Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gallup Poll: Reagan Was Greatest President Ever???

88Comrade2000

my favorite president is Harrison. more presidents should follow his example.

The one that died after a month? Or the won that beat Grover Cleveland and then lost to him 4 years later?

---------- Post added February-19th-2011 at 06:48 PM ----------

Well, here's a little history on our presidents; in case you forgot. :)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents

my favorite president is Harrison. more presidents should follow his example.
OWWWWWWCH!

Lol.

I like Reagan, but no other president can POSSIBLY compare to the likes of Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, and Teddy Roosevelt. Those guys should be top 4, in whatever order, period.

I agree with Reagan's policies more than FDR's, but if you look at all the stuff FDR did, and I'm trying to exclude anything WWII related, and set aside stuff like stacking the Supreme Court, even if you disagree with FDR's policies like I do ("temporary" government programs, HAH!), you still have to rate him above Reagan.

Crap list, even though I like the love shown "the Gipper".

edit: I think part of the admiration for Ronaldus Reaganus Maximus, is a referendum on the Carter administration and the malaise after Watergate, as much as Reagan's performance.

The fact that Reagan is #1 & that Dubya even made the list tells me that there are alot of stupid people in this country. But I thank we need to remember that it isn't really Reagan people are listing as #1 but the fairy tale image they have of Reagan. The history books if they stick to the facts will not be as kind to Reagan as some meaningless poll.

trickle down is fiction

two santas is a fraud perpetrated on the american people

the brand of "conservatism" that spawned from it is a betrayal

tax cuts at the top have done nothing positive for the US

supply side economics is irresponsible fiscal policy invented to have your cake and eat it to.

He was awesome in dealing with the USSR though. This was no small thing considering the USSR was the biggest threat the modern US.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2011/2/4/941351/-I-chatted-with-Rush-Limbaugh-about-Ronald-Reagan-today-

STARK
: Hi, Rush. I, um... I'm calling because... Well, first of all, I'm a liberal, and I seriously don't understand this, uh, Reagan idolatry on behalf of conservatives. I'll get... I'll give you my reasons. Instead of privatizing Social Security, he raised taxes. We're all paying higher taxes today out of our paychecks every single week because he decided to save Social Security. He --

RUSH
: Wait, wait. Hold it. I need to go...

RUSH
: Wait. Jeez.

STARK
: The Greenspan Commission. He signed it into law, and it raised taxes on Social Security.

RUSH
: What...? Wait, you're talking about Reagan or Clinton?

STARK
: I'm talking about Reagan. Reagan did that. He raised taxes on Social Security. He negotiated with terrorists, sending -- over and over again -- arms to Iran in exchange for hostages perform by contrast Jimmy Carter didn't give an inch to the Iranians.

RUSH
: What in the world...?

STARK
: Not an inch. Instead Reagan (crosstalk)

RUSH
: Testing the true depth of my politeness here on this call, folks.

STARK
: Say that again?

RUSH
: Let me ask you a question. What do you think, given all this that you believe, when you hear Obama and the Democrats cite Reagan as they have been doing since about a week before the State of the Union?

STARK
: It's funny you ask that. Because as a liberal I think Obama owes his presidency to Reagan. They're both kinda stuffed suits that say one thing and then do another. Obama hasn't been anywhere near liberal enough for me. He said he'd close Guantamano (sic), he hasn't done that.

RUSH
: Yeah.

STARK
: He said he'd help people out with foreclosures, he hasn't done that.

RUSH
: I feel for you on that.

STARK
: But Reagan, I mean, amnesty to people who are breaking the law and living in the country illegally. He said, "Forget about it. Stay here forever." He cut and ran from Lebanon. How many hundreds of Marines were killed --

RUSH

STARK
: -- and he just decided, "Well, you know, instead of the fighting the bad guys I'm gonna run away"?

RUSH

STARK
: Why is Reagan a hero to conservatives?

RUSH
: "Why is Reagan a hero to conservatives?" I don't think you... Given what you've said, and I'm not trying to avoid the question, I don't think you'd ever understand it.

STARK
: Well, he's a tax raiser, an amnesty giver, a cut-and-runner, and he negotiated with terrorists. Why is he a hero to conservatives? I don't think you understand it.

