Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayock: "J. J. Watt is a beast, premier 3-4 DE in draft"

pram11

Ranks Jordan and Heyward 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in the category of 3-4 DEs in the 2011 draft. Where does that leave Dareus?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/07/mayock-as-many-as-nine-defensive-ends-could-go-in-the-first/

I don't think he's counting him as a 3-4 DE. He has Dareus ranked much higher than Watt in other posts.

Considering Heyward will go round 1 and Bailey very well may never reach his potential and played poorly at the Senior Bowl, I'd rather take Watt

Jeez for once D & Skins we have to agree on the same player :silly:

I think you'll get the same player to be honest. Heyward = Allen bailey = Watt

You know who Watt reminds me of ??? The Adam Carriker hype when he came out of college. If I remember correctly Adam's hype came during the combine. but I do like the fact that Watt is only 21. Besides at 10 we'll probably have Dareus, Quinn, and even Miller floating around our spot.

I think you can get the same production from cameron Heyward or allen bailey instead of drafting Watt.

Heyward maybe but Bailey isn't really in their class.

The point I would make (which I think is in agreement with your general tone at least) is that with so many good 3-4 Ends, we can trade down and get one.

Dareus, Jordan and Watt will all likely be there at 10. If we could find a trade down from say 5-8 spots, we probably still get one. Worst case, you have to settle for Heyward or Liuget.

IMO the steal of the draft will be Drake Nevis. He plays DT but this guy will be a solid DE in the NFL. He's so athletic

He's the next Darnell Dockett

Plus people have the guy going in the LATE second early third round. I can't believe it

---------- Post added February-7th-2011 at 11:34 PM ----------

Heyward maybe but Bailey isn't really in their class.

The point I would make (which I think is in agreement with your general tone at least) is that with so many good 3-4 Ends, we can trade down and get one.

Dareus, Jordan and Watt will all likely be there at 10. If we could find a trade down from say 5-8 spots, we probably still get one. Worst case, you have to settle for Heyward or Liuget.

I mean this year's draft is FULL of soild players, We won't go wrong at all if they move back. They can take Paea at NT, Stefen Wisniewski at Center, Julio Jones at WR, the list goes on.

I would agree with you guys about Watt if the skins were picking in the 20s because its the same value as Bailey or Heyward but not at 10. Especially with all the great talent that will be sliding to us. I hope the skins take Quinn at 10. He and Orkapo will complement each other so well, offenses won't know where the heat will come from.

The thing I like about him best is his motor. He seems like he's almost out of control, but he's not.

J.J. Watt = controlled chaos.

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:05 AM ----------

I hope the skins take Quinn at 10. He and Orkapo will complement each other so well, offenses won't know where the heat will come from.

I worry about Quinn because like someone pointed out in the draft thread, he only had one great year, and all but one of his sacks that entire year were against some of the worst teams in college football. He had only one sack against a decent team, Boston College. I smell a bust.

I've been a big Julio Jones supporter (and still am) but after hearing about us possibly being interested in throwing a long-term deal at Sidney Rice (only way to pry him away from that transitional tag) if we managed to bring in Rice, I am 1000% behind getting JJ Watt in the first. I would ****ing love that pick, what an exciting solid first round pick that would be.

JJ playing across from Carriker would lock down our 3-4 DE positions for years. They could push each other to be better both being mid-west boys and JJ could help Carriker with some new block-shedding techniques which Carriker (IMO) seems to struggle with.

It's a move that I believe would greatly improve our entire defensive unit, starting from the trenches/DL which is a huge need for us. JJ is a play maker, a perfect physical build for 3-4 DE, a character guy, and has a great motor. That's 1st round talent / franchise building material right there.

I also believe we have a bigger hole at RDE then we do at NT/OLB. At least we have a depth/rotational player at NT with Bryant and we can look to FA for a fill-in OLB, we have Carriker plugged in as our starting LDE, but we are letting all of our RDE's walk: Haynesworth adios, Golston doesn't fit 3-4 DE mold, Joe Joseph is more of a DT / (NT if he puts on some pounds), Vonnie Holiday is a washed up fossil, I really like Jeremy Jarmon as our #1 DE rotational guy behind Carriker/(RDEStarter2011) - JJ Watt, but we have no one else.

