Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

March Madness 2011 Baby!

ACW

lol, sorry if i pissed you off with all the VCU talk earlier. did you and ren go there?

No neither of us did, although a good portion of her family did. I wasn't even mad just the fact that people were hating on them saying "oh well this team thoroughly beat VCU 3 times during the regular season" kind of just threw me off. I'm always a believer in that everything you do matters only in the postseason. Example (different sport), Caps owned the league last year to win the President's trophy only to get ousted in the first round by an 8 seed. After that you wouldn't catch me bragging about, oh well we ****ed up Pitt, and Philly during the regular season. Who cares? Nobody remembers the regular season champs. Favorable draw or not they deserve to be there and people hating on that just spews of jealously.

:cough: Tennessee or Indiana :cough:

LOL, Tennessee is close and it would seem that they are a good example of what it looks like when a coach cheats. Which stands in stark contrast to when a student cheats and the school pays the price for it.

As for Indiana, they suck and haven't been a threat for 10 years, now if you want a school that UK fans hate then all you have to do is look at UK and add a D and an E.

LOL, Tennessee is close and it would seem that they are a good example of what it looks like when a coach cheats. Which stands in stark contrast to when a student cheats and the school pays the price for it.

As for Indiana, they suck and haven't been a threat for 10 years, now if you want a school that UK fans hate then all you have to do is look at UK and add a D and an E.

UK should form a coalition with UMD and the rest of the world then :pfft:

No neither of us did, although a good portion of her family did. I wasn't even mad just the fact that people were hating on them saying "oh well this team thoroughly beat VCU 3 times during the regular season" kind of just threw me off. I'm always a believer in that everything you do matters only in the postseason. Example (different sport), Caps owned the league last year to win the President's trophy only to get ousted in the first round by an 8 seed. After that you wouldn't catch me bragging about, oh well we ****ed up Pitt, and Philly during the regular season. Who cares? Nobody remembers the regular season champs. Favorable draw or not they deserve to be there and people hating on that just spews of jealously.

you are right. and i'm not jealous of VCU, Mason has been there before. i guess i didn't want VCU to overshadow Mason's accomplishment which is why i said that Mason had a tougher road to get to the final 4. And I still do believe that Mason went through more of a murderer's row (so far) than VCU, they should still be credited for the great accomplishment they have made so far as well

you are right. and i'm not jealous of VCU, Mason has been there before. i guess i didn't want VCU to overshadow Mason's accomplishment which is why i said that Mason had a tougher road to get to the final 4. And I still do believe that Mason went through more of a murderer's row (so far) than VCU, they should still be credited for the great accomplishment they have made so far as well

Hey man, not a personal attack on you so I hope you didn't take it that way (thatswhatshesaid). Just a general observation with the thread.

Watch out with that talk... You're probably not a real hardcore VCU fan... At least that's what I've been reading...

Lol I see where you're coming from, but I share this account with a friend in Maryland. I was born and raised in Richmond, mom is a VCU grad and I'll be one soon too. I'm assuming you think I just threw this VCU sig up, but I've been rockin it for a while. I'm such a homer I picked them to win the NCAA. Same with the Redskins though, I suck at fantasy football because I can't bring myself to pick anyone except for our players.

---------- Post added March-29th-2011 at 02:59 AM ----------

TYzS3fjgLS0

Here is a great article from Sports Illustrated about the effect Mason's run in 2006 has had on mid major's:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/wires/03/28/2060.ap.bkc.ncaa.final.four.vcu.george.mason.1st.ld.writethru.0739/

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - George Mason's Jim Larranaga is the proud big brother. A regular Roger Bannister. The coach who paved the way for Virginia Commonwealth and Butler to make the Final Four.

When Butler made the championship game a year ago, Larranaga made a congratulatory call to his good friend, Bulldogs athletic Barry Collier. Collier quickly thanked Larranaga for helping Butler get there.

"I said, 'What are you thanking me for?''' Larranaga said. "He said, 'Until 2006, no one thought this could be done.' And now I think all mid-majors think this is a realistic goal for us to make it to the Final Four.

VCU winning that game both showed to me how wonderful the NCAA Tournament is and how bad the basketball regular season is. VCU was legitimately an 11 seed and had little argument for being higher. That means we might have a team win the "national championship" that was worse than the 40th best team in the country for the entire regular season.

This is NOT saying that college football wouldn't benefit from a slightly bigger playoff than it has now (say 4 teams instead of 2), but it's a clear sign of why college football games seem so much bigger, so much more important, and why the ratings reflect that.

