Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Cerato on 106.7 The FAN

More Complete

Wow, one of the callers just called in blaming him for the demise of the organization. Another one said they'd draft Netwon becuase Vinny said he wouldn't. you want a recap of the last decade, this might be the most entertaining interview I've ever heard, he gets into Marty, Spurrier, everything. To me he sounds every bit as defensive and a backstabber as I suspected he is. And am not one of the bigger Vinny haters on the board, I thought at least when it came to the draft, he was mediocre as opposed to terrible, I'll take it a peg lower than mediocre now watching how the 2008 draft has panned out.

And for the whole Gibbs was fantastic drill song he's singing -- keep in mind, Gibbs actually seemed to be one of Vinny's bigger fans, I know some on this board prefer to think it was otherwise but I recall Gibbs flat out effusively praised Vinny in a couple of radio shows I listened to when he was a coach, and I recall reading that he was part of the movement to make Vinny GM when he left. So it doesn't surprise me that Vinny wants to share the love back. And again i mean none of that as disrespect to Gibbs, he's my hero when it comes to football in the 80s.

Edit: I bet this will be on 106.7 archives, definitely worth a listen

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 01:05 PM ----------

If Schwartz or Spags weren't good options because they weren't ready, how the hell do you conclude that Zorn was ready? The best you can say assuming this statement is valid is that Zorn was a pawn that Vinny planned to sacrifice.

Exactly. his comments don't add up. I know people like this at work. Nothing is their fault. they are generally insecure, and tough to work with. It's about covering back above success.

I guess the guy doesn't want to admit that Gregg Williams was right there, and on our own team. 100% available. Problem with him was, the same thing he claims ended up being Zorn's problem. Hell, Saunders was here too. Bugel was here too. All former head coaches.

What head coach should have to run his team the way an idiot who has never coached any position on any team and had never played on one either wants?

We all knew he was a joke all along and this just proves it even more than the results already have. If you were so bright and knew that Zorn and Spurrier weren't head coaching material and you had to hold their hands, then why the **** would you hire them when it's clear that you have no clue either? It boggles the mind.

Williams might have been mediocre but good enough to keep the Snyderatto in place. Win like 7-9 games, just enough of a tease but not good (not bad enough to get good picks and possibly keep that "one player away" attitude going). Zorn's teams at least sucked enough to get the whole thing torn down (after his first 8). Also, Zorn was not a guy even remotely protected by rep, so he get fired for his suckitude and hopefully pulled down Snyderatto down with him. Williams rep might have got him (and Snyderatto) another year after a suckitudiness one like 2009.

If Schwartz or Spags weren't good options because they weren't ready, how the hell do you conclude that Zorn was ready? .

He meant they weren't ready to take over a team that had already hired their offensive and defensive coordinators.

Williams might have been mediocre but good enough to keep the Snyderatto in place. Win like 7-9 games, just enough of a tease but not good (not bad enough to get good picks and possibly keep that "one player away" attitude going). Zorn's teams at least sucked enough to get the whole thing torn down (after his first 8). Also, Zorn was not a guy even remotely protected by rep, so he get fired for his suckitude and hopefully pulled down Snyderatto down with him. Williams rep might have got him (and Snyderatto) another year after a suckitudiness one like 2009.

Just now he defended the Jason Taylor trade saying if we only knew what a shot in the arm it was to the Redskins morale. As for the Zorn point, he is so relentless on it -- the fact that he doesn't take the blame for it to me speaks volumes. I don't know too many people that are successful that explain away their mistakes as opposed to own up and learn from them. But yeah Cerrato pretty has outright said, he wasn't the problem, he was good, but was undermined by bad coaching.

Even for Vinny, this stuff is hilarious.

Anyone else remember him saying "I should be judged by the Zorn hire."

Now he's spinning it left and right.

And the Gibbs calling plays nonsense... I mean, I love Joe but the offense never looked great with him in charge the second time around. It was old school to a fault. We went to the playoffs in 2005 with a passing game averaging like 90 yards a game.

Thank God Shanahan kicked this fool to the curb.

Unfortunately I'm not sure anyone could clean up the mess he left behind.

I'll give you that we only averaged ~200 yards per game through the air that year, but that was the year Moss set the franchise record for receiving yards. While the offense did not move the ball that much through the air, our passing game had a lot of big plays that year, especially when we needed them. On top of that, we didn't need to constantly pass the ball with the way Portis was running - again, setting a franchise record. Despite Brunell only throwing for just over 3,000 yards that year, he had 23 TD's which is more productive than anything we've had since. Just because we beat Tampa in the playoff game with the least passing yards in a winning postseason game ever, don't discredit that the offense was pretty damn good that year, or at least somewhat exciting to watch.

