Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top Ten "What if?" players

Vilandil Tasardur

How good was Ki Jana Carter? Serious question. I was too young to really know the scouting report on him. Legit #1 or just another Cincy reach?

Nobody? Dude was the #1 overall pick in the draft, blew out his knee in the first preseason game of his career and never recovered. I've always wondered what if that hadn't of happened. How talented was he and how good could he have been?

What if Dan Marino falls one more spot in the 83 draft?

-the Skins win at least one more Super Bowl under Gibbs

What if John Riggins' fumble late in SB17 had been ruled properly?

-Riggins is not in the HOF

What if Kelvin Bryant were not injury prone?

-He'd be considered one of the best in team history

What if Charlie Brown doesn't get hurt in 1984?

-no Gary Clark

What if Joe Jacoby sat out game two vs the Giants in 1986 instead of play and get shredded?

-Jacoby is in the HOF

What if Champ Bailey didn't cheat on his wife?

-the Redskins would be seeking their first playoff appearance since 1999

What if "God"(more money) told Reggie White to come to DC and not Green Bay?

-the Skins still would have faded but there would be no Green Bay run in the 90s. Reggie White's signing is what transformed the perception of GB from Siberia to a legit free agent destination

What if Gus Frerotte doesn't bang his head and a week later break his hip in 97?

-Skins win the NFC East (Jeff Hostetler, clearly a Giants double agent, personally handed the Giants the division with two horrid performances against his former team)

What if the Skins never left RFK?

Nothing. The team would be just as bad all this time.

A couple:

What if Gibbs didn't retire after the '92 season and had stayed on, say, five more years, with Casserly as the GM? How do you think the Skins would've done? --OR--

Dan Snyder buys the team in '99 and successfully convinces Gibbs to step in as coach. How would things have changed with a Gibbs in his late-50s versus the one that came in that was almost 64?

Some people mentioned Bo Jackson but someone similar was Billy Sims. Won the Heisman, was the #1 overall pick, 3 time Pro Bowler in his first 3 years in the league and if it wasn't for injuries Barry Sanders never would have wore #20 and probably wouldn't have even been drafted by the Lions.

Or how about Don Majkowski the one year wonder? If he'd been what the Packers fans thought he was then how long would Brett Favre been a backup QB for the Falcons or some other team? Or if Chris Miller hadn't have come out and had a great year in 91 then the Falcons likely would have went with Favre and not traded him and who knows what kind of career he'd have had with the Falcons. Could have been just like most other 2nd round QB's, a bust.

Some people mentioned Bo Jackson but someone similar was Billy Sims. Won the Heisman, was the #1 overall pick, 3 time Pro Bowler in his first 3 years in the league and if it wasn't for injuries Barry Sanders never would have wore #20 and probably wouldn't have even been drafted by the Lions.

Or how about Don Majkowski the one year wonder? If he'd been what the Packers fans thought he was then how long would Brett Favre been a backup QB for the Falcons or some other team? Or if Chris Miller hadn't have come out and had a great year in 91 then the Falcons likely would have went with Favre and not traded him and who knows what kind of career he'd have had with the Falcons. Could have been just like most other 2nd round QB's, a bust.

The Favre part is so crazy. So many HOF QBs have situations like that. Who would Joe Montana be without Bill Walsh? I always love Montana, and think he's top 3 GOAT, but I think he was very much a system QB. I'm not sure he had the arm strength to thrive outside the WCO.

What is Steve Young didn't learn from Joe and Walsh? Would he have been anything over in Tampa?

Obviously there is the Bledsoe hit making way for Brady.

Some people mentioned Bo Jackson but someone similar was Billy Sims. Won the Heisman, was the #1 overall pick, 3 time Pro Bowler in his first 3 years in the league and if it wasn't for injuries Barry Sanders never would have wore #20 and probably wouldn't have even been drafted by the Lions..

If Barry Sanders hadn't been drafted by the Lions he would have even better stats, and not retiring early could've hit 20,000 yards.

What if Dan Marino falls one more spot in the 83 draft?

-the Skins win at least one more Super Bowl under Gibbs

Um... We don't win the Chicago playoff game without Darrell Green's Punt Return...

I don't think that Dan Marino is worth 1 more SB than Darrell Green+Theisman+Williams+Schroder+Rypien was...

Theismann - what if they never call that flea flicker? our history is alot different

You mean the play he got demolished by LT and never played again? I don't see how that changes things much. Theismann was about done and wasn't playing well anyway that year. Actually we probably don't win the 87 SB without that happening, we never trade Schroeder for Lachey either.

Nobody? Dude was the #1 overall pick in the draft, blew out his knee in the first preseason game of his career and never recovered. I've always wondered what if that hadn't of happened. How talented was he and how good could he have been?

I remember he was impressive at Penn State, and looking up his numbers he did have a monster final year - 1500+ yards, 23 TDs, and a whopping 7.8 yards per carry average. He was a number one pick, but my recollection was that because a couple of his immediate predecessors at running back at Penn State (D. J. Dozier and Blair Thomas) underperformed as pros, expectations weren't all that high as some wondered if he would live up to first pick promise. He didn't, but obviously it was because of injuries and no fault of his own. He was with the Skins for one season - 308 yards, 3 TDs, 4.9 avg in part time duty.

What if Robert Edwards didn't blow out his leg in a beach football game in Waikiki at the pro-bowl...as a rookie?

That's a sad one. I'll never forget the video of it; sitting on the beach, grasping his knee and almost crying.

I remember he was impressive at Penn State, and looking up his numbers he did have a monster final year - 1500+ yards, 23 TDs, and a whopping 7.8 yards per carry average. He was a number one pick, but my recollection was that because a couple of his immediate predecessors at running back at Penn State (D. J. Dozier and Blair Thomas) underperformed as pros, expectations weren't all that high as some wondered if he would live up to first pick promise. He didn't, but obviously it was because of injuries and no fault of his own. He was with the Skins for one season - 308 yards, 3 TDs, 4.9 avg in part time duty.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Crazy how Penn State RB's have such a bad history. Curtis Enis was another one. I think Larry Johnson is really the only Penn State RB to ever do anything in the pros since Franco Harris.

EDIT: Sam Gash--more FB than RB--and Gary Brown had decent careers I guess.

That's a sad one. I'll never forget the video of it; sitting on the beach, grasping his knee and almost crying.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Crazy how Penn State RB's have such a bad history. Curtis Enis was another one. I think Larry Johnson is really the only Penn State RB to ever do anything in the pros since Franco Harris.

EDIT: Sam Gash--more FB than RB--and Gary Brown had decent careers I guess.

Of the Penn State running backs after Franco, Curt Warner had a decent career with the Seahawks - 3 time Pro Bowler, and John Cappelletti lasted 10 years in the NFL, though not as a feature back. Going back before Franco - HoF'er Lenny Moore made 7 Pro Bowls in 12 years for the Colts in the 50s and 60s and in the 70s Lydell Mitchell was made 3 Pro Bowls playing for the Colts. But yeah, other than Warner and Cappy, not much there post-Franco at RB.

BTW, Lydell Mitchell makes the All-Time Afro team:

MIT448960.jpg

I like how it leans slightly to his left.

Chad Pennington is the most accurate quarterback in NFL history, lead his teams to the playoffs everytime he started more than ten games, and helped accomplish the biggest turnaround season in NFL history. I wonder what he might have accomplished if he could stay healthy.

Speaking of porcelain passers, Matt Stafford might be a top what if player in the last few years, but he could still show us what he's got.

Archived