Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayock: "J. J. Watt is a beast, premier 3-4 DE in draft"

pram11

Rice would be our Brandon Marshall/Andre Johnson in the Shanahan offense. I like this move a lot. Then sign the rehabilitated Plaxico Burres on the other side and you've got two tall receivers to go with Armstrong, Cooley, Davis. Even McNabb could probably make that work.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4188/player?r=1

Just the rumor mill in TK's actual football news / Woodley franchise tag thread.

It does make sense for us to go after Rice though, a young (25 in August) proven 6-4 WR that can be had for no picks only $$$+years is exactly what we need. With Moss heading out and all the holes we have on defense after switching to the 3-4 and so much defensive talent in the draft, Rice / Armstrong / Jacoby or James Jones / Banks / Kelly would be a very young talented WR squad and allow us to really help our D with that 1st round pick at either OLB/DE. Again I like Julio as much as anyone and know he will be a star, but this just makes too much sense.

Very nice. That would be a huge pick up. I'd also love to go after James Jones.

Mayock is right about Watt. I'm going to take a moment to toot my own horn and point out that I've been talking Watt up for the past few weeks. I've got him ranked 9th on the big board I made last week.

I was right there with you. Weeks ago in the draft thread I had Quinn,Miller,Dareus,Watt as possible targets. Good call Steve.

I trust Mayock WAY MORE than any other draft "expert".

I second that, and now this kid is on my draft watch board. Mayock does something different than most draft "experts", he actually sits down and watches the tape. It also helps that he has the ability to break them down as well, all of these other guys, at least the ones we see on TV, tend to trade notes with top scouts, and make assumptions based on other people's evaluations, but Mayock is a one man wrecking crew, breaking down the tape of as many prospects as he can, and he is honest, he will tell you if he watched a lot of tape, a little or none at all as the case may be with later round picks.

Still hesitant to spend a top 10 pick on a 3-4 DE. They usually aren't the game-changing players that 4-3 DEs are. They need to set the edge and control the gaps, but a lot of plays in a 3-4 come from the LB corps, which we do need to address with someone better to complement Orakpo and get a better suited ILB. Mind you, we do need a 3-4 DE starter as well, but it's about value too. In the end, I hope we can find a trade partner to pick up more picks.

I was right there with you. Weeks ago in the draft thread I had Quinn,Miller,Dareus,Watt as possible targets. Good call Steve.

I love that list. I would pass out if Dareus dropped all the way to #11, it would be just like when Orakpo fell in our laps.

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:22 PM ----------

Still hesitant to spend a top 10 pick on a 3-4 DE. They usually aren't the game-changing players that 4-3 DEs are. They need to set the edge and control the gaps, but a lot of plays in a 3-4 come from the LB corps, which we do need to address with someone better to complement Orakpo and get a better suited ILB. Mind you, we do need a 3-4 DE starter as well, but it's about value too. In the end, I hope we can find a trade partner to pick up more picks.

Tell that to Pittsburgh or NE, quality 3-4 DL are what will make or break your run defense, something we sucked at last year. LB's your right will make all the stats/highlights/plays but the dirty work is done in the trenches.

Dareus or Watt would be worth every penny.

Tell that to Pittsburgh or NE, quality 3-4 DL are what will make or break your run defense, something we sucked at last year. LB's your right will make all the stats/highlights/plays but the dirty work is done in the trenches.

However, from 2001-2010 both NE and Pittsburgh lines were mostly made up of street guys and low picks in many years when they had some good defenses.

However, from 2001-2010 both NE and Pittsburgh lines were mostly made up of street guys and low picks in many years when they had some good defenses.

Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton, and Ziggy Hood were all first round picks. That pretty much discredits the "mostly made up of" part of your statement.

