Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, overall, what are your marks out of 10 for the Skins draft?

ukvillaskin

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

despite need they did not dip into this years sub-par qb class, they did not panic when Wisniewski went one pick ahead of them, they traded down for extra picks, players they picked appear to be hard workers of good character, picks bolstered areas of need.

best of all they infused a lot of new blood instead of relying on retreads if for no other reason that retreads are currently unavailable. still, bringing in all the fresh faces is something this team has needed for a long long time.

I have that question too because it seems odd to trade back 3 times in the second round and only end up with 1 3rd round pick. That left me scratching my head.

That could end up bumping this draft up in the 9-10 range if we landed some first/second day 2012 picks.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

despite need they did not dip into this years sub-par qb class, they did not panic when Wisniewski went one pick ahead of them, they traded down for extra picks, players they picked appear to be hard workers of good character, picks bolstered areas of need.

best of all they infused a lot of new blood instead of relying on retreads if for no other reason that retreads are currently unavailable. still, bringing in all the fresh faces is something this team has needed for a long long time.

This is just the beginning.

We need 2 more drafts like this, at least.

It's a great start and, hopefully, a sign of things to come.

That could end up bumping this draft up in the 9-10 range if we landed some first/second day 2012 picks.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

This is just the beginning.

We need 2 more drafts like this, at least.

It's a great start and, hopefully, a sign of things to come.

Not so sure that you can discount the fact that the Skins always win the FA game and have self declared that they would be very active in FA this year. A nice combination of some youth and a bit of addition by subtraction, then some targeted additions could bear some fruit rather quickly. I think the staff wants to compete every year and is in much better position to understand what they need this time around.

7 out of 10. Needed to at least take McElroy in the 6th. Would have received an 8 if they took him.

I think it would have made the draft grade worse because McElroy does not have much upside and Beck is already a better prospect. That would have been a totally wasted pick to appease media and fans that would have definitely backfired.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 03:11 PM ----------

Positives:

-I like the fact that the redskins were able to trade back for more picks.

-I like the acquisitions of Kerrigan, Hankerson, Paul, Robinson, and Royster.

Concerns:

-By trading back three times in the second round, the redskins should have acquired more than one 3rd round pick. Hopefully there were picks acquired for next year's draft.

-I'm not sure about Jarvis Jenkins drafted as high as he was. He only did 19 reps showing a lack of strength.

-Roy Helu and Dejon Gomes were questionable picks to me. Helu may fit the run scheme in Washington, but I felt there were far more talented backs on the board in the fourth round. Drafting Gomes when already having Otogwe, Landry, and Moore as a solid backup is a head scratcher. There were better options imo.

Overall I give a B or an 8 grade because considering the lack of picks the redskins initially had, they did a great job.

Over all, I'd say above average, and shocking that the team actually had 12 picks. When was the last time that happened?

I really love the first 3 picks, and I think all of those guys will contribute right away. The only big flaw, and this is just my humble opinion...only 1 O-Lineman selected, and no QBs...In the late rounds, I was hoping to grab some more OGs, and maybe a project QB like that guy from Delaware. Other than that though, I thought it was a real solid, not not excellent draft. 7 out of 10.

I rounded up to a 6, mainly because of Leonard Hankerson and the 6th round. We needed a quality ZBS center (Wisniewski) and let our chances for him slip away because we went first for a project DE I'm still trying to figure why we like Cornhuskers so much -- our track record with them, isn't that great..

As for our #1 -- Great character, but it is a gamble on whether Kerrigan will fit into his new role.. If he fits -- we did great (and my rank is 7'ish). Any higher rating will require that Jarvis Jenkins (17 reps and someone who needs more breathers than Haynesworth) really steps up thorugh a successful conditioning project. Or maybe a decent showing from one of the Cornhusker trio.

I wasn't that impressed with any of the Nebraska picks -- especially the WR Paul. (Gomes -- I like his toughness, and his Rodman-like ability with the contested ball, but where do we put him on the field?) As for everyone touting how the Skins snagged this year's 'premier one-cut RB, okay, but from the Helu highlights I watched I wonder how well Helu's running stle will actually translate to the NFL. (Now I understand --and agree-- that Shanahan has a better sense of what will work in the NFL... but there are times when I can't forget Maurice Clarett)

I liked our 6th round pickes -- :) Just wondering how many WR candidates we needed to pick.

As for the seventh round -- not sure how many of these guys stick around. We won't be able to fit everyone on the roster, so some of our Practice Squad will get raided. Sometimes quality does trump quantity. At least there is one NT in the lot, but now center.

I'm over the Skins forgoing Gabbert. But they are going to need a QB solution soon. And a guard situation too. I guess we're gambling on getting what we want in free agency (assuming labor impasse gets resolved.)

I give this draft a solid 8. We had alot of holes to fill, trading down multiple times to aquire more picks. Kerrigan, I think, is going to be a monster at olb. Jenkins, hankerson, and helu were also solid picks.Nield to me was a steal in the 7th round.