That being said, I will agree that as a younger fan I felt whatever prolific offense Gibbs was known for back in the day, he seemed a little behind the times his second time around and I felt the offense needed a new playcaller...

Hey, stop insulting Frank Burns. Frank walked alone, well with his woman. Vinnie would be more of a Col. Blake, who was a moron who took orders from lesser ranked people.

In Henry's defense at least the people he listened to had a clue (Hawkeye, Trapper & Radar)...Frank absolutely NO clue!

Back on topic: I'll never forget one of the happiest days on this board the day it was announced Vinny had "resigned"...my reaction to that was a lot like this:

Macleod01.jpg

CJ tried to get Vinny to admit the 08' draft was a failure. Vinny countered with "Fred Davis is a good player". So you hit on one player who won the best TE in the NCAA award, while completely whiffing on 2 other players. Fred Davis has not done enough to be used as ammunition in defending that abysmal draft class.

He also tried to claim that character is the "# 1" thing he looks for in a player. Hmmm...

-B. Lloyd

-Haynesworth

-Jeff George

He just sounds like a used car salesman who sold you a lemon, and is trying to squirm his way out of taking the blame.

takes some blame for letting Pierce and Clark go, defended Duckett trade said they needed a running back at the time. Defends the trade picks approach. He said bottom line its all about not having a franchise QB.

edit: Vinny seems annoyed at the tough questions, though he's trying to make it a joke

takes some blame for letting Pierce and Clark go, defended Duckett trade said they needed a running back at the time. Defends the trade picks approach. He said bottom line its all about not having a franchise QB.

edit: Vinny seems annoyed at the tough questions, though he's trying to make it a joke

I loved him defending the Duckett thing but when the guy suggested to draft Ray Rice instead of Davis he says we already had Portis... Riiiiiggghhhttt. :doh:

I will never forget that draft day for as long as i live.

I loved him defending the Duckett thing but when the guy suggested to draft Ray Rice instead of Davis he says we already had Portis... Riiiiiggghhhttt. :doh:

I will never forget that draft day for as long as i live.

yeah, also considering he defended taking all the receivers in 2008 because you take the best player available regardless of position and then he chides the interviewer for not going along with the BPA approach. Well, ok, wouldn't that imply that to Vinny Rice wasn't the BPA to him?

And the Gibbs calling plays nonsense... I mean, I love Joe but the offense never looked great with him in charge the second time around. It was old school to a fault. We went to the playoffs in 2005 with a passing game averaging like 90 yards a game.

Actually, the 2005 offense was the best we've seen this century. Significantly in terms of points scored where it is the only one to be above average. In terms of yards, it was significantly better than average.

That's right Vinny it's everyone else who did you in. Must be the reason why when Bill Walsh came back to the 49ers one of the fist things he did was fire you! (You basically got the Super Bowl ring being a glorified "go-fer") When Marty was hired and you said that you knew him...Marty not only fired you within 3 weeks but when he was told you said that the 2 of you were friends his reaction was a basic denial. He said, "We've met only once."

Remember when you are in a group setting and you are looking for the ******* in the group and you can't find them...that's because it's you!

- Zorns biggest problem is that he would not listen (to him or Dan I’m not sure, he didn’t specify)

I wonder why he wouldn't listen to Vinny Cerrato. Maybe because he wasn't delusional?

---------- Post added March-8th-2011 at 01:48 PM ----------

Actually, the 2005 offense was the best we've seen this century. Significantly in terms of points scored where it is the only one to be above average. In terms of yards, it was significantly better than average.

That's not saying much. The average was so low there was nowhere to go but up.

That's not saying much. The average was so low there was nowhere to go but up.

Ummm, there was over 16 teams in the league who were worse than us on the offensive side.

Not sure how the average was "so low" that we could only go up. I am very confused by that statement.

Vinny needs to stop saying character is the first thing he looks at.

1) You have to have character to be able to judge it. Vinny you have none and throwing Zorn and everyone else under the bus shows that.

2) You are repeating what Gibbs always preached, hoping that people will like you. NO ONE LIKES YOU!

3) Look at all the years you picked the players when Gibbs was not here. Now show me which ones have character.

Vinny, please go away. You give me nightmares.

Archived