Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's The Greatest/Most Memorable Sporting Event You Attended?

DM72

Mine would have be a late 80's exhibition game between the Orioles and then AAA affiliate Rochester Red Wings. All I can remember and all that mattered was that Eddie Murray was there. I also remember being a little dissappointed as he only had ONE at bat. I also remember him getting booed loudly as he didn't swing at the ball all that hard, but he still got a single and was immediately replaced. Besides that, Cal Ripkin hit two HR's.

I'll never forget that night.

Northeastern vs. #1 Boston University - October 2009 - First hockey game of the season against our biggest rival coming off their national championship season. Sold out, blacked out Dog House in the world's oldest ice area (built in 1910). We get outplayed horrifically all game. Our freshman goaltender posts a 43-save shutout and we win late in the third on a powerplay rebound 1-0. We end the game killing off a 5 minute penalty including 2 minutes of 5-on-3. The last five minutes were so loud it was comical. Atmosphere rating 12/10.

A few honorable mentions...

Capitals vs Flyers Game 1 - April 2008 - I'd been to plenty of Capitals games as a kid but this was my first playoff game and the comeback from down 4-2 in the third and Ovechkin's game-winning goal. Atmosphere rating 10/10

Northeastern vs. Boston University - March 2011 - Ending BU's season in the Hockey East quarterfinals in Game 3 on their home ice with our fans taking over their arena. Yeah it was sweet. Atmosphere rating 8/10.

2011 Beanpot Championship NU vs. BC - February 2011 - A 7-6 OT game in the biggest tournament in college hockey. Going toe to toe with #1 Boston College. Came up a bit short in overtime but it was incredible regardless and ended up turning our season around. 10.5/10

Opening Day 2008 - First game at Nationals Park. Zimmerman with the walk-off HR? Yes sir. 8/10.

Most memorable: The VT/BC football game in Blacksburg, 2007, where Matt "Thunder****" Ryan brought BC back in the last 4 minutes to win it. It was cold and rainy and horrible, and we paid for it. VT played awesomely until the last 4 minutes of the game... Before the game, their coach even said that the fans in Blacksburg won't affect the game, and of course we took that personally.

Best: ACC Championship game that same year, going to Jacksonville and beating the hell out of BC. The revenge factor made it sweet.

2nd place for most memorable goes to my very first Redskins game with my best friend who was a Cowboys fan. It was the Skins/Boys game where Troy Vincent blocked their kick in the last second and Sean Taylor recovered it, and got the penalty, and then we kicked and won the game. That was an awesome experience, even though I was watching from the concourse and not the seats because my friend decided to get wayy too drunk and anyone who offered her any beer or drinks, she would take (because she was a dumbass and she thought she had more balls than she did). I ended up losing her immediately after we entered and spent the whole game trying to find her and taking care of her, watching the game here and there on the TV's outside. Never trust a Cowboys fan...

By far the greatest and most memorable sporting event I have ever attended was on September 5th, 2009. This was ODU's first football game in 69 years. The atmosphere around campus was insane all day long, and even though the win was only vs. Chowan, it was great to watch my college team gain a football team and get a win in it's 1st game.

I have two, and they both happened last year and at the same venue.

ECU-Tulsa game-It was the very definition of a shootout. Both teams traded scores off of the most incredible plays. It's the last drive of the game and the Pirates are making progress. They make it to midfield and time is running out. Dominique Davis scrambles...trying to find someone and he lets go a Hail Mary into the end zone and who should come down with it but Dwayne Harris, one of our tallest receivers. The whole stadium went nuts. I thought I was going to go deaf.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTo06hUmOBvSmrqYSCW9EgsRQ_6k5oyM  va-6AwRLIGSs7bKyPY2

ECU-North Carolina State game-This is probably my favorite one. Not only did it go down to overtime, but we were able to beat our arch rival (who was favored going into the game, mind you) at our house. I think it was the best attended game in the history of Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium and it sure felt like it. I could hardly breath in the stadium we were packed in so tightly. We got off to a great start, but we let the game slip away in the second half. In overtime, we were able to school a touchdown, but the extra point wasn't made. This was more than likely going to be the last series of the game. Our defense did something they had trouble doing throughout the season and dug their heels in. Russel Wilson went back to pass and who of all people but David Magazu, one of the worst players on the weakest part of our team (our secondary), came up with the interception and won the game for us. The stadium, once again, exploded with joy and we saw our hated rival retreat into the locker room.