RUSH
: No, I do. Most assuredly I do. I just don't think that you would understand it. Where did you get this silly notion that Reagan raised taxes on Social Security? What websites do you read? Where did you pick that up?

STARK
: Look up the Greenspan Commission. It's not too hard to find. I mean, it's a matter of history.

RUSH
: Where did you get it? I mean, you're asking me questions. I'm just reversing one on you here.

STARK
: I'm sorry. It's just general knowledge. It's something I've known for a long time. I can't remember where I got it from.

RUSH
: You can't remember? You've never heard of a website called Media Matters which highlighted it yesterday?

STARK
: (static) Oh, no. I know Media Matters very well but that's not where I got it.

RUSH
: Oh, not where you got it. It's an amazing coincidence.

STARK
: (static) I mean, I'm a liberal. Of course I know Media Matters.

RUSH
: Amazing coincidence out there.

STARK
: They're a fantastic website. But why are you dodging the question? I want to know why a tax-raising, amnesty-giving, cut-and-running, negotiating-with-terrorists guy is a hero to the conservative movement.

RUSH
: Well, because you understand Reagan in a way that is flawed. You --

Your call is actually kinda interesting because you represent the impossibility of "bridging the gap." Somebody like you just has to be defeated. There's no crossing the aisle and finding common ground with you. You're free to be who you are, don't misunderstand. I'm not trying to insulting. I'm just saying, you are unreachable. You don't want to be reached. T his picture of Reagan, you've just described somebody you should love, and you hate him! You just described somebody you should absolutely love, all these things. He's an anti-conservative, as you say, but you don't love him. You're having trouble understanding why he's viewed as heroic to a lot of people.

I could talk to you about anti-communism. I could. You want to talk about amnesty? Yeah, that was Simpson-Mazzoli, and that was one-and-a-half, two million illegals; and he was told, "Okay, if we're gonna do this, this is it, then. We're gonna secure the borders and that's it." It's the same thing with every tax increase he signed. It was also accompanied by promises to cut spending, and it never happened. Reagan's not perfect. Nobody is. But I think the proof of Reagan is the fact that when your guys get in trouble, who do they seek to associate themselves with? Remember, Obama and these people are all about getting votes.

The fact that he's trying to surround himself with Reagan, the fact that he's trying to position himself with Reagan is the best indication anybody could have of what this country really thinks of Ronaldus Magnus. I think if you want to focus in on hypocrisy, you've got far more of it on your side of the aisle to explain and dig through than we do. Reagan was forced to raise payroll taxes by a crisis in Social Security in 1983. He endorsed that rescue plan that was written by Alan Greenspan. It was reluctant. He was not a big supporter of that. Remember, Reagan did not have a congressional majority with him.

Everything he got, the tax cuts, he had Democrats outnumbering him in the House and Senate everywhere. There were certain realities that he faced. But the biggest tax increase on Social Security was authored by none other than Bill Clinton. But did you understand the notion? Ronald Reagan fought for America. He loved America. He feared where the left, based on history, wanted to take the country. Ronald Reagan set the stage for the end of the Cold War. Ronald Reagan defeated Soviet communism without firing a shot. I don't know... But none of that would matter. So you, sir, a nice individual, I'm sure you're a fine guy (probably not too much fun at a ball game, unlike Bill Clinton), but still, you illustrate that people like you just have to be defeated, not met halfway and gotten along with. I mean politically.

While I don't think Reagan is in the top 10 Presidents who did something to make the country better, I think he is at least making a case for being in the Top 10 of significance based on his economic policy and the awful impact it has had on anyone not in the top wealth bracket.

Every President since Reaganomics/VooDoo Economics/Trickle-down has been installed and practiced and philosophized by Reagan, no President since has been able to do anything to reverse or change it. Be it Bush,Clinton,Bush, or Obama. Anytime a President dares to speak against that economic model they are accused of class warfare and business as usual continues. Hell, Clinton and Bush 2, even did a lot to make the situation worse and excel and expand Reaganomics.

Whether you agree with Reaganomics or not, you can't really argue that his system was not the way it was done in this country in general, until 1980, yet has been the only way it's been done since.

From what I see it has been 30+ years of stagnant wages, outsourcing, and tax cuts for the wealthy, with little to show for the middle class.

