Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top Ten "What if?" players

Vilandil Tasardur

I feel what happened to Sean Taylor is the biggest what if history changer of a football team ever. If this did not happen we would have made a deep playoff run that year, Joe Gibbs would have stayed at least another year, Greg Williams would have taken over and by now we would have been a perenial playoff team with a dominating defense. There would have been no Zornisms, Bingo callers or Haynesworth.

I don't know think all of your stuff is true in your statement in particular they would have gone deep into the playoffs. They had to win last 4 games in a row to even make the playoffs....and the team used Taylor's death as an inspiration....remember he had a bad knee injury and they weren't even sure if he was to return that year or if he did when. So I do agree with you about one of the biggest what if stories ever, but not about the playoff scenario

---------- Post added February-23rd-2011 at 11:48 AM ----------

What movie was about Davis?

The Express... I believe

Sean Taylor makes this list. He would have been scary good and redefined the safety position in the NFL with his incredible combination of size, speed, and hitting ability. We saw glimpses of his raw talent. We also saw just the beginnings of his maturation as football player and as a person.

Maybe not a what if, but I remember when Vernon Davis was coming out of college everybody was going crazy. He was going to revolutionize the TE position, I read that statement many times.

I'm not sure he's revolutionized anything but he's a top 5 TE. I might rank him #1 if I could see him with a stable QB.

What if LT wasn't addicted to cocaine when he played? Could he really have been better?

Make no bones about it, cocaine is a PED. It's a helluva drug. Without it, he's Joe Salave'a.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2011 at 10:11 PM ----------

What if we didn't fire Shottenheimer...?

We might have actually won something, and Snyder might actually have an approval rating > .02.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2011 at 10:14 PM ----------

Sonny Jurgesen.

-What if he had a good defense to back him up throughout his time here?

-What if George Allen let him play the way he wanted to play?

-What if he wasn't injured in 1972?

Without a doubt, it would have rained Lombardi's on D.C.

Davis certainly belongs. I caught the back end of that movie and balled like a girl when he tells his girl she needs to take the job in Oakland. I've never heard of Greg Cook though. Any insight?

Greg Cook was the Bengals QB in 1969 who still holds the record for YPC for a rookie (17.5). When he tore up his shoulder before the 1970 season, Walsh had to redesign the offense from its original form (very similar to what became known as the Coryell offense since it is part of what informed that offense) to the proto-WCO.

Bo Jackson stands out big time. He was bigger, stronger, and faster than most LBs even in today's game. He also put up a 4.12 40 time athe NFL combine.

As a part-time football player he averaged 6.8 yards/carry one season and 5.4 in his career. What could he have been if he played football full time and didn't get hurt.

I feel what happened to Sean Taylor is the biggest what if history changer of a football team ever. If this did not happen we would have made a deep playoff run that year, Joe Gibbs would have stayed at least another year, Greg Williams would have taken over and by now we would have been a perenial playoff team with a dominating defense. There would have been no Zornisms, Bingo callers or Haynesworth.

If the Taylor tragedy had not occurred, we'd at best only be better on defense. We still would have been no better than a WC in 2007 at best and maybe pulled of a 2005 type season. Our biggest issue since 2000 has been lack of offense. Our defense has only sucked three times in those years while our offense has not sucked just 3 times in the same period. While we've fielded 2-3 good defenses during the period (including 2 great ones), our best offense was only just above average.

The biggest changer in Redskins football history was the unexpected death of Lombardi. Had he not died, he might have been able to make the Redskins a new Green Bay. Even if he didn't, you got to think that, unless he chose to step down, he'd have coached us until after 1971. If we get no George Allen, would we have had Theismann, Riggins, Butz, Pettibon, Starke and Mosely (to name a few). With Lombardi, would we have treasured our draft picks so that guys like Warren and Coleman not been needed? In 1980, would we have had already had a blue-chip WR, so we take someone else with our pick instead of Monk? After having seen success with Lombardi, would JKC have stepped forward? Would Beathard been hired? If no Beathard, what about Gibbs? What about the Hogs?

