Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JasonDenzel.com: I smell a Game of Thrones (new HBO show)

Mooka

The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite of all the Star Wars movies. When I first saw it in the theater, I wanted to immediately see the next installment. I was rather disappointed in The Return of the Jedi and thought it was cartoonish.

I'm going to rewatch last night's episode, or rather rewatch all of them. There is so much to these episodes to link them all. Thanks for the suggest for just going ahead and reading the books. I'm guessing that the HBO show is following pretty much the book only in much greater detail, so that is a good thing. My summer reading is now clear!!

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 12:08 PM ----------

On Amazon you can get the set of 4 paperbacks for $20. I think I am going to start reading the books. I read a lot anyways and the show has gotten me very curious about the series.

That's what I ordered last night. Eagerly awaiting their arrival!

For the record, I love the lead credits, with the 3D maps, and how they change it occasionally. That's awesome, and probably a really big help to people that haven't read the books. I know my wife loves seeing where everything is.

I also have to admit that the way they're portraying Renly surprised me at first, and I wondered if they added that in to make it edgier somehow... I didn't remember that. Then I went back and looked into it, and sure enough, it's there, just hinted instead of explicitly portrayed, and it slipped my mind.

I looked into it further, and apparently the story is that a group of fans assembled the clues, and approached Martin, and he confirmed it.

I'm being intentionally vague to avoid spoilers for those that haven't caught up, of course.

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 12:13 PM ----------

On Amazon you can get the set of 4 paperbacks for $20. I think I am going to start reading the books. I read a lot anyways and the show has gotten me very curious about the series.

That's an awesome deal. I have the last one, because I didn't want to wait for the library, so I think I'll fill out my set. My memory gaps, as highlighted above, are making me think I want to go back and reread the whole series before #5 comes out anyway. It doesn't help that he took forever on this last book, for sure.

how many episodes are left?

Next week is the season finale. Season 2 is supposed to start next April.

Okay, a bunch of you here are very familiar with the books and now the show. I am loving this show! So I bought the 4 book paperback set from Amazon last night. I read that they are taking a book a season. Since I have started watching the show before reading the books, I think my best approach is to watch the show and then read the book for more indepth storylines. Yeah?

I would read the books. It's tough to get the same sense of scale on the show due to budget constraints. There's also a VERY important flash back (Tower of Joy) that occurred in the book that was left out last night. We also missed out on the introduction of Roose Bolton during the Battle of the Green Fork (where Tryion was knocked out). He has a major role to play as the series progresses.

Tower of Joy

History:

It was used as a hideout by Rhaegar Targaryen, where he kept Lyanna Stark. Lyanna stayed there after Rhaegar left to lead his father, Aerys II's war against Robert Baratheon's rebellion. At the end of the War, Eddard Stark found his sister there, dying, after he and six others including Howland Reed fought their way through three of Aerys II's Kingsguard, Ser Arthur Dayne, Ser Oswell Whent and Lord Commander Gerold Hightower.[2] Eddard Stark and Howland Reed were the only survivors. Afterwards, Eddard pulled stones from the tower to make cairns for the dead.

One of the most popular theories is that Jon Snow is really the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. The events that take place at the Tower of Joy help support this.

Okay, a bunch of you here are very familiar with the books and now the show. I am loving this show! So I bought the 4 book paperback set from Amazon last night. I read that they are taking a book a season. Since I have started watching the show before reading the books, I think my best approach is to watch the show and then read the book for more indepth storylines. Yeah?

I tend to agree with the wait till done approach. I said before that if I've read the book within a couple of years before the movie or show, I'll ALWAYS be disappointed. The bulk of my fiction reading is done after I see the movie or the series.

I tend to agree with the wait till done approach. I said before that if I've read the book within a couple of years before the movie or show, I'll ALWAYS be disappointed. The bulk of my fiction reading is done after I see the movie or the series.

This could be a multi-year experience!

See I like to do it the other way. I like to compare and contrast between the two. Plus, a book is much longer than a movie so it makes it that much harder to get through if you already know what is going to happen. But each their own.

See I like to do it the other way. I like to compare and contrast between the two. Plus, a book is much longer than a movie so it makes it that much harder to get through if you already know what is going to happen. But each their own.

It is interesting that you like to do it the other way in part because you want to compare and contrast because that is a big reason I like to do it the movie or series first and then read the book. Also, for me, another reason I like to read after viewing is that it makes a detailed book(s) much easier to read knowing the end but then I always read books quickly to find the conclusion and then read for enjoyment.

If Martin holds to form, it definitely will be, whether you like it or not. :ols:

---------- Post added June-13th-2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

Just order the set on Amazon. Book 5: A Dance with Dragons is out too, but I will want until I finish the first four.

A Dance With Dragons is not out until July.

Normally I would completely agree with this, but for this particular case I am not disappointed at all with this series and I plan on re-watching this season as I prepare my re-read of all the books in anticipation of a dance with dragons release in July. I think thats the great thing about conveying the books through a series as opposed to using movies, because due to the inherent time limits of a movie it is well-nigh impossible to fit every important part of the plot, especially with books like this with so many different characters and just so much going on.

Fantastic episode. My only complaint would be the way they handled the Battle of the Green Fork. But, I can understand saving your CGI budget for the dragons.

agreed, they left out way too much IMHO, though I too understand. I wish they would have developed the stone crows a bit more too. I think its one of the few departures from the books.

either way, Love the great job they have done overall. The books are on my "must read" list and have been for years

Feast (book 4) was written in 2005. Dance comes out this summer.

GRRM has said that if HBO keeps the following pace, the TV show will not catch up with the books.

2011: Game of Thrones

2012: Clash of Kings

2013: Storm of Swords part 1

2014: Storm of Swords part 2

2015: Feast for Crows 2/3rds

2016: Feast for Crows 1/3 - Dance with Dragons 1/3

2017: Dance with Dragons 2/3s

2018: Book 6...

I can only hope that 1) HBO at least gets to Storm, 2) that it does not take GRRM another 6 years to write the next book.

Enjoy it for the ride, folks. I have a friend who is quitting the show because "he'll never see it end" because of the above. Oh and he's an ultra pessimist btw. Don't be that guy.

So is Taiwyn Lannister pissed off at Tyrion for being captured and that's why they're at war?

(spoiler in Ninja) Why did Ned Stark cave?

Enjoy it for the ride, folks. I have a friend who is quitting the show because "he'll never see it end" because of the above. Oh and he's an ultra pessimist btw. Don't be that guy.

So is Taiwyn Lannister pissed off at Tyrion for being captured and that's why they're at war?

I believe he did it for his daughters. He felt their lives were in danger, especially Sansa. Joeffrey is a douche.

Archived