Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is any job better than no job?

renaissance

And in this economy for any employer to automatically disqualify a candidate because of a large gap in employment (more than 2 months) would make them stupid, and by extension an employer you would not want to work for.

True, it makes them stupid, but putting yourself in the job-seekers shoes, you HAVE to take the job offer.

Knowing that a prospective employer is stupid for not hiring you because of a 2+ month employment gap, provides no consolation when you're going through the financial hardship of going 2+ months without a job.

True, it makes them stupid, but putting yourself in the job-seekers shoes, you HAVE to take the job offer.

Knowing that a prospective employer is stupid for not hiring you because of a 2+ month employment gap, provides no consolation when you're going through the financial hardship of going 2+ months without a job.

Hard Stop right here. You can't go around this point. It's a question of surviving and Mick is dead on balls with this post IMO.

About rellocating. I'm under the impression that we are talking about renting with another adult along.

No homes and no kids.

I guess I just don't see that as a major issue. There was a period of time where I moved like 4 times in 6 years, and I had issues like trying to find a place an hour a way while living in NYC w/o a car.

These days with the internet and cell phones, it just doesn't seem like that big of an obstacle to me.

---------- Post added June-2nd-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

Just speaking as an employer, I'd much rather have a candidate just turn down the job. Your employer will invest a tremendous amount of time and resources into training you and acclimating you to the business environment, only to have you leave in 3 months for something you wanted to do all along. That's not fair to the employer.

Let's be realistic. For the most part, it isn't about being far. Employers do all sorts of things that aren't "fair". I've known kids that had jobs lined up in March were told they were "hired" upon completeing their degree and then like 2 weeks before graduation were told, 'Sorry, we decided we actually couldn't hire you.'

A few companies did it to a bunch of kids 2 years ago.

When employers start worrying about what is fair, then I'll advise potential employees to start worrying about what is fair.

About rellocating. I'm under the impression that we are talking about renting with another adult along.

No homes and no kids.

I guess I just don't see that as a major issue. There was a period of time where I moved like 4 times in 6 years, and I had issues like trying to find a place an hour a way while living in NYC w/o a car.

These days with the internet and cell phones, it just doesn't seem like that big of an obstacle to me.

Yea there are two of us and we would be renting. We are relocating regardless, but were hoping to be in DC. I'd be less hesitant to accept a job at a lower salary in DC because then at least I'd be in the area and when I found something better I wouldn't have to move again which is difficult when leases are involved, and when another person and their job are involved.

Well some of you will be happy to know I just told the guy I'd accept the job. No go on the offer increase though. Honestly I've never felt so not excited about accepting a job. We will see if anything else comes up soon.

If something you like better with better pay comes up don't feel the least bit bad about accepting it. If he was low balling you that's what he gets. If the offer was fair for the market, you'll be there awhile.

Well some of you will be happy to know I just told the guy I'd accept the job. No go on the offer increase though. Honestly I've never felt so not excited about accepting a job. We will see if anything else comes up soon.
welcome to Maryland, buddy :cheers:

And go read up on the "50 State Stereotype" thread so you can properly say, "Have Gieves bring over the lobster boat around"

I considered this but the only viable option as far as neighborhoods are concerned when considering distance and liveability would be college park and that's not entirely appealing and would still be a long drive every day.

Also for those talking about the resume black hole, just out of curiousity what's the minumum time you work somewhere before putting it on your resume? Like if you start one job but only stay for 3 months before moving to something more permanent, do you even put that new job on your resume while you're still looking?

Just got back to this thread. Having lived/worked in the MD/DC/VA area for 26 years I think it is funny that someone considers College Park, MD to Annapolis, MD to be a long commute. To me that is an easy drive. :)

Just got back to this thread. Having lived/worked in the MD/DC/VA area for 26 years I think it is funny that someone considers College Park, MD to Annapolis, MD to be a long commute. To me that is an easy drive. :)

Haha, for someone who hasn't had to drive to work in the last 5 years since I graduated from college, anything is a long drive for me :)

Sooooo, update!

Last week I accepted the Annapolis job and set my start date for the end of this month and we have an apt in Annapolis ready for move in around the same time.

Today I was offered another job*, one which personally would be more interesting and is in the area of my interest (and one which isn't easy to get in to, mind you). *The catch is this job is in DC, and I will not actually know if it's funded until August. So there's no way I am quitting the Annapolis job until I find out the DC one will be funded. Sucks though that then I would be quitting the Annapolis job after only 2 months and then I'd be commuting from Annapolis to DC for a while which could suck.

The other catch is that the DC job actually pays a tiny bit less than the Annapolis job so it goes back to do you accept a little less pay for the "ideal" job, or stick with the one that pays a tad more (2,000/year). I'm going to call the guy back tomorrow about the salary but based on my last try with that am not expecting much.

Of course it may turn out that the program doesn't get funded (they are bidding on a contract and are pretty sure they will win) and I have no predicament at all :silly:

**** me. I know this is a nice predicament to have, but c'mon with the timing!!!!

Going from Annapolis to DC could suck. But I assume at then end of your lease you would move into DC. Who knows maybe once you start working the first job you might even like it more than you think. Also with contract based jobs make sure you know how strong and long the contract is, sometimes they go away in a program cut just like that.

Archived