I give the Skins a A- and a 8 out of 10 in this poll. For the Skins to go into the draft with a half a dozen picks and leave with a baker's dozen is amazing. The fact that Shanny and Allen got the players they really wanted.....great. Overall I am truly impressed with our draft class for 2011.

Still sort of amazed of how we doubled our draft picks going into this passed weekend. If you told me before the draft we would finish with 10+ picks I would have laughed in your face, personally attacked you and enjoyed my ban.

Even the most cynical and cautious of fans should be happy with this draft, and the direction the organization is headed. I know we have been conditioned as a fan base to be apprehensive of just about anything the Redskins do in recent years, but I think some people now are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. On paper this is easily our best, most well-rounded draft in over 20 years. The Skins finally drafted the way so many of us had hoped for during the Vinny years. Will that translate to wins in the short-term? Probably not. In the long-term? Anybody's guess, but that doesn't mean you have to wait 3 years to feel good about the draft right now. Most experts that usually don't have much of anything nice to say about the Skins are praising the job they did in this draft.

Ryan Torrain and Evan Royster duo in the backfield could be tough to handle. Love Royster and hope he does well here for us.

Think Helu will be an after thought huh? I love what Torain brings, he's a pro-bowl caliber runner if he starts 16 games but I just can't seem to get over his injury concerns which leads me to believe that both rookie backs will play big roles.

Think Helu will be an after thought huh? I love what Torain brings, he's a pro-bowl caliber runner if he starts 16 games but I just can't seem to get over his injury concerns which leads me to believe that both rookie backs will play big roles.

Having Helu and Torain/Royster/Williams in on third downs will be hard to counter.

I know a lot of people aren't sold on our RBs, but I think Torain, Davis, and Helu could be the answer. They may not be CJ or AP type backs, but the three of them could form a nice trio and each will bring a different style to the field. I'm actually looking forward to the pre-season games to see these guys in action, especially James Davis. I'm real curious to see how he'll do, given that he'll have more experience in the system (obviously) than the new guys.

I'll give us a C+ for who we picked. If Gabbert or Ponder turn out to be superstars then I will downgrade it to an F. The only reason we are picking defense is because we don't have the personnel for a 4-3. Guess what? One or two more players won't change the D that much.

I'll give us a C+ for who we picked. If Gabbert or Ponder turn out to be superstars then I will downgrade it to an F. The only reason we are picking defense is because we don't have the personnel for a 4-3. Guess what? One or two more players won't change the D that much.

You can't be surious... What happens if Ponder/Gabbert turn out to be awful, then does it move to an A?

Adding a 5-tect/NT/SOLB can easily change a defense around BTW.

Really? Last year, there were 5 major areas of concern on defense:

1) One OLB

2) One NT

3) One S

4) One CB

5) One ILB

What did we add?

1) OJ Atogwe (safety through free agency)

2) Ryan Kerrigan

3) Jarvis Jenkins

4) Dejon Gomes

5) Markus White

6) Chris Neild

That looks like more than one or two players, and we've addressed all our needs on defense, save for ILB, but Perry Riley and UDFAs can fill that out nicely.

I may be wrong in thinking this, but when Mike was a coach in Denver did he ever have any high drafted offensive linemen there starting? I believe they drafted Clady in his final year but that's all I can recall. Just seems like he had a lot of mid-late round lunch pail guys.
I dont disagree

The O-lineman we might have lost could have been Bill Nagy in the 7th

Thanks Cowpukes

So if you miss out on a superstar in any draft and only find starters/very good players the draft is an F?

Really? A whole grade jump for a QB taken in the 7th round by a team who doesn't even have a need at the position?

The Redskins don't need a QB?

Few teams need a QB more than the Redskins. Not that any of these QB's are the answer but you can't say that we are set at QB. Right now we have a 35 year old QB that they benched and don't seem to want, and a guy who has started 4 NFL games and lost all 4 of them with a 50ish QB rating.

The Redskins don't need a QB?

Few teams need a QB more than the Redskins. Not that any of these QB's are the answer but you can't say that we are set at QB. Right now we have a 35 year old QB that they benched and don't seem to want, and a guy who has started 4 NFL games and lost all 4 of them with a 50ish QB rating.

Very true,, but I'd much rather see them not reach on one they aren't in love with just to do it. I dn't think anyone would be under the illusion that we'd be contending this year (or even 2012) if we'd gone QB. So as it is, we fill a lot more areas of need with players that can help make it a bit easier for a young QB when he does come in.

I thought Gabbert was ours, especially after the Vikings chose Ponder. But when he just sat there looking at his phone while we picked, I figured if Shanny doesn't want him, neither do I. He has a good enough record with QBs that I trust his intuition.

In Mike I Trust.

~Bang

Oh yeah I was the same. I'd be worried with any of those QB's. I really felt bad for Vikings fans when I heard why they went with Ponder. They were going to draft a QB even if it was just Mallet left when they picked lol.

(BTW, you mean Titans and Locker.)

Archived