Personally, I'd argue college football has the best regular season of any sport, while college basketball has the best postseason. Given the choice though, I'll take the best regular season every time.

Edit: I'll never understand how people can look at this type of scenario and say VCU earned a national championship on the court (if they win it), while any BCS national champion didn't earn it on the field. That doesn't make either illegitimate, I just don't understand the logic.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14871215/self-merely-highestprofile-victim-of-games-evolving-chipmunks

The year George Mason reached the Final Four, the Patriots were an afterthought, possibly unworthy of their at-large bid. The same was said this year of VCU, only more harshly. VCU did not deserve to be in this tournament, according to most Selection Sunday analysis. Whether the Rams had a bid-worthy résumé is a matter of opinion, but since getting that bid the Rams have demolished some of the most highly regarded teams in the country, including -- yes -- Kansas.

So Bill Self choked? I don't see how. In addition to what has been happening around college basketball in the past decade, look at what happened Sunday to Kansas. Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed are seniors who simply had a horrible shooting day. It happens. It's not a reflection on coaching that Reed and Morningstar missed 9 of 10 generally open looks on 3-pointers. It's not a reflection of coaching that Marcus and Markieff Morris played volleyball on the offensive glass, missing more than they made from point-blank range.

Don't make me out to be a Bill Self apologist, either, because I'm not. In February 2005, when Kansas lost three consecutive games, I called Self the anti-coach of the year. A month later when Kansas lost to Bucknell, I howled some more. That stuff reached Self's ears, because when I met him for the first time in June 2005 at the Nike camp in Indianapolis and stuck out my hand, he shook it without a smile -- and proceeded to quote from my stories from February and March. Verbatim. That has never happened to me, before or since.

i think Self ****ed up when he decided to not emphasize defense and shutting down VCU from 3 in the first half. He made the adjustment at half time, but it wasn't enough to dig themselves out of an 18 point hole when his players were ice cold from the field.

I put part of the blame on Self and part on the players.

i think Self ****ed up when he decided to not emphasize defense and shutting down VCU from 3 in the first half. He made the adjustment at half time, but it wasn't enough to dig themselves out of an 18 point hole when his players were ice cold from the field.

I put part of the blame on Self and part on the players.

Uh, yea I think it's pretty logical to say it's the fault of both the players and the coaches that a team lost :silly:

Blaine Taylor and Larranaga were absolute class in response to VCU victory. Blaine said many nice things about VCU before Selection Sunday and said that he believed they should get it. The campus is just a buzz right now. Everyone is dreaming of us possibly getting a national championship. Our players can't even walk around campus because they get ambushed everywhere. Everyone is still pretty worn out from the celebration over the weekend.

Blaine Taylor and Larranaga were absolute class in response to VCU victory. Blaine said many nice things about VCU before Selection Sunday and said that he believed they should get it. The campus is just a buzz right now. Everyone is dreaming of us possibly getting a national championship. Our players can't even walk around campus because they get ambushed everywhere. Everyone is still pretty worn out from the celebration over the weekend.

Butler wants it more. ;)

Butler wants it more. ;)

The games we played we were clearly the team that wanted it more. The opponent clearly thought they were just going to win by the name of the school alone. This game will different. Both teams really want it. I'm not sure I've ever seen a VCU team this dangerous though. I can see them winning the championship. Knock on wood.

Edit: I'll never understand how people can look at this type of scenario and say VCU earned a national championship on the court (if they win it), while any BCS national champion didn't earn it on the field. That doesn't make either illegitimate, I just don't understand the logic.

maybe because you can look at every sport and the #1 or #2 team isn't the one who wins it every year. NFL - Atlanta/New England - Didn't play in the Superbowl. MLB - TB/Philly - Didn't play in the World Series, NHL - Caps/SJ - haha, didn't play for the Stanley Cup. NBA - Cleveland/Lakers - Lakers won it all but Cleveland got owned in the playoffs. I don't think a team like VCU would ever play for a football championship over a big time program like Auburn, but then again, I didn't think JMU would beat VT either.

The FCS does a playoff, and it's awesome, why won't the FBS? Until then, college football other then my team can stick it where the sun don't shine.

@incarceratedbob

**BREAKING NEWS**Source: Calipari has given a minority owner of a NBA team access to help recruit incoming players #NCAA possible Violation

#IBN Network with help of 2 Kentucky alums has uncovered possible #NCAA Violations by John Calipari > Letting JAY-Z have access to recruits

Archived