Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was Jesus fathered by a Roman soldier?

I think this is a misconception held of most atheists. Every atheist I know rejects the concept of faith.

yep... every athiest you know does so, on a leap of faith.

some agnostics have truly rejected faith (but not most) but ZERO athiests can truthfully make that statement. and frankly, many athiests fall into the most dogmatic grouping when it comes to defending their faith

Why couldnt the child be conceived through divine intervention? God chose the soldier to father the Chosen One? He could still technically be called the Son of God

Because it was to be a virgin birth.

Isaiah 7;14 "14Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel."

It makes me think of all the stories of Greek mythology where Zeus would disguise himself as a mortal and seduce or rape a beauty.

This Roman soldier theory is unprovable for many reasons. It could be true and Mary's pregnancy could have any other explanations, but depending on if you want to take a Helenistic view of it... it could be that whoever put Mary with child was acting as God's vessel and like Zeus, the mortal was only God in disguise. I don't know if that thought is repulsive to Christians or romantic?

Well, maybe the name fits...

The meaning of his name Abdes is still disputed, although it is clearly related to the Aramaic `ebed, or "servant": some scholars believe that it means "servant of Isis", while James Tabor claims it means "servant of God"

I think this is a misconception held of most atheists. Every atheist I know rejects the concept of faith.

It takes a lot of faith to decide that something most everyone on earth believes (in one form or another) is false.

Especially when most of us face the continual attempts to convince us that we'll go to hell, to ignore the frightening aspect of that and still believe it's false requires a LOT of faith.

If you're wrong on your ideas,, you'll never know it.

If I'm wrong, I've got an eternity of suffering to face.

~Bang

I think this scenario is far more likely than a deity inseminating a human. I'd imagine one would stay quiet back in those times should someone have gotten raped. Of course, this throws the foundations of Christianity and Islam out the window (Muslims believe Jesus was of virgin birth too). I've always thought "faith" is a bad argument in choosing what to believe. I could have all the faith in the world that Mila Kunis will become my main squeeze....but that is not happening. Faith seems like an easy cop out answer to me, but I'm sure some would find it more difficult not to believe. I guess it is based on we are genetically prone to rationalize things.

It takes a lot of faith to decide that something most everyone on earth believes (in one form or another) is false.

Especially when most of us face the continual attempts to convince us that we'll go to hell, to ignore the frightening aspect of that and still believe it's false requires a LOT of faith.

If you're wrong on your ideas,, you'll never know it.

If I'm wrong, I've got an eternity of suffering to face.

~Bang

Luckily for me I use evidence, NOT faith. There's an abundance of evidence suggesting that life occurred on Earth without the intervention of a deity that wants me to suffer. It would be on faith that I would accept such a deity.

EDIT: Also I'm just curious about this. Why do you think it takes faith to come to a different conclusion than the majority? Especially when on average, your normal atheist knows more about religion than your normal theist.

yep... every athiest you know does so, on a leap of faith.

some agnostics have truly rejected faith (but not most) but ZERO athiests can truthfully make that statement. and frankly, many athiests fall into the most dogmatic grouping when it comes to defending their faith

Most people use the word atheist but mean agnostic. I accept there is a probabilistic chance that some god may exist, but in this sense I'm as agnostic about god as I am fairies and Santa.

Luckily for me I use evidence, NOT faith. There's an abundance of evidence suggesting that life occurred on Earth without the intervention of a deity that wants me to suffer. It would be on faith that I would accept such a deity.

EDIT: Also I'm just curious about this. Why do you think it takes faith to come to a different conclusion than the majority? Especially when on average, your normal atheist knows more about religion than your normal theist.

Most people use the word atheist but mean agnostic. I accept there is a probabilistic chance that some god may exist, but in this sense I'm as agnostic about god as I am fairies and Santa.

AND... you are an arrogant dogmatic preacher for your faith. It is abundantly clear that you have put forth a much more reasoned and logical analysis than the poor fools that choose to believe in fairy tales and wizzards. corgratualtions.

AND... you are an arrogant dogmatic preacher for your faith. It is abundantly clear that you have put forth a much more reasoned and logical analysis than the poor fools that choose to believe in fairy tales and wizzards. corgratualtions.

But it is all grounded in fact. He knows for a fact there is no God, Heaven or afterlife. :gap:

I'm not trying to demean anyone's faith, only show how I feel about agnosticism and atheism. It's just how I think, I can't make god anymore real to me than someone else could a fictional character which is what I was trying to say.

I still reject the idea that I have used faith anywhere along the lines of what I think.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 01:28 PM ----------

But it is all grounded in fact. He knows for a fact there is no God, Heaven or afterlife. :gap:

Yes, because I said that...

I'm not trying to demean anyone's faith, only show how I feel about agnosticism and atheism. It's just how I think, I can't make god anymore real to me than someone else could a fictional character which is what I was trying to say.

I still reject the idea that I have used faith anywhere along the lines of what I think

baloney. You have complete and absolute faith that "science" will explain all of the mysteries of the universe (hell... your post seems to even imply that you think the job is already basically done), and that there is nothing that is beyond human understanding or comrehention. That is effin HUGE leap of faith, which is fine, people believe what they believe... it is just that you share the fundemental characteristic of most dogmatic athiests in refusing to acknowledge that leap of faith.

I find athiests to be just as dogmatic as door-to-door Jehovah's wittnesses, but they add an extra level of hypocracy by always denying that faith and dogmatism.

baloney. You have complete and absolute faith that "science" will explain all of the mysteries of the universe (hell... your post seems to even imply that you think the job is already basically done), and that there is nothing that is beyond human understanding or comrehention. That is effin HUGE leap of faith, which is fine, people believe what they believe... it is just that you share the fundemental characteristic of most dogmatic athiests in refusing to acknowledge that leap of faith.

I find athiests to be just as dogmatic as door-to-door Jehovah's wittnesses, but they add an extra level of hypocracy by always denying that faith and dogmatism.

Actually atheists are about the only people who will say "I don't know" and not attribute it to something unfounded. Probably the least dogmatic opinion you could have of the universe. I don't know what posts of mine you have been reading where I said science will figure out everything, there's nothing beyond our comprehension, or that we already have found out everything. The entire basis of science is that there is more to learn, and that we can never be sure of anything.

EDIT: This is getting really of topic so maybe we should stop :)

Coming to a conclusion doesn't require faith... sticking to it while the majority tries to convince me otherwise requires faith in the conclusion that I made is correct.

~Bang

Coming to a conclusion doesn't require faith... sticking to it while the majority tries to convince me otherwise requires faith in the conclusion that I made is correct.

~Bang

Agree to disagree. My point is that it doesn't take faith to not believe in something which doesn't have any evidence supporting it.

Agree to disagree. My point is that it doesn't take faith to not believe in something which doesn't have any evidence supporting it.

Perhaps it requires faith in nothing? (Wanna put my tender heart in a blender watch it spin around to a beautiful oblivion...) :)

Archived