Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

March Madness 2011 Baby!

ACW

I wasn't really caught up with the fact that they got 11 teams in. No question the Big East is a great conference and the best in the country currently. However, they were certainly over-hyped this year.

that's what espn does.

the big east is a dog fight night in and night out. here is wvu's schedule the last month + of the season. you don't get this anywhere else.

Jan 26 at Louisville

Jan 29 at Cincinnati

Feb 02 Seton Hall

Feb 05 at Villanova

Feb 07 Pitt

Feb 12 DePaul

Feb 14 at Syracuse

Feb 19 Notre Dame

Feb 24 at Pitt

Feb 27 at Rutgers

Mar 02 Connecticut

Mar 05 Louisville

Mar 08 vs. Marquette

i was being facetious. i still challenge any of you acc nut-huggers to name one team, from any conference, that deserved to be in over any of the big east teams (and please, can we be a little bit more creative than "big least?")

conference records? it's hard to have many losses when you get 3 in the tournament. lol

top to bottom, big east is the best. i've never said teams from other conferences can't compete.

Colorado. 'Nuff said.

"Big Least" perfectly describes the conference. Year after year. All that hype from Bristol, Conn. every year, and they under-achieve. But keep hugging ESPNs nuts, guys.

"Top to bottom the best"? LOL. The Big Least isn't fit to hold the ACC's or SEC's or Big10's jockstraps. As the recent tournament demonstrates. You get a record 11 teams in, you ought to perform well. The Big Least didn't.

really, the acc?

you got duke, carolina (this year at least)

florida state can play defense. wake sucks. nc state is mediocre, clemson is decent, maryland blows, miami is no good, bc is no good.

big 10 was decent this year. wvu beat their 2nd best team, and we had no true scorers. :rotflmao:

st. johns was 5th in the big east and waxed duke.

what is your point w/ colorado?

really, the acc?

you got duke, carolina (this year at least)

florida state can play defense. wake sucks. nc state is mediocre, clemson is decent, maryland blows, miami is no good, bc is no good.

big 10 was decent this year. wvu beat their 2nd best team, and we had no true scorers. :rotflmao:

st. johns was 5th in the big east and waxed duke.

what is your point w/ colorado?

On Colorado, read your own posts.

For every bad team in the ACC, the Big Least has a Seton Hall. One of the "advantages" of having a 16 team conference, to hide the schools overall mediocrity. Even in a down year for the ACC, the BL is over-hyped. This year was a classic in that regard.

On Colorado, read your own posts.

For every bad team in the ACC, the Big Least has a Seton Hall. One of the "advantages" of having a 16 team conference, to hide the schools overall mediocrity. Even in a down year for the ACC, the BL is over-hyped. This year was a classic in that regard.

ok. i'll see your seton hall and raise you a wake forest.

re: colorado: i thought maybe you'd add some logic as to why they should be in. i guess that'd be hard for a team with losses to san francisco, new mexico, iowa state, georgia and harvard (by 15).

I don't have a problem with the number of teams from the BE that made it but your arguement that if UCONN wins it shows how great the conference is is total BS. So based on your logic, the ACC was a great conference last year because Duke won the title.

No, not necessarily a "great" conference. I just find it hilarious that people act like the Big East sucks because they only have one team left. That is beyond ridiculous.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:25 PM ----------

So by your logic, if Butler wins tomorrow, the Horizon league is the best basketball conference in the country? :silly: You're "explaining" yourself into ridiculousness.

So what's to understand? The Big Least underachieves as usual. even if one of their 11 teams allowed in the tournament lucked out. A roughly one in six chance will do that for you. Again, look at the various conferences records in this tournament!

I just answered this above. No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Read above.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:27 PM ----------

i was being facetious. i still challenge any of you acc nut-huggers to name one team, from any conference, that deserved to be in over any of the big east teams (and please, can we be a little bit more creative than "big least?")

conference records? it's hard to have many losses when you get 3 in the tournament. lol

top to bottom, big east is the best. i've never said teams from other conferences can't compete.

Nor have I. I'm glad I'm not the only one in this thread that gets it. And what's funny, I'm a fan of an ACC team. So obviously I'm not even a fan of the Big East. I just get tired of the idiots that act like its not a great conference because only one team managed to get far. Just stupid.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:29 PM ----------

wasn't totally surprising to me. i expected notre dame and pittsburgh to do better, other than that, nothing really surprised me. there is a lot of parity right now, and a lot of good teams that people don't know about (myself included). but the fact is, they deserved all 11 of those bids.

had they not all been in the big east, no one would have had a problem with any of the 11 teams, because their resumes ALL justified their selection. basically, what people were saying, was that some of the teams shouldn't have gotten an invite because other teams in the big east already got in. that's stupid logic.

