Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JasonDenzel.com: I smell a Game of Thrones (new HBO show)

Mooka

Finished the first book. I get the limitations with CGI and funds, etc., but still would have liked to have seen Tyrian going off on the battlefield instead of being knocked out at the very start in the show. Still a great tv series that so far I believe overall is doing justice for an even greater book series.

Finished the first book. I get the limitations with CGI and funds, etc., but still would have liked to have seen Tyrian going off on the battlefield instead of being knocked out at the very start in the show. Still a great tv series that so far I believe overall is doing justice for an even greater book series.

That was probably my biggest bummer (and there werent many) about the show. There were some scenes that I would have liked to see more fully and a few charaters fleshed out more too. (Shae, Sandor Clegane(Dog) and all the stone crow crew, especially Chella)

I am a good way through the first book. I would have thought that the show should have included the foreshadowing scene in the book between Robb and Joffery. Their back and forth on the yard.

It would have been hard to do that scene because Robb's character was aged up a few years to make the rest of his story more believable by a modern audience. It would have made Robb look like a bully.

The biggest ommission has been the "Tower of Joy" flashback during Ned's imprisonment.

It would have been hard to do that scene because Robb's character was aged up a few years to make the rest of his story more believable by a modern audience. It would have made Robb look like a bully.

The biggest ommission has been the "Tower of Joy" flashback during Ned's imprisonment.

Yeah you are probably right about that. Just knowing how the series went on HBO and Robb becoming the kind of the North and Joffery being king of the South. You read that scene and think it is pretty cool foreshadowing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a "fantasy" person but caught an episode a few weeks back, found myself getting hooked, and then stopped myself from watching until I could DVR the whole season and watch from the beginning. My wife and I plowed through the entire show over the long weekend. Holy crap was that fun.

I'm going to be a pain in the ass next year about this, I think. I'm like one of those Sopranos fans who watched the first and second season on DVD in the course of a week and then ****ed about the slow pace from then on.

---------- Post added July-5th-2011 at 12:02 PM ----------

But I think there is good reason to believe that HBO will simply not be able to afford to film this massive series to completion. If they do, it will mean that a) this is the most profitable cable show of all time, B) it will be in the running for the greatest show of all time (if nothing else based on size and scope).

Unless subscriptions go through the roof or DVD sales are incredible, this will be a problem for HBO. They had to pull the plug on Rome after two seasons because the cost was so outrageous.

After watching the series, I started listening to the books.

Right now I'm on the fourth one.

As good as the show is, there's a lot of history and other stuff from the books that's left out.

It should be interesting to see how they do the next few seasons.

I can't wait to see how some of the characters are portrayed.

Even a season of shows could not contain all the richness of the books. Okay, I read the 1st one and have started The Clash of Kings. I did feel that the series advanced the story very well and could at least follow the plot of the first book. Loved the series and love the books too.

I just about finished with the first book, A Game of Thrones. Long books, but hard to put down and very well written. I am looking forward to finishing the series over the rest of the summer.

Reading the first book now. Highly recommend it to anyone who is done watching Season 1, it fills in the blanks and back story nicely. I watched a few episodes with my cousin this past weekend and dialogue that seemed to be just small talk really has a lot of meaning for the story.

Yes, I thought the show was very dense with seemingly inconsequential parts which have major impact down the road. Having read the books, I wondered how they would get it all on screne, but I think they did a great job. They walked a fine line to keep things moving fast enough for a 1 hour show but still set up future encounters adequately. I was worried I wouldn't like the show because of my affection for the story from the books, but they did a fantastic job. I suspect those who haven't read the books will be able to go back and watch previous seasons and still get some new forshadowing out of the 2nd or 3rd watching.

I can't wait for this series to return, I'm tempted to read the books but I don't want to 'know' whats coming, I'd almost rather watch it for the first time and be surprised. I read the 4th onward of Harry Potter before seeing the movies and I kinda wish I hadn't. Though I am looking to pickup the first book for things I missed.

This series gives me hope that someone may be able to bring Robert Jordan's world to life also.

That would certainly be interesting.

I've always wanted to see someone try.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Amber Chronicles or Dragon Lance as well.

On a side note, I just finished Feast Of Crows yesterday and read the three excerpts from the next book this morning.

Only a few days until the new book is out.

I have it on preorder...

as the wife and kids go away for a week at the end of next week right around when I should be getting the book...coincidence? No, but I'm not doing any google searches on cloroform.

• 1 month later...
Okay I'm over 700 pages into A Storm of Swords and those of you have read the books know what I just read last night.

Here is a good reenactment of my face:

violin.gif This is the world's smallest violen and it's playing "The Rains of Castamere" for you. :evilg:

• 6 months later...

I lent the series to my sister-in-law and she was confused for a large part of the 4th book because it isn't until the end of that book that Martin says that the events of book 4 and 5 are happening concurrently. So basically don't be alarmed if you don't see the POV's of any of your favorite characters in book 4, because they will be there in book 5.

Archived