I don't have many, I guess that is what happens when you are a DC sports fan. :ols:

1) GW v Charlotte men's basketball 2007. GW was ranked #6 in the country. GW hits a desperation 3 to send it to OT. Then in OT tips in a last second shot to win and finish the A10 undefeated (only 3rd team every to do it). Student section, center court, 4th row. Absolutely insane atmosphere.

2) The Redskins v Cowboys game a couple of years ago where we blocked the game winning FG, ST recovered and returned it. Cowboys got called for facemask and we kicked a FG with 0 seconds left to win.

I was fortunate enough to attend FedEx's only playoff game vs the Lions. Gus' return after the headbutt incident the previous year. That stadium was electric, and there was no way in hell the Lions were walking out with a win. Just when I thought the stadium couldn't get any louder....the fight between Tre' and the Lion's defender who tried to cheap-shot Brad broke out.

Plus, being in the concourse pre-game as the Music City Miracle occurred was a great way to start the game.

xV7hAz-75UA

This was in 2003 at Darlington SC

I was at the start finish line about 20 rows up from the track for this. One of the closest finishes ever, it was a matter of a few inches. I remember not knowing who won it was so close. Craven and Busch put on a hell of a show the last few laps. Even if you do not like NASCAR i think you would enjoy the end of this!

Hard to say. I've been pretty lucky in terms of awesome sporting events.

-Auburn vs. Oregon BCS National Championship, January 2011. So glad that my parents are crazy-about-football Auburn alumni. I wouldn't have been able to go otherwise. And it was awesome getting to see my school get a national championship while I'm a student here.

-Daytona 500, 2007. This is the one where Mark Martin ALMOST beat Kevin Harvick on the last lap. I was really disappointed that he didn't win, I was a huge Mark Martin fan. But it's still something I think about often. I was 16 years old and me and my dad spent the entire weekend in Daytona; watched the Truck and Busch race, watched some practices and qualifying. We had a really great time.

I have a lot that I could choose from. The first thing that popped in my head was the NHL All Star weekend in Raleigh this past January. But one of the most memorable was the 2002 Peach Bowl where MD clobbered Tennessee. The butt kicking was great, but seeing all those hillbillies in their overalls leaving early in the 4th quarter was the cherry on top.

Istanbul, May 25, 2005. Uefa Champions League Final.

50 thousand reds descend on not just another Country, but another freaking Continent given the majority who flew landed over on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, in anticipation of watching Liverpool Football Club lift the European Cup for a fifth time, against one of only two teams we actually look up to in Europe, AC Milan. I was tied with vacation time for this one, so the only way I could do it was the day trip at a very costly $815 bucks for the flight alone. After arriving mid-morning, and hopping a bus into the center of Turkey's largest city to be greated by a sea of red, partying and drinking the place dry, we get to the game that evening. (The journey to the stadium took forever, being the Turks had only just put in place an access road. And it was in the middle of nowhere, which lead to this utterly bizarre sight of hoards of Scousers descending over the red clay hills, like some swarming Martian army to this beacon of a weird stadium that just appeared out of nowhere. In the middle of nowhere.). The place is rocking, but low, Milan score virtually from the kick-off. One down, but at least it's come in the first minute and not the last. L'pool then denied a stonewall penalty, and Milan break to make it two. Disbelieving eyes watch on as Milan go three up before half-time, in the biggest soccer game on the planet. Half time is greeted in stunned silence, as the text's from city rival's Everton flood in from back home mocking. Then the singing starts, in some defiant stance. We may be getting destroyed, but Scouse pride takes over. The second half starts. We pull one back. Phew, at least the score looks a little more respectable. Two minutes later, another one. HOLY ****! Back in the game, and the place is buzzing again. Then the impossible is achieved, 3 goals in 6 minutes. 3-3. This **** doesn't happen against Milan, one of the best defenses ever, even by Italian standard. Hearts beating so hard it feels like it's gona' explode out of your body. The range of emotions from the deepest depths to the highest of highs money just couldn't buy. Normal time draws to a conclusion all tied up at 3 goals a-piece. 30 long minutes more to endure. Then late in that period, one of the greatest forwards of his generation, Shevchenko, Milan's Ukranian great, somehow contrives to hit the L'pol goalkeeper when it looked like he couldn't miss. All tied, and the agony of a penalty shoot-out to decide who'll take Europe's premier crown. L'pool score their first two. Milan miss theirs. Milan score to make it 1-2. L'pool miss. 2-2, L'pool score to go 3-2 up. Milan's final penalty. Shevchenko again must score to keep Mialn in it. Dudek saves ..... absolute euphoric bedlam. Two of the greatest clubs in World football have produced the single best European Cup final of all time. And my home town club has pulled off the impossible comeback of all comebacks to claim it's fifth Euro big one. The celebrations go on long into the night. Even the chaos at the airport is bearable after that. We land back at Speke around 9AM the next day. Exhausted but elated. The celebrations in the City that night we're a joy to behold.