Another thing people are overlooking is that several of those Big East teams that lost in the tourney were taken out by...wait for it...Big East teams! I know it happened at least twice, off the top of my head.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:31 PM ----------

Colorado. 'Nuff said.

"Big Least" perfectly describes the conference. Year after year. All that hype from Bristol, Conn. every year, and they under-achieve. But keep hugging ESPNs nuts, guys.

"Top to bottom the best"? LOL. The Big Least isn't fit to hold the ACC's or SEC's or Big10's jockstraps. As the recent tournament demonstrates. You get a record 11 teams in, you ought to perform well. The Big Least didn't.

You're absolutely out of your mind if you don't think the Big East was the top conference "top to bottom" this year. Do you even watch college basketball?

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

re: colorado: i thought maybe you'd add some logic as to why they should be in. i guess that'd be hard for a team with losses to san francisco, new mexico, iowa state, georgia and harvard (by 15).

I agree with him that Colorado should have made it, but not at the expense of a Big East club. VCU is probably the team that didn't deserve to be there. Granted, they proved they were good enough. But that's not part of the equation.

Right back 'atcha with 1-17 DePaul. Still want to argue the Big Least is "top to bottom" the best conference in America?

And St. John's lost to St. Mary's and St. Bonadventers. So by that logic, they don't belong in either.

Face it, the Big Least is over-hyped because they're in the NE television market. And they all play each other late in the season, before their BL tournament, where if enough teams are ranked, it makes all of them look better than they really are.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 06:57 PM ----------

I just answered this above. No, that's not what I'm saying at all.
Not trying to nitpick, this is a good venting/trash-talking thread. :cheers: But you said:
And if a BE team wins it all it just proves how good a conference it was. Not sure how this is so hard to understand.

I replied:

So by your logic, if Butler wins tomorrow, the Horizon league is the best basketball conference in the country? :silly: You're "explaining" yourself into ridiculousness.

At least keep your story straight, man!

^^ Dude, its worthless trying to debate anything with you. FIrst of all, anyone that followed college bball this year will tell ya that the BE was the best conference in basketball this year. ESPECIALLY top to bottom. 69% of their teams made it to the tourney!!! And if you're gonna debate, don't take part of what I said and quote it to make yourself appear right. That only makes you look more foolish than you already are.

My stance all along has been that all 11 teams were deserving. They were. That's not even debatable, really. Also, because most of them didn't perform that well, doesn't mean that the conference still isn't great. That logic is flawed. Its still a great conference, and that's evident by them still having a team possibly winning the title. If what you have stated is true, they wouldn't even have a team playing for the national title on Monday, because its just an awful league.

It was still a better league than any other. If it weren't, then the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big XXII, etc would have put 69% of their teams in. You're just a hater. And remember, I'm an ACC fan saying all this. You have to give credit where its due.

^^ Dude, its worthless trying to debate anything with you. FIrst of all, anyone that followed college bball this year will tell ya that the BE was the best conference in basketball this year. ESPECIALLY top to bottom. 69% of their teams made it to the tourney!!! And if you're gonna debate, don't take part of what I said and quote it to make yourself appear right. That only makes you look more foolish than you already are.

My stance all along has been that all 11 teams were deserving. They were. That's not even debatable, really. Also, because most of them didn't perform that well, doesn't mean that the conference still isn't great. That logic is flawed. Its still a great conference, and that's evident by them still having a team possibly winning the title. If what you have stated is true, they wouldn't even have a team playing for the national title on Monday, because its just an awful league.

It was still a better league than any other. If it weren't, then the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, Big XXII, etc would have put 69% of their teams in. You're just a hater. And remember, I'm an ACC fan saying all this. You have to give credit where its due.

It appears your premise that the Big Least was the best conference, because 69% of their teams made the Big Dance. That's the premise of my argument that the Big Least is over-rated. I provided you a link on the BL's performance. It wasn't horrible, just pretty bad for a conference that was supposed to be the best this year, so good that over half of them were invited.

And the argument about the finals is nonsensical. So the Horizon League is as good as the BL, ACC, SEC, Big10, etc.? Would UNC, or Duke, winning the final mean that the ACC wasn't bad this year?

The Big Least having so many teams playing themselves, means that mediocre teams can look good, as long as the better teams win their out-of-conference games. That's what happened this year.

There may be another phenomena at work here. When you have 16 teams in your conference, on average you should have a few really good teams, (hitting their stride, lots of upperclassmen, etc.). The Big Least SHOULD be putting more teams in, and winning more championships than anybody. Simply because they have 16 teams, as opposed to the 10-12 team conferences now. Hell, I remember the ACC having only 8 while the Big Least was in business. So what's happened to the BL? I read about ACC fans complaining that level of play has been "diluted" since going to 12 teams. I really don't understand that argument, but is something like that going on with the Big Least?