Greg Cook was the Bengals QB in 1969 who still holds the record for YPC for a rookie (17.5). When he tore up his shoulder before the 1970 season, Walsh had to redesign the offense from its original form (very similar to what became known as the Coryell offense since it is part of what informed that offense) to the proto-WCO.
Oh neat. That's sort of how I feel about CHad Pennington. He never had the strongest arm, but the crazy shoulder injuries sure didn't help. The did nothing but win on the field, he could have been something if he'd have stayed healthy. Sadly, I feel like Stafford may be going down the same road.

The biggest changer in Redskins football history was the unexpected death of Lombardi. Had he not died, he might have been able to make the Redskins a new Green Bay. Even if he didn't, you got to think that, unless he chose to step down, he'd have coached us until after 1971. If we get no George Allen, would we have had Theismann, Riggins, Butz, Pettibon, Starke and Mosely (to name a few). With Lombardi, would we have treasured our draft picks so that guys like Warren and Coleman not been needed? In 1980, would we have had already had a blue-chip WR, so we take someone else with our pick instead of Monk? After having seen success with Lombardi, would JKC have stepped forward? Would Beathard been hired? If no Beathard, what about Gibbs? What about the Hogs?

Way too heavy for me. This seems like more of a :wtf: than a What if?

I forgot about Lombardi.

What if he didn't get cancer, or what if he actually went and treated it? (from what I understand, he neglected the pains in his stomach and they detected the cancer too late to save him).

You know what would have been a great coaching staff? Lombardi heading up the offense (and head coaching) with George Allen as defensive coordinator. If the old man lived throughout the 1970s and kept coaching, we would have been the team of the decade. No doubt.

I forgot about Lombardi.

What if he didn't get cancer, or what if he actually went and treated it? (from what I understand, he neglected the pains in his stomach and they detected the cancer too late to save him).

You know what would have been a great coaching staff? Lombardi heading up the offense (and head coaching) with George Allen as defensive coordinator. If the old man lived throughout the 1970s and kept coaching, we would have been the team of the decade. No doubt.

I've heard an interview where Sonny Jurgensen says of Lombardi "Finally, we had a COACH." The franchise was a disorganized mess when Lombardi arrived. His first year here he broke a string of 14 losing Redskins seasons in a row.

This is different from one I heard, but it gets at what an impact Lombardi had in his short time here, as told by Huff and Jurgy:

syM02zWheZw

While I wasn't alive when it happened, it's one of those things that (as a fan) keeps me up at night. Wouldn't it have been nice to be a truly dominate team for two decades instead of just one? It seemed like we had a lot of the right pieces...but we just couldn't get it done in the post-season.

To think of Lombardi had lived, and with the freedom he gave Jurgensen AND as we were building a great defense...what could have been?

Something about "the Train" or something....hmmm

The_Express_poster.jpg

He was one I immediately thought about. Here are a few current ones:

- Sean Taylor (Like beating the deadhorse, I know): What if those punks don't bring a gun to his house?

- Michael Vick: What if he actually focused on the cerebral part of the game from the moment he was drafted, and didn't get involved in dog fighting?

- Albert Hanyesworth: What if he actually cared about working hard and was more of a blue collar guy?

- Devin Thomas: What if he actually put in the real hard work to learn how to properly run routes, and gave it his all 100% of the time?

- Clinton Portis: What if he never left Denver?

Definitely Clinton Portis. Two different philosophies and I accepted that with Gibbs, but if CP stayed in Denver.........yikes. I'm not so much looking at the total yards, I'm looking at the number of carries and avg. He would easily be going into the HOF, possibly took a ring, and his body would be in much younger physical condition than it turned into. Shame....I am by no means a Portis lover but it's a shame he was turned into what he was.

Archived