Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JasonDenzel.com: I smell a Game of Thrones (new HBO show)

Mooka

Somewhere between 3 and 8 years old, I became aware that I could read. Being that I'm literate, should I read these books? I love watching HBO shows and don't want to kill it for myself but it seems like it would be a good read. I watched the first installment of LOTR THEN read the 3 books and the movies were not ruined. I wonder what effect reading this series will have. Would love to hear your thoughts, if you've read the books.

Somewhere between 3 and 8 years old, I became aware that I could read. Being that I'm literate, should I read these books? I love watching HBO shows and don't want to kill it for myself but it seems like it would be a good read. I watched the first installment of LOTR THEN read the 3 books and the movies were not ruined. I wonder what effect reading this series will have. Would love to hear your thoughts, if you've read the books.

i got my roommate to watch the first episode, he then downloaded the first book. he is finished it now, and we watch the episodes together. he says they stay really close to the book, yet he really enjoys watching the show, so, in response, i dont think it would ruin it.

lol, its so crazy reading people's posts who have not yet read the books. Man you have no idea what this show has in store for you guys. Can't wait to read ADWD in July.

i keep asking my roommate for limited details. he says their realm is kinda a mix of our world and the lord of the rings world. sweet, i love a little fantasy. very interested to see what is beyond the great wall. it looks desolate, unforgiving, and full of who knows what kinda creatures.

paolo%2520uccello-334245.jpg

I thought it was neat how the set designers slid in a Renaissance reference into the show. When Ned has his first council meeting on the back wall of the room is a rendition of Paolo Uccelo's painting "The Battle of San Romano".

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone still watching this? I heard some folks complaining after the 4th episode. To me the whole season has been great and I don't mind the build up. This is becoming one of my new favorite shows.

I am,, i love it.

Some parts drag a bit, but they don't for long.

Last night's fight for the Imp's trial was pretty awesome.

I like this Imp. He's a conniving ****.

Loved how he tossed the gold at the jailer on the way out... half expected to see him thrown thru the hole next.

~Bang

i'm watching still. don't like it as much as spartacus, but its fun to watch. last night's episode was good and i can't wait for winter to finally arrive and see the white walkers at the great wall and whatnot.

also, **** the dragon. he got what he deserved

i'm watching still. don't like it as much as spartacus, but its fun to watch. last night's episode was good and i can't wait for winter to finally arrive and see the white walkers at the great wall and whatnot.

also, **** the dragon. he got what he deserved

That scene at the end last night was really good. "He got his gold crown."

This is becoming my favorite show ever and the acting is really good. I look forward to it every week and most shows I DVR and will watch a few days later when I have a chance. Not for Game of Thrones, right at 9:00 I am in front of my TV for this show every Sunday.

Ninja: Never read the books, but I hope Robert's brother shows up to save Ned Stark in the next week or two.

yea, the past few weeks have really ramped up this show after a rather slow start

I feel like this is the norm for HBO shows with massive casts set as period pieces. The Wire, Deadwood, and Boardwalk Empire were all slow starters in my mind.

Particularly for these series, the action just builds throughout each book and the series itself, as the stake rise higher and higher. As someone who is working his way through the books (3/4ths through Storm), I think this show has done a great job of being honest with the text, as well as adding scenes and conversations when necessary.

yea, the past few weeks have really ramped up this show after a rather slow start

That's how the books were too. I literally quit on the first book 50 pages in because it was so boring... all character introductions and riding and stuff. I only went back to it a few years later after reading a few recommendations, and after forcing myself through the first bit, they have become some of my favorites.

It pretty much has to be that way. Martin's got like 5000 characters, all trying to screw each other over. It takes a while to set something like that up.

whatever. spartacus was awesome

For what it was. It was entertaining, if you could turn your brain off for every episode. Like a lesser 300. It also was pretty laughable >50% of the time, which was part of the appeal. It pales in comparison to a show like this.

For what it was. It was entertaining, if you could turn your brain off for every episode. Like a lesser 300. It also was pretty laughable >50% of the time, which was part of the appeal. It pales in comparison to a show like this.

spartacus had mindless violence and is visually similar to 300, but every episode got better and better and the twists kept coming. the finale where they slaughter everyone in the house was insane. also the character development was awesome, because i really hated guys like Batiatus.

i like game of thrones, but so far i prefer spartacus more. they are very different shows however and it isn't really comparing apples to apples

spartacus had mindless violence and is visually similar to 300, but every episode got better and better and the twists kept coming. the finale where they slaughter everyone in the house was insane. also the character development was awesome, because i really hated guys like Batiatus.

i like game of thrones, but so far i prefer spartacus more. they are very different shows however and it isn't really comparing apples to apples

That's true, it might not be a fair comparison.

I just hated Sparticus. I intentionally started watching it on Netflix knowing it would be a kind of guilty-pleasure show, with violence and nudity, not a masterful story, etc. I just wanted something mindless to watch.

But I hated it. Over-acted by poor actors, too small budget for what they were going for, shotty CGI that tried to over-compensate with a cheesy gimmick involving the blood and gore (which I have no problem with, ever) and slo-mo. And no matter what the show did, I couldn't find it in myself to honestly be shocked or surprised into caring about the plot, no matter the twist.

I compare it to True Blood, a show that should easily be on the same level of the "guilty-pleasure" scale as Sparticus. Its got Vampires, Werewolves, a flamboyantly gay fry cook/drug dealer/prostitute, over-played violence and blood, and it takes itself pretty seriously. Oh, and its based on some epically-bad novels, like, Twilight-level.

But its done SO much better, even with a couple members of the cast being so-so actors, than Sparticus. That's what a guilty-pleasure show should be like, in my opinion.

Archived