Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JasonDenzel.com: I smell a Game of Thrones (new HBO show)

Mooka

Super excited for this series coming out on HBO, starts Sunday. Its one of my favorite fantasy series, Game of Thrones is book 1.

This is a couple months old, but HBO sent out these promotional treasure chests to certain people in the media for reviewing the show containing fun stuff to watch the show with.

Jason Denzel: I smell a Game of Thrones

When HBO announced a few years back that they had acquired the rights to the series and were planning to adapt it as a multi-season show, I applauded the move and sensed in my heart that it was the right one. It just feels right to do this series in this way on that network. Right? I’d be curious to see if there was any significant backlash against Mr. Martin or HBO when it was announced. Sure, there might have been a few angry bloggers here or there, but I suspect that the vast majority of fans and industry professionals proclaimed it to be a solid venture. We’ll see if it works out for them in April!

So all that said, I was absolutely stunned (and honored) yesterday when FedEX arrived at my house to deliver a hefty package from HBO. I don’t have any contacts there, and I’ve never done any (direct) promotion for ASoIaF. But I suspected correctly that this was all about the TV series as soon as I saw the HBO logo on the outside envelope. But I never would have guessed what was inside. Take a look:

IMG_8775-300x200.jpg

IMG_8781-300x200.jpg

I hope I can make it through these....

The first 50 or so pages of A Game of Thrones are just brutal to slog through (at least they were for me). There's just so many characters to set up, and nothing seems to be happening (after the prologue). I actually quit on the book once, only going back when I kept reading and hearing rave reviews.

After that, though, they're fantastic, though I think there's a very real chance he'll never finish the series.

The first 50 or so pages of A Game of Thrones are just brutal to slog through (at least they were for me). There's just so many characters to set up, and nothing seems to be happening (after the prologue). I actually quit on the book once, only going back when I kept reading and hearing rave reviews.

After that, though, they're fantastic, though I think there's a very real chance he'll never finish the series.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Dance comes out July 12th. Hopefully he remains in good health and is able to complete the series.

I bought the first 2 books a few weeks ago but have put them aside so that I can finish another series (which I suspect is a lot easier than this series).

The "Red Wedding" alone makes the entire series whortwhile.

Here's to hoping HBO keeps the show going long enough to light the fire under him. He is one of the best writers in the genre, but his pace makes Rothfuss look like the Roadrunner. When writers like Hobb, Erikson, and Sanderson can crank out one or more books of very high quality every 12 months or so, it's ridiculous to take over 10 years to write and publish two books. I don't care how many anthologies one edits or how many Cons one waddles off to. At some point it all starts sounding like an excuse. We've been hearing about this damned ""Meereenese knot" for years now. The boy who cried wolf has more credibility than Martin when it comes to release dates and hold-ups.

...but the man can write circles around 99% of the genre, his series is one of the more complex, and I'm really looking forward to watching these after they're released to DVD. So who am I? ...I'll go shut up and color. If I'm lucky I can finish building my full scale replica of the Sistine Chapel and get it mostly painted before The Winds of Winter blow out of his butt and onto the page.

I bought the first 2 books a few weeks ago but have put them aside so that I can finish another series (which I suspect is a lot easier than this series).

I'd probably put em aside for a while longer. Though that July release date seems legit with the show airing.

Probably not. I bet an editor could sort through all Martin's mumbo jumbo and put out at least 2 more books though.

Yup. After extending the number of books from four to six, he's all but guaranteed to do a Robert Jordan.

Let's be fair here. Robert Jordan plugged away at a fairly constant pace, and then developed an exceptionally rare blood disease that prevented him from finishing, which he almost certainly would have done otherwise. He also, for what it's worth, left exceptionally detailed notes so that another writer could finish if he didn't survive, which is sadly what happened, and Brandon Sanderson is now doing a good job with it.

Martin, on the other hand, while a fantastic writer, has about 50 projects going at any one time (including this TV series), and he always seems distracted by something else. I would not be surprised at all if he just never gets around to finishing.

Just watched the 15-minute preview (basically just the first 15 minutes of the pilot). Wow. This is going to be awesome, and though they changed some things, they got some GREAT actors to play these roles. I mean, there are pages and pages of explanation being conveyed to the audience with a single look, in some cases. And it works. My girlfriend has never read the books, and immediately picked up on the Cat/Jon dynamic, from a single look.

Don't have HBO at school, so I'll be waiting for it to pop up online...hope you guys who are watching right now are enjoying it! I've already seen everything for the next 8 minutes though, besides the title sequence, which I heard is awesome.

It was pretty awesome. I'm not usually pulled in by just the visuals but this was pretty awesome.

SPOILER ALERT

so, i thought it was pretty good. there are a lot of characters to develop. no way that kid is dead already, they put a lot of time into him... and i hope he didnt land on the wolf.

what i havent quite figured out is just how much fantasy there is in this show. i mean, that dead wolf was massive and they talk about dragons and such.

SPOILER ALERT

so, i thought it was pretty good. there are a lot of characters to develop. no way that kid is dead already, they put a lot of time into him... and i hope he didnt land on the wolf.

what i havent quite figured out is just how much fantasy there is in this show. i mean, that dead wolf was massive and they talk about dragons and such.

There is fantasy, some shown, some referenced. But at its heart its ALWAYS a political drama about relationships, power, and aqcuiring that power through relationships...with some fantasy, some fighting, some fantasy history, and some monsters.

But its all about power, and getting it. And keeping it.

So don't let the parts that ARE fantasy turn you off, if that's not your thing.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT AS WELL

From the look ahead they gave at the end of the show it appears as if the boy does die, because the 2 families are feuding. I also hope he didn't land on the wolf as well, but I wouldn't be surprised with it being HBO.

I thought the first show was great, and it looks like HBO has another award winning series on their hands.

Spoiler alert:

It was interesting to see which characters and parts were developed in the first episode. I thought most of the lady being sold by her brother to the horse tribe was inthe second book (been 10 years since I read though, so who knows? That storyline has a lot more fantasy which may help sell the series for the croud wanting more of the fantasy side). They did have her brother play the insolent jerk well.

In any event, I thought the first episode was very well done

Archived