If Bryant works out the way everyone is hoping he does at NT, this pick would be amazing. We would have a staunch D-line for years, which will set our 3-4 in stone. Hopefully Shanny can get his zone offensive linemen in the later rounds, and setting up our D-line for good would be awesome. Having the guys who are legit gap crushers be play makers on the line would be ideal (I'm assuming that Carriker is a lot better/more comfortable next year too).

If Bryant works out the way everyone is hoping he does at NT, this pick would be amazing. We would have a staunch D-line for years, which will set our 3-4 in stone. Hopefully Shanny can get his zone offensive linemen in the later rounds, and setting up our D-line for good would be awesome. Having the guys who are legit gap crushers be play makers on the line would be ideal (I'm assuming that Carriker is a lot better/more comfortable next year too).

He was coming on the last three or so games. It would be nice to have a solid D line again, with linebackers who know how to make plays. Let's get this CBA done so we can go ahead and knock out some free agents and the draft, and become contenders again.

In fact, Belichick's first 1st round pick with the Pats was Seymour in 2001 at 6. After taking a TE in 2002, he then completed the 34 rebuild by taking another DE at 13 (Warren) in 2003 and a NT (Wilfork) at 21 in 2004. So yeah, that post couldn't have been more wrong.

Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton, and Ziggy Hood were all first round picks. That pretty much discredits the "mostly made up of" part of your statement.

No, the few exceptions you list most definitely do NOT

Since I did not say all just many:

NE (as stated, these guys made up the best defenses 2001-2010)

Bobby Hamilton, never drafted

Ted Washington, former first rounder but was a street pick up

Jarvis Green, 4th rounder

Anthony Pleasant, FA

Rick Lyle, FA

LeKevin Smith, 6th rounder

Mike Wright, UDFA

Rashad Moore, FA

Santonio Thomas, UDFA

Derrick Burgess, mid-rounder by Eagles

Terdell Sands, late pick by KC

Rob Ninkovich (now an OLB), late pick by NO

Myron Pryor, late pick by NE

Titus Adams, street pick up

Eric Moore, late pick by NY

Pittsburgh (as stated, these made up the best defenses 2001-2010):

Smith, 4th round by Pittsburgh

Kimo von Oelhoffen, street FA

Brett Kiesal, 7th rounder

Travis Kirschke, FA who had not been drafted

Orpheus Roye, street FA

Nick Eason FA

Pittsburgh (as stated, these made up the best defenses 2001-2010):

Smith, 4th round by Pittsburgh

Kimo von Oelhoffen, street FA

Brett Kiesal, 7th rounder

Travis Kirschke, FA who had not been drafted

Orpheus Roye, street FA

Nick Eason FA

Don't forget James Harrison (UDFA, cut 3 times)

3-4 defensive linemen also pass rush when opponents pass the ball. That's something the people who say they aren't playmakers tend to forget for some reason. Evidently they think, on passing downs, the 3-4 DE just sits still in his gap and watches everyone else playing around him.

Cullen Jenkins is a good response to people who say 3-4 ends aren't play makers. Really it's about getting the BPA that also addresses a need. Of the players likely to be there at 10, Dareus, Jordan, or Watt very well could be the BPA and they would fill a need. Sure you can find good 3-4 DEs off the street, maybe, but eventhough the Pats and Steelers did have some UDFAs and FAs on their lines, they still invested high picks in DL as well when the BPA was at that position.

3-4 defensive linemen also pass rush when opponents pass the ball. That's something the people who say they aren't playmakers tend to forget for some reason. Evidently they think, on passing downs, the 3-4 DE just sits still in his gap and watches everyone else playing around him.

Such a dumb post. Nobody thinks that 3-4 DE's never rush the passer. Get out of here with that nonsense.

Such a dumb post. Nobody thinks that 3-4 DE's never rush the passer. Get out of here with that nonsense.

It seems that some do, or that they are at least perceived that way by some, because you see many people referring to DE's in a 3-4 as not being as big of "playmakers" as OLBers. Or not being as "high impact" a position. How else can you explain that?

Archived