Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top Ten "What if?" players

Vilandil Tasardur

My list of top 5 what if players in order. I only listed players that actually played when I was around to see them and hear the hype.

5. The Boz; I think if he had focused more on football, and less on being a celebrity, he would have been a HOF caliber player. He definitely had the talent, and he definitely had the build for it. The only thing he lacked was the commitment.

4. Heath Shuler: This, as you can guess, is based 100% on the hype and his level of play at Tennessee. What if he carried that talent over to the NFL? We would have had a franchise QB and probably a Lombardi or two.

3. Bo Jackson: Injuries cursed him. We all remember the Bo knows commercials. He could have done amazing things. Too bad his knees and hips didn't get the memo.

2. Terell Davis: He just wasn't around long enough, and it's a shame his body gave out so fast. This guy was phenomenal to anyone that ever got to see him play. He was like a combination of Barry Sanders and John Riggins.

1. Barry Sanders: Obviously, he lived up to the hype, and did everything a player can do, short of winning the Super Bowl. But his abrupt retirement in his prime kept him from setting untouchable records. What if the Lions gave him his trade?

Um... We don't win the Chicago playoff game without Darrell Green's Punt Return...

I don't think that Dan Marino is worth 1 more SB than Darrell Green+Theisman+Williams+Schroder+Rypien was...

I do.

---------- Post added March-28th-2011 at 04:49 AM ----------

What if Steve Emtman's career wasn't derailed by various injuries?

Jeff George leaps to mind. This is a guy with a million dollar arm but a 5 cent attitude. With the right coach, or the right scheme -- maybe he could have turned it around.

Derrick Thomas was a great player in his own right, but his career did get cut short before he could set records for sack totals that would be hard to beat. Even at 33, he wasn't showing signs of slowing down.

Barry Sanders -- if Green Bay hadn't have gone for Tony Mandarich, he might have been a Packer, who'd wind up the backfield with Favre by '92. The way the Packers kept getting better under Ron Wolf and Holmgren-- I suspect Sanders wouldn't have been so eager to retire.

Sean Taylor -- it's already been said, but he was really blossoming before his unfortunate demise.

That's it for now. Good thread, OP!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to think Bo Jackson. I mean he was a baseball player and said he football was just a hobby for him. He took baseball more seriously. So if we are talking about "what if" then he has to be in the top 5 for sure with a few "what ifs."

What if he put 100% into football?

What if he didn't destroy his hip socket?

Talk about numbers, this guys was a hand full to bring down. He usually never went down on the first hit much less with only one tackler. He is my front runner for "what if" players.

etick_st_bo871130_690.jpg

I would have to think Bo Jackson. I mean he was a baseball player and said he football was just a hobby for him. He took baseball more seriously. So if we are talking about "what if" then he has to be in the top 5 for sure with a few "what ifs."

What if he put 100% into football?

What if he didn't destroy his hip socket?

Talk about numbers, this guys was a hand full to bring down. He usually never went down on the first hit much less with only one tackler. He is my front runner for "what if" players.

And playing as him in Tecmo Bowl was cheating for that reason.

8PBvOxicz-0

I always thought Bo Jackson was far superior at football then baseball. He was a good baseball player and was an all-star, but if he played 15+ years in the majors, would his numbers be HOF worthy? I'd say no. I think if he hadn't been drafted by Tampa Bay and dedicated himself to football full time, he would have been a HOF runningback. He made his mark at Auburn playing football, not baseball.

Timmy Smith,What if...

No what if here IMO. Smith was destined for an ending like that. I remember him in H.S. and you knew that this is what he would come to.

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

What if Joe Delaney doesn't jump in that lake to save those two children?

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 03:15 PM ----------

What if Jimmy and Jerry never let their egos get in the way?

---------- Post added April-15th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

What if Barnee Breeskin and George Preston Marshall never have a falling out and what if Clint Murchisan never buys the rights to "Hail to the Redskins"?

The Express... I believe

Yep, that was it. It was a fantastic movie. I highly recommend it. I cannot believe so many people missed it. It is close to Blind Side IMO.

Also, Bo Jackson Tecmo Bowl is awesome. I remember my dad coming into the room and I was playing as the Raiders. He was like 'what the hell? I thought you were a Skins fan. You are a trader!' I had to explain to him that Bo Jackson was incredible in the game and that is why I played as the Raiders all the time.

sort of off kilter, but what of Jack Kent Cooke left the team to John Kent Cooke and not a foundation.............sorry to hijack the thread. Go on.......

I'm not sure that it would have mattered much honestly. Snyder bought the team when? 2000? We were well into our first decade of mediocrity by then. We haven't done diddly squat since 91 but everyone blames Danny for it. Both JKC and Danny have failed to find a coach who could be the next Gibbs, but plenty of owners struggle finding one of the best coaches ever. It isn't easy to be great.

Archived