Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jimi Hendrix: Star Spangled Banner. For or Against?

Springfield

Descending to the bottom of the ocean. 4:20 - 5:48 Feels like you're there.

I get a flashback just hearing it

Perfect example. And yet another reason why, when serious guitarists discuss who they consider the G.O.A.T., his name comes up more than anybody's.

He was underrated as a lyricist, on top of all that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Hendrix's version of the national anthem. Nothing. The ones who have such a big problem with it are the ones who should look in the mirror.

It never ceases to amaze me how the people I know who cry the loudest about patriotism forget that freedom to do WHATEVER we want in our personal pursuit of happiness is even more important than patriotism. It's what the patriotism is meant to protect, not attack.

I don't have a problem with it at all. What i do have a problem with is every hack wanna be guitar player who tries to play it like Jimi did.

About 11 years ago when i was in the USMC I went to my sisters high school graduation and they had someone who was graduating played it on guitar at the graduation. He was supposed to play it regular, but of course he thought he was Jimi and tried to play it that way. It was very very bad, and at the time it really pissed me off.....

This music kick we've been on lately is one of the best developments I've seen in the tailgate in a long time. I'm seeing bitter arguer's jamming on the same stuff. Music just kicks ass!

I can't stop listening to that Hendrix, I really didn't know that song I'm sad to say, but happy for the discovery.

1983 and Castles Made of Sand are probably my two favs

I don't have a problem with it at all. What i do have a problem with is every hack wanna be guitar player who tries to play it like Jimi did.

About 11 years ago when i was in the USMC I went to my sisters high school graduation and they had someone who was graduating played it on guitar at the graduation. He was supposed to play it regular, but of course he thought he was Jimi and tried to play it that way. It was very very bad, and at the time it really pissed me off.....

I was gonna say something about this too... here's a blast from the past that I doubt anyone under 30 will recall.

Remember when MTV had Rock & Jock Baseball? Pretty sure it was the 1st one they aired... some 80's hair metal guitarist did the star spangled banner before the game started. With his stylish Ibanez, complete with whammy bar, in def leppard shredded bleached blue jeans, he proceeded to basically "over soul" the song like Hendrix.

just turrible.

I'm extremely strict when it comes to etiquette during the Anthem as well as abiding by the Flag Code (which people break much more than they even realize, including me), but I think his version is awesome. He's probably the greatest guitarist ever, and he's playing his country's song. I don't see why it would be disrespectful.

EDIT: So, I had never listened past the first 30 seconds or so and expected it would continue like the opening did. Yeah, that's not the Star Spangled Banner. That is a hot mess, and I think it's pretty clear he was making a statement about Vietnam. I don't know if I'll call it disrespectful, but it's not too hard to do so.

I'm extremely strict when it comes to etiquette during the Anthem as well as abiding by the Flag Code (which people break much more than they even realize, including me), but I think his version is awesome. He's probably the greatest guitarist ever, and he's playing his country's song. I don't see why it would be disrespectful.

EDIT: So, I had never listened past the first 30 seconds or so and expected it would continue like the opening did. Yeah, that's not the Star Spangled Banner. That is a hot mess, and I think it's pretty clear he was making a statement about Vietnam. I don't know if I'll call it disrespectful, but it's not too hard to do so.

Not just Vietnam.. the protests in the US, the country seemingly coming apart at the seams, violence on campuses, civil rights struggles.. the 60s were a mess.

the thing about America is that it means so many things to so many people. To express it in the anthem in that way during that time was a hell of a statement.

The age of innocence was officially over.

And to tack on, I do think Marvin Gaye's is my my favorite, and it's really not even close. I watched that live (on TV) and literally had my breath taken away.

~Bang

I'm pretty sure that any artists music will contain elements of his/her personal life experience. Every artist who plays/sings the national anthem will inevitably vary the song to a slight or greater degree than the "original" version. (Can anyone honestly say that they've even heard the "original" version, and if not, then any version you listen to could be "disrespectful!")

With that being said, if YOU were a BLACK man in 1969 (consider the living conditions for Blacks during this era) with the gifted ability to play guitar from the depths of your soul, how would YOUR version of the Star Spangled Banner sound? Just food for thought!

1983 and Castles Made of Sand are probably my two favs

Those are good ones.

Wait Until Tomorrow and Spanish Castle Magic for me.

I'm a HUGE Hendrix fan and I have no problem with his version of the Star Spangled Banner.

If someone does have a problem with it, they need to take another look at their priorities.

What don't you like about it?

That's widely considered to be the greatest version.

Marvin Gaye's version was totally brilliant. To this day, imo, that was the best version of the national anthem.

For some reason I can't stand a slow national anthem, if someone's singing it at least. I can feel myself getting irritated like I'm stuck behind some slow ******* in the left lane when I listen to it :ols:

Archived