I've been all over this planet over the years watching Liverpool Football Club pick up trophy after trophy. And no doubt they'll be many glorious nights in Europe to come. It's what that clubs all about. But NOTHING could ever match the emotions of that perfect May day in Istanbul, 2005, when we brought home #5. This time for keeps!

For anyone that thinks soccer is boring, sit back and enjoy the emotional roller coaster:

Hail.

so long as "event" and not just "game" qualifies, then I'm thinking the 2008 NFL HOF enshrinement with Monk and Green is my most memorable attended

This.

I've been to two Redskins games, both preseason, both in Ohio. Once was against the Browns in 2000, and we won 24-0. I don't remember a damn thing from that game. :ols:

The second was the HOF Game against the Colts. Now THAT was a fun weekend. :)

This has to be my favorite though. First year of college, 2011 MAC Tournament final against our biggest rival, and I was there. Just one month ago too.

urLKxDmZqf4

Game 7 NLCS Braves v Pirates....bottom of the ninth down 1 run, two outs man on second and third....Francisco Cabrera gets a pinch hit single just under the glove of the shortstop into left field...Sid Bream the slowest Brave by far scores on a weak throw from Barry Bonds...Braves win! Braves Win! Braves Win! ( then go on to lose to the Blue Jays in six games in the world series:() My hands hurt so badly walking back to the car from all the high fives and couldn't speak a word the next day.

I have a lot that I could choose from. The first thing that popped in my head was the NHL All Star weekend in Raleigh this past January. But one of the most memorable was the 2002 Peach Bowl where MD clobbered Tennessee. The butt kicking was great, but seeing all those hillbillies in their overalls leaving early in the 4th quarter was the cherry on top.

Wait..you are from Kernersville, NC and you are calling someone else a "hillbilly"?

---------- Post added April-17th-2011 at 06:07 PM ----------

Game 7 NLCS Braves v Pirates....bottom of the ninth down 1 run, two outs man on second and third....Francisco Cabrera gets a pinch hit single just under the glove of the shortstop into left field...Sid Bream the slowest Brave by far scores on a weak throw from Barry Bonds...Braves win! Braves Win! Braves Win! ( then go on to lose to the Blue Jays in six games in the world series:() My hands hurt so badly walking back to the car from all the high fives and couldn't speak a word the next day.

This was one of my favorite moments ever as a Braves fan. Second only to Glavine's gem to clinch the '95 World Series.

Skins over the Bucs in the wild card game, in Tampa. Nail biter game, Skins win. Felt like I floated out of the stadium after the game.

I kept asking the numerous fellow Skins fans (The ones that weren't wearing burgundy, you could spot by their idiot grins.) "Hey, I haven't heard. Anybody know how Dallas did this weekend?"

If the HOF weekend was half as fun as the ES posts made it sound, than that must have been one hell of a weekend, though.

Archived