When teams like the Ravens/Steelers/Patriots are looking at someone you know you should be as well. If we address #1WR in FA without trading away picks (why I don't want VJ) then I really hope we bring JJ to DC as a key building block of our future 3-4 defense.

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:13 AM ----------

I mean this year's draft is FULL of soild players, We won't go wrong at all if they move back. They can take Paea at NT, Stefen Wisniewski at Center, Julio Jones at WR, the list goes on.

Exactly, someone great will fall to us at both our spots in the 1st and 2nd, we can go in so many different directions and still come away winners from it. I'd be happy with Julio, Watt, Miller/Quin, or trading down, those are all winning picks/moves.

It all depends on what starting positions we manage to fill in FA /who we intend to throw contracts at (if the draft comes first) that will determine who we target in the draft, but it's good to know there's plenty of talent to be had in the 1st and 2nd this year at the positions we need.

If we go Watt with #10 we'll be reaching like the Jaguars did last year with Tyson Alualu from Cal at #10. The pick worked out for the Jags but they passed up alot of talent just to reach for a specific position. I just cant see us passing up Julio Jones, Mark Ingram or A.J Green if they are there for Watt. However, if we decided to make defense a priority this draft Watt might be the obvious choice especially for our 3-4. Not to many other early round 3-4 D Ends projected.

Just read that article where Haslett said this regarding Jarmon:

"Jeremy has a little wiggle to him and he has got a little speed," Haslett said. "He is not the biggest guy in the world from a standpoint of fitting into the 3-4. He is probably 285 pounds, and we like to have our defensive ends at 315 or 320. But he is good at what we are asking him to do."

Your boy JJ Watt seems to be a little heavier (listed at 292 lbs) compared to some of the other top DE prospects who are more in the 285-range... but does he have enough beef for Hazzles to be selected 10th overall?

I don't know much about him because I don't follow the big 10. But my opinion if we do go de would be to drop down get an extra pick and go for cameron jordan.

He did have a super year and did get over shadowed by nick fairley, but look at his stats. Look at his senior bowl game and just wait for the combine and he will

Make people's mouth drop.

If Mayock is promoting this guy, I'd be all for him. The more I look at what we need (well, everything really) and the best talent available, I prefer to move back -- even if it isn't at full market value. If the Skins could come away with a combination of:

Wyatt/Jordan/Quinn/Miller/Smith in the 1st

Taylor/Hudson in the 2nd...

I'd be very happy. Although if they don't get Taylor, I'd be all for Kedrick Ellis later, also....

I would be quite well with taking a QB in the later rounds, but there isn't anyone in the draft this year that really stands out. Reminds me too much of the Heath Shuler/Trent Dilfer draft.

Whoa where did you hear about this?

Interesting, Chris Russell just mentioned that he heard that the Skins have a close eye on Sidney Rice.
Two NFL agents tell the St. Paul Pioneer Press that impending free agent Sidney Rice will be transition tagged later this month.

The franchise tag is expected to go to SLB Chad Greenway. The transition tag, which for receivers cost $8.65M last year, would take Rice off the market unless another team proposed him a multi-year offer sheet. It would pay Rice the average of the top ten wide receiver salaries in the NFL. Still just 24, Rice could re-prove his health for a year before the Vikings lock him up.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4188/player?r=1

Just the rumor mill in TK's actual football news / Woodley franchise tag thread.

It does make sense for us to go after Rice though, a young (25 in August) proven 6-4 WR that can be had for no picks only $$$+years is exactly what we need. With Moss heading out and all the holes we have on defense after switching to the 3-4 and so much defensive talent in the draft, Rice / Armstrong / Jacoby or James Jones / Banks / Kelly would be a very young talented WR squad and allow us to really help our D with that 1st round pick at either OLB/DE. Again I like Julio as much as anyone and know he will be a star, but this just makes too much sense.

Archived