Lincoln faced the complete destruction of the Union and guided our nation through the Civil War better than I imagine many men would have. His policies and actions helped along the abolition of slavery in this country and he was assassinated in office by enemy conspirators.

Why is trickle down economics and Iran-Contra considered more great than that? Are Americans really that ****ing stupid?

How is Clinton considered anywhere near Lincoln? JFK at 4? Above Washington??? Look I think JFK would have ended up being a great president for this nation but he was assassinated before he could make a major impact. Sure there was the Cuban missile crisis but its not like JFK personally stared down the Russians he just did what any president likely would have in that situation. I think it is an insult to put Washington below 1 or 2. Sure lots of people would say "What are his accomplishments really? He presided over a peaceful time period." Well yeah, the man who could have been king and had the grace to limit himself, and turn over power at the end of his term. Revolutionary self control. He was a decision maker and controlled a fledgling nation which was trying to work out a lot of kinks with our new constitution. That certain deserves better than to be sandwiched between JFK and FDR.

FDR...I know how many people love him to death. I for one do not but I won't elaborate. I understand popular opinion and I will say at least that he presided over a period of great national turmoil, difficulty, and change and probably deserves a top spot on those merits alone.

Obama and Bush on there is a joke. You need at least a decade and likely more to properly evaluate the greatness of a presidency.

Harry Truman...dropping a bomb which was set in his lap by FDR, mopping up in WW2, firing our brilliant primadonna military commander in Korea, and leading us into a disaster of a containment policy which would impact our nation and various administrations negatively for years to come.

I've never studied the Presidents much, but I have 2 comments/questions.

1. Why was Lincoln so great?

2. From the small amount of reading I've done on Eisenhower, I was under the impression he was largely criticized for playing golf too much and not Presidenting enough.

2. From the small amount of reading I've done on Eisenhower, I was under the impression he was largely criticized for playing golf too much and not Presidenting enough.

Eisenhower had one of the first really great post office image burnishings. While he was often viewed as a little disconnected while in office he was also followed by an assassination, disgraced pol #1 Johnson, disgraced pol #2 Nixon, a place holder Ford, and disaster Carter. By any comparison he looked very good.

And he was a pres during a time of great prosperity and relative peace, so people started looking fondly back to the good old days.

Getting us through the Civil War is kind of important.

Eisenhower had one of the first really great post office image burnishings. While he was often viewed as a little disconnected while in office he was also followed by an assassination, disgraced pol #1 Johnson, disgraced pol #2 Nixon, a place holder Ford, and disaster Carter. By any comparison he looked very good.

And he was a pres during a time of great prosperity and relative peace, so people started looking fondly back to the good old days.

That makes alot of sense, thanks.

Getting us through the Civil War is kind of important.

I understand that but I guess my problem is I don't see what he did that any other president wouldn't have done.

That makes alot of sense, thanks.

I understand that but I guess my problem is I don't see what he did that any other president wouldn't have done.

He ended slavery in the US, and in his time that was not something any other President would have done, because they didn't. I don't think you have an appreciation for the time in which Lincoln lived, otherwise I don't believe you'd be asking your question.

I still don't understand how Reagan can be considered a great President. I just don't see anything significant coming out of his administration. And before its said, Reagan did not end the Cold War. The Soviet Union was on a decline by the time of the Nixon administration. Reagan was just in the right place at the right time. The fact is that many of America's current day problems can be traced back to Reagan's term. The birth of Al Qaeda and the extreme increased in debt both began in Reagan's term due to Reagan policies.

I also wouldn't but Obama or Bush on this list. Their Presidencies are far too recent to be judged at this point, especially in the case of Obama.

He ended slavery in the US, and in his time that was not something any other President would have done, because they didn't.

The Republican Platform adopted by the NRC in 1860 stated: "That we brand the re-opening of the African Slave Trade...a crime against humanity."

Many of the 1860 Republican nominees were against slavery.

:doh:

Didn't Reagan have Alzheimer pretty bad, by the time he left office?

Er, no he didn't. He also didn't have it pretty bad (if you mean advanced) by the time he announced he had it almost six years after leaving office. That said the results of this poll show the deplorable state history is in among the general population. One could argue that Reagan is top ten, but #1? And, what is even worse is the listing of several others in the top 10 on this list (Clinton?, Bush? Obama?).

Archived