---------- Post added April-3rd-2011 at 09:26 PM ----------

georgia tech
University of South Florida. For laymen, yes they are part of the "best top to bottom" Big Least.

Nothing against USF, just pointing out the "who?" factor, in addition to their bad season this year.

nc state, though i'm done. hard to argue with a 3rd grade mentality. "BIG LEAST hahahaha BIG LEAST"
The mighty Providence Friars, of the "best top to bottom" Big Least. It's funny because it's true. And nobody held a gun to the conference's head to admit so many teams, right?

Hey, nothing personal. We're all Skins fans, right? :cheers:

nc state, though i'm done. hard to argue with a 3rd grade mentality. "BIG LEAST hahahaha BIG LEAST"

Yeah, when you come with "Big Least" you have about as much credibility as Charles Barkley, covering the NCAA.

And I had a well-thought out reply to Hail's last post, but the way the board is set up it timed me out. Thus erasing everything I had written. Probably the biggest thing I hate about this board. Ugh.

Yeah, when you come with "Big Least" you have about as much credibility as Charles Barkley, covering the NCAA.

And I had a well-thought out reply to Hail's last post, but the way the board is set up it timed me out. Thus erasing everything I had written. Probably the biggest thing I hate about this board. Ugh.

Hey, Baldy nailed the Duke/Arizona game result. And was close on the VCU/Butler game. He's been one of the better analysts they've had this tournament.

I agree the board has been "turrible", just "turrible" with the double-posting and such.

Hey, Baldy nailed the Duke/Arizona game result. And was close on the VCU/Butler game. He's been one of the better analysts they've had this tournament.

I agree the board has been "turrible", just "turrible" with the double-posting and such.

C'mon man, I like Barkley, but he's AWFUL with the college game. I literally can't listen to the guy. I can't take anyone seriously that has probably never watched any of the guys play that he's talking about. He should stick to the NBA show on TNT; which he is great.

I love the board, but man, it can be so aggravating. First you can't spend more than a few minutes writing something, without it signing you off. Then it tells you to refresh the page and try again. Well when you do, it erases everything you wrote. Ugh. I think if I had signed back in first it would have worked. At least it has a few times in the past. Oh well.

C'mon man, I like Barkley, but he's AWFUL with the college game. I literally can't listen to the guy. I can't take anyone seriously that has probably never watched any of the guys play that he's talking about. He should stick to the NBA show on TNT; which he is great.

I love the board, but man, it can be so aggravating. First you can't spend more than a few minutes writing something, without it signing you off. Then it tells you to refresh the page and try again. Well when you do, it erases everything you wrote. Ugh. I think if I had signed back in first it would have worked. At least it has a few times in the past. Oh well.

I've tried to ignore the commentary, but Sir Charles talking about the Duke/Zona and VCU/BU games stood out, to me.

And I've already gotten into the habit of saving my entire response text to a notepad file, every paragraph or so, just in case I accidentally close the browser tab I'm in, which I do too often anyways. Avoids the erasing problem going on now.

UConn's women's basketball team is about to lose. Anytime a jerk like Auriemma loses, the college basketball world celebrates.

Hate that dude.

There'll be a new women's basketball champion.

And that's probably all I'll talk about women's basketball for the rest of the year lol

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 12:02 AM ----------

In other news

Frank Haith is an anagram for "worse hire than Quin Snyder." Well, it should be.

Basically Mizzou replaced Mike Anderson with Frank Haith. I'm kind of conflicted with whether this is a good hire or not. It's not like Miami has been any good the last few years. They made the NCAA tournament once, but it's Miami. Missouri is a better program with better facilities and a better fanbase though. I will be interested to see how this hire ends up.

Frank Haith? lmao...He hasn't done anything to warrant getting a job like that. Not that Missouri is a great job, but its at least a lateral move, probably a slight step up even. Horrible hire. For the life of me, I don't know why you'd hire a re-tread loser like that when you could probably hire an up and coming young coach for the cheap. I don't understand these moves at all.

---------- Post added April-4th-2011 at 12:12 AM ----------

Btw, I agree with you about Geno. Granted, I don't watch womens bball. I can think of fewer things that are more lame than that. But everytime I see that guy being interviewed he just comes across as a smug prick. I think he even had some sort of run-in with an opposing player once.

I'm almost positive that Gordon Hayward went pro after last season not because of the money, but because he assumed taking Butler to within a shot of a national title was as close to "going out on top" as he would get. This year's Butler team with Hayward would be favorites over UConn, easily.

Archived