you can live with the salary they are offering, see what happens and use it as a spring board for other positions. It sounds like you want to move back to this area, so you have an opportunity now with this job, If it sucks after a few months, try something else, but at least then you'll be living where you want to.

I had a job I hated for almost 2 years, I was miserable. So make sure you like the job before you take it. There's nothing worse than being miserable for 8 hours a day at work.

I don't think you can say Annapolis is DC. To me when someone says they want to work in DC, I think DC.

Unless you think you are likely to get other offers soon, always take a job when offered.

That doesn't mean you have to stop looking for other jobs, but the fact that you are employeed says good things about you (e.g. you are at least somewhat dependable/competent) that will help you find another job.

Damn nobody ever told me about the no job option!!!!

That's what I'm saying. You get a job offer, you take it. If something better comes along, then fine, but if you're a unemployed grown man, you need to work.

EDIT: I'm not saying you fall into this catagory, but there's a lot of people who "wasted" their lives waiting for the perfect job. You're still young enough to avoid that pitfall.

Agreed with others. Take the job. It does get you back in to the vicinity anyway and could be something you can use as a stepping stone for a future job that you will like much more and even in the D.C. area. A bit of a roll of the dice,but probably not as risky as not taking the job and waiting on another to possibly show up.

It's so much easier to get a job when you have a job. If you think you will hate the job or you will completely betray your convictions or do something you despise then reject it. Otherwise, take a deep breath and accept it knowing that the first job is usually not for life and in six months you can always start to look elsewhere. Who knows, the job might even surprise you and become your perfect fit.

Unless there is a really good reason to reject it, I'd very strongly consider it.

I would not say any job but any job that doesn't force you to go against your morals or something of that nature, I would probably take. There is no shaming in taking a job that is less then what you would have normally worked at in better economic times. I am thankful for the employment I have now but there was a time not so long ago that I worked several, less then desirable jobes. I would take the job, were it me.

The major crisis with "any job" is that a job that is good enough will steal your ambition and ruin your life. Why fight to reach your dream if your current job is good enough? In your case however it doesn't seem like you have a goal greater than pay amount and location... so I'd look at it as a negotiation situation for the time being. Compile information on the salary range for that job. Salary.com for instance will show you the range and will help you make a convincing argument.

I don't know how good you are at influencing decisions. It's always a gamble but if you're good at it it's a gamble you take because at a standard 3% raise it could take years just to get to where you wanted to start.

Unless you think you are likely to get other offers soon, always take a job when offered.

That doesn't mean you have to stop looking for other jobs, but the fact that you are employeed says good things about you (e.g. you are at least somewhat dependable/competent) that will help you find another job.

I saw on the news that some companies wont' even consider you unless you have a job

That "blank hole" isn't exactly helpful

I saw on the news that some companies wont' even consider you unless you have a job

That "blank hole" isn't exactly helpful

My dad runs a small business. He always says once you have 2 months of unexplained activity, there better be something outstanding about your resume to get you noticed.

The BEST case scenario is that you don't love to work and didn't go crazy doing "nothing" for 8 weeks.

(The worse case is you are a complete and total incompetent jerk and the last place fired you after only a few weeks, and you intentionally left it off your resume.)

I understand what you guys are saying about taking the job and finding something else later - the only challenge is I'd be in Annapolis doing that not in DC. So if I did find something else in say 3-4 months, I'd have to up and move again which is not the easiest task esp since I'm not the only one who'd be moving.

And yes I understand the "it's your only offer, take it" argument, I'm not a complete doofus. I just can't figure out if it'd really be worthwhile to accept the job, start working and keep looking for something better only to find something and up and move again. Of course then yes there's always the risk that I decline the offer and don't find anything else for 6 months and am forced to move back home with my parents which I have no intention or desire of doing.

And I am currently employed but my temp job runs out at the end of this month at which time I'll be headed back to DC regardless if I don't end up in Annapolis.

edit: I am going to call about a salary increase later today or tomorrow and if they move it up to what I want I will def accept, otherwise I'll probably be back to this thread. haha

Of course then yes there's always the risk that I decline the offer and don't find anything else for 6 months and am forced to move back home with my parents which I have no intention or desire of doing.

And I am currently employed but my temp job runs out at the end of this month at which time I'll be headed back to DC regardless if I don't end up in Annapolis.

Whats the time frame for acceptance? Sounds like limited time and lack of other offers may make it this or your parents.

My dad runs a small business. He always says once you have 2 months of unexplained activity, there better be something outstanding about your resume to get you noticed.

The BEST case scenario is that you don't love to work and didn't go crazy doing "nothing" for 8 weeks.

(The worse case is you are a complete and total incompetent jerk and the last place fired you after only a few weeks, and you intentionally left it off your resume.)

Employers with that kind of attitude are often the "real jerks" as they fail to realize in this economy there are millions of highly-qualified, highly-motivated people who end up out of work for far longer than 2 months.

Whats the time frame for acceptance? Sounds like limited time and lack of other offers may make it this or your parents.

I have to decide by the end of the day tomorrow. And I have a good month or 2 before I'd be forced to my parents' place.

I have to decide by the end of the day tomorrow. And I have a good month or 2 before I'd be forced to my parents' place.

You have any other apps in that you think stand a decent chance at what you want, or is this it. Only you know you're field and how much demand there are for services in that field. Times are tough and I guess you have to weigh the risk of going back home versus how sure you are something else will come up. It would royally suck if 5 or 6 months from now you are still looking though.

Archived