Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, overall, what are your marks out of 10 for the Skins draft?

ukvillaskin

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I gave them a 6 of 10 (one over average).

I liked the way they managed the draft, and I liked the way needs were addressed.

I did not like the way the O-Line was neglected. I am of the opinion that the first round pick in each draft we approach should be an offensive lineman until we have 5 young studs, and then we use 2-3 round picks until they all have quality young back-ups. It all starts in the trenches, and our trench still does not look like a developing championship line when they play.

I gave them a 6 of 10 (one over average).

I liked the way they managed the draft, and I liked the way needs were addressed.

I did not like the way the O-Line was neglected. I am of the opinion that the first round pick in each draft we approach should be an offensive lineman until we have 5 young studs, and then we use 2-3 round picks until they all have quality young back-ups. It all starts in the trenches, and our trench still does not look like a developing championship line when they play.

As I posted in another thread, we've got 14 OL on the squad as of now, and 10 of them are in their 5th year or less.

Not sure how many young linemen we must need, but that's a large group to develop.

~Bang

As I posted in another thread, we've got 14 OL on the squad as of now, and 10 of them are in their 5th year or less.

Not sure how many young linemen we must need, but that's a large group to develop.

~Bang

The way some people post Bang you would think we would need 52 linemen on this roster.

I'll give it a 7, not in love with it, but not a bad draft by any means. The volume gives them a bonus. I actually think Andre Brown and James Davis have some potential, so the RB outta Nebraska woulda sufficed for me, didn't need Royster. Limited OL, no LB and no QB, not even a late round guy. I'm not sold on Perry Riley starting if that's what it's gonna be.

I'll give it a 7, not in love with it, but not a bad draft by any means. The volume gives them a bonus. I actually think Andre Brown and James Davis have some potential, so the RB outta Nebraska woulda sufficed for me, didn't need Royster. Limited OL, no LB and no QB, not even a late round guy. I'm not sold on Perry Riley starting if that's what it's gonna be.

I agree on Brown and Davis. But I think Perry Riley will be good for us this year. He looked good last year, im confident with him or Henson starting for us.

I really liked what we did for the most part. My only complaint is that we only came away with a guard along the o line. I would give the draft an 8.

I agree. I give it a 7. It would have been nice to get a guard. Still, the team addressed serious needs on both sides of the ball.

~Bang

Lich

Williams

Montgomery

Capers

Cook

who are the other 5?

Also some of us aren't just upset because we didn't draft o-linemen, we're upset because of what we drafted instead of o-linemen. How many young WR's do we have now? How many young RBs? Don't even get me started on that NEB safety.

I'm not sold on Davis or Brown. Maybe Shanny can make something out of them but maybe there's a reason why he drafted 2 guys. People go and spout garbage like "I trust Shanny" then don't. I like that

- we didn't draft a FB/TE as we normally do.

- we drafted all character guys, team captains, and guys known as hard workers

- we traded down.

I could get peticular and say that we got our second rounder too early, but the counter to that is that we got our third too late (he should have been a high second rounder), so in my mind it balances out. I would have liked to see more OL both this year and last year, but its not like we didn't address weaknesses. A few years ago (Orakpo year?) I put up a post saying "what if no OL/DL in the first round". Yeah our OL will still suck this year, but our WRs wont and our RB wont. You'd rather have a decent OL and crappy WRs/RBs? Will we be good this year? Probably not? I don't even want to look at the schedule because I know we're going to be crappy. Would sixth and seventh round picks spent on OL have really changed this grade? If we get 4 (or 5) (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and possible 7th round NT) starters from this draft, I'll be hella impressed. Our team is universally bad. We're like an expansion team that stockpiled a bunch of veterans that nobody wanted and put together what some would call a team. The rest of the players we drafted go towards depth. Do we need depth along the OL? yeah, but like people were saying before the draft, we can't expect to fill every need in this draft.

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 09:08 PM ----------

~Bang

I'm not mad about the draft at all (I gave us a 10), but I really don't think much of the linemen on our roster. Short of Williams, I think all of them could be replaced and nobody would be mad.

I gave it a 9 as well. I'm not sure what I would have done differently to make it a perfect 10... I just felt like a 9 was in order.

I would have liked a QB, but, I am perfectly ok with not taking one as well. This was one of the worse offseasons ever to try and bring in a rookie QB. I would also have liked to see a clear NT/center somewhere as well... but we'll see how it works out. I am really impressed with how we drafted this year.

i give it a 9.

not sure why some people are upset. we have sooo many holes, and we may have filled half a dozen if some analysts are correct. everyone seems to preach 'best player available'. seems like shanny did that, not loving the O line or QB prospects that were there. no way you should draft a lineman just cuz its a need if you dont like whats there.

given that we have FA and money to spend to fill our O line holes, you couldnt have asked for more from a draft.

~Bang

Still would love to hear how you got those #'s, me and Tris counted 8 and that included 2 guys I've never even heard of.

Kiper talks about early impact players in the different rounds. Would like to see what it says
Leonard Hankerson, WR, Washington Redskins (Round 3, No. 15)

The impact: The Redskins got a lot of value for Hankerson, a player who can really stretch the field and give them something they didn't have last year: a guy with actual size (6-2) who can provide a physical mismatch down the field and go up and get balls. When a roster simply doesn't have what you can bring, you have a shot at making an impact. Hankerson doesn't have a lot of burst with short routes, but down the field he can separate.

The hurdle: For one thing, the Redskins aren't at all set with the quarterback situation. If they are going be juggling arms, you can't expect a young wideout to build a rapport with anybody early on. Secondly, Hankerson hasn't proved he's really versatile, so he could also be used as more of a decoy over the top to open up underneath stuff.

Roy Helu, RB, Washington Redskins (Round 4, No. 8)

The impact: Mike Shanahan traded up for a running back and the Redskins have a lot of uncertainty at the position -- do you think Helu won't get a fair shot to pile up carries? He's not a remarkable talent, but Helu is effective, and doesn't dance, and in Shanahan's one-cut approach to the running game, instincts mean as much as forty times.

The hurdle: Shanahan could go with a rotation approach, and could always look at other running back options in free agency.

To be able to land Hankerson and Kerrigan in the same draft says a lot. Both were worthy of a 1st round pick. Royster and Helu were both steals. Jarvis will be great on the D line. Overall, Bruce and Mike scored an A-. We had a very good draft if not a great one.

There is a lot to like about our draft. Glad we bypassed QB and took the most premium position in a 3-4, the OLB. Kerrigan's postive attitude and nonstop motor should serve him well. Helu has the potential to be huge this year and could very well have the biggest impact on this team. I like Hank a lot, I have ever since I first watched him at the Senior Bowl, but with our passer situation in flux, he might not be all that significant as far as production this year. We need this stupid lockout to end soon. Lets get on with some football.

I was kinda hoping to see us draft a center, but I defer to the coaches who obviously know who was on the board coupled with whom they wanted. I just hope we can replace Rabach soon. That dude makes me curse at the tv more than anyone.

Archived