Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gallup Poll: Reagan Was Greatest President Ever???

88Comrade2000

Well, in time for PResident's Day Gallop lists the Top 10 Presidents as of 2011:

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/gallup-poll-greatest-president/2011/02/19/id/386725

1) Reagan

2) Lincoln

3) Clinton

4) John F. Kennedy

5) George Washington

6) Franklin Roosevelt

7) Barack Obama

8) Theodore Roosevelt

9) Harry Truman

10) George W. Bush

It shows Americans really don't know about history.

Reagan isn't #1, though I would put him in the Top 10. While Clinton's stock is improving, I wouldn't put him in the Top 10 or even Top 15. Top 20, probably. Bush II should be in the bottom 10 not top 10 and Obama, so far, is probably in the bottom 20 not Top 10.

While I admire Lincoln, I also think he's a tad bit overrated. I am a big fan of Reagan, but he is far less important than Washington. And let's be honest, JFK probably isn't even top 10. And Barack Obama over Teddy??? W anywhere but near the bottom? Come'on, what a joke!!!

Washington is the greatest ever, both because he let Hamilton run the country, and because he was conscientious enough to step down after two terms rather than holding on to power for life. Without that precedent, America would never have become democracy, and the world today would be vastly different.

And let's be honest, JFK probably isn't even top 10

Strongly disagree. He's probably not #1, but definitely Top 5.

Agree with the people saying that putting either W or Obama on that list makes it a joke. The only reason Clinton makes that list is because he looks so good compared to W and Obama.

1) Reagan

2) Lincoln

3) Clinton

4) John F. Kennedy

5) George Washington

6) Franklin Roosevelt

7) Barack Obama

8) Theodore Roosevelt

9) Harry Truman

10) George W. Bush

It shows Americans really don't know about history.

The last 3 Presidents, and 4 of the last 5, are in the top 10. You're damn right they don't know history. So 4 of the top 10 are out of the last 5 presidents, another 3 are Presidents everybody knows about (Washington, Lincoln, FDR), and one whose mystique overshadows everything about him (JFK). I'm actually amazed enough people every remembered Truman was a President for him to make the list. These people probably couldn't name 15 President if they tried, and were just naming people who they could remember.

First, Obama shouldn't even be in the running. He hasn't completed a single term. In fact, I'd say G W Bush should be inelligible too. The dust should have time to settle before we judge a Pres. That said, Reagan was nowhere near No. 1, probably not even top 5. I could see an argument for top ten or fifteen. I'd probably also want to put Clinton in that 10 to fifteen range... probably a bit below Reagan.

My top five would probably have to include Washington, FDR, Lincoln, Truman, and maybe Teddy. Not necessarily an original or inspired list, but there's a reason for that. These guys were undeniably important and good.

Ugh, as the first and maybe greatest PR President ole Roughrider Teddy might make a list, but read some of that history we aren't so hot on. TR may have caused more damage internationally than any other occupant of the Oval Office. There was an entire industry of spin-doctors at the time who did nothing but print pics of his (completely staged) hunting trips and talk him up as the ultimate exemplar of white Christian American manhood, but the reality was far different.

But we always have liked the sizzle more than the steak.

Although, I wouldn't necessarily discount that, either.

Just in my lifetime, I'd put Reagan and JFK on that list. And frankly, I can't really think of a single Great Thing Reagan did. (I give JFK credit for the space program, while recognizing that most of happened after he was gone.)

But the reason I respect Reagan and JFK was because of the tone they set for the country. Like or dislike their policies, nobody can say they didn't lead.

By the same token, I'd have to say that a lot of good things happened while Nixon was in office. (Example: Project Apollo left six lunar module descent stages on the Moon. Each lander bore a plaque on the leg supporting the ladder. These plaques bore the signatures of the three astronauts. The first and the last also bore Nixon's signature. Nixon presided over every single lunar landing.)

But I consider Nixon to be a terrible president. I think the best way to summarize my opinions of the Nixon presidency would be to refer to Doonesbury cartoons from that period. (Doonesbury basically was created in those days.) Early in Nixon's term, Doonesbury liked to draw the White House, with voiced emerging from it.

Later, he drew the White House with Secret Service patrolling the lawn.

Later, the fence was topped with barbed wire.

Later, sandbagged bunkers appeared on the lawn.

Later, tanks patrolled the lawn, turrets swiveling to seek threats.

Nixon gave us a Presidency with Enemies Lists. An administration hostile to it's own citizens.

----------

It's easy to dismiss presidents like Reagan or JFK as glitz or show business. But I assert that that's simply a disparaging term for leadership.

And leadership is part of the job.

Ugh, as the first and maybe greatest PR President ole Roughrider Teddy might make a list, but read some of that history we aren't so hot on. TR may have caused more damage internationally than any other occupant of the Oval Office. There was an entire industry of spin-doctors at the time who did nothing but print pics of his (completely staged) hunting trips and talk him up as the ultimate exemplar of white Christian American manhood, but the reality was far different.

What's your source on all this PR business?

Archived