Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayock: "J. J. Watt is a beast, premier 3-4 DE in draft"

pram11

IMO the steal of the draft will be Drake Nevis. He plays DT but this guy will be a solid DE in the NFL. He's so athletic

He's the next Darnell Dockett

Plus people have the guy going in the LATE second early third round.

Actually, this interesting. Nevis was a bear to block at LSU. I think he's underrated right now too... would be a great pickup in the third (if we lived there).

lol just the JJ Evans plug has me sold lmao

hahaha me too! ( going to go watch some more vids)

we have so many holes though I just want the best talent at one of the positions we need to fill, Quinn, if someone falls, trade down whatever. It's so wide open and we need all the help we can get.

But when your talking top 10 in the draft you have to go with talent over need.

Shanahan agrees, especially with the prospect of there being no free agency prior to this draft. BPA all the way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/shanahan-nfl-lockout-hasnt-affectedredskins-focus/2011/03/22/ABjllyCB_blog.html

“Shanahan added. “... I think [this offseason] most people, since they can’t fill any voids [with free agency], they’ll draft the best player available.”

Quinn is a good prospect but he's got some heavy bust factor working against him.

He's not as explosive an athlete for his position as Watt and he really only played one year of football. There are concerns about his performance in games versus his best competition too, and you'd like for him to have more than just that one great game against Anthony Castonzo on his resume.

Plus there is the brain tumor in his medical history, which originally threatened to end his football career. That should be carefully assessed.

There are flags with Quinn that you don't really find with a clean guy like Watt.

Also, I think a large reason why an Adam Carriker comparison is made so often with Watt is because they're both 300 pound white defensive ends. Why not compare Watt to a disruptive player like Shaun Ellis? That's who he resembles more IMO. Similar body type and athleticism. Similar disruptive talent and ability. Similar background as a top pass rushing 4-3 DE possibly making the move to the 3-4.

i compare those two not cuz of them both being white, but there similarities as players..The comparison in size,speed,stats...etc is why i compare those two. And there both more of bookends, not a pass rushing threat, but more of stability on the line in terms of run support and the occasional sack. Watt doesn't bother me as being a future skin.. but being picked at number 10 it does bother me, we should draft the BPA, who can bring immediate impact to a position we could use help, and one of the elite players will drop, also theres so much depth at the DE/OLB and OL position that if we want watt, we shuld trade back a few spots to get him...10 i am in no favor of drafting JJ Watt. . not the right value, a safety pick. . which i dont thnk is the move at 10...BPA- MIller,Quinn,Dareius,Fairley,Peterson,Prince,Green,Gabbert,T.Smith,Jones,etc

Heyward maybe but Bailey isn't really in their class.

The point I would make (which I think is in agreement with your general tone at least) is that with so many good 3-4 Ends, we can trade down and get one.

Dareus, Jordan and Watt will all likely be there at 10. If we could find a trade down from say 5-8 spots, we probably still get one. Worst case, you have to settle for Heyward or Liuget.

There is no way, and I mean no way dareus will be there at ten....he won't last past cleveland and could go 2nd or 3rd

I am so tired of us talking about Defense and QB as if they are liabilities for us....We have 5 years to develop a QB because we have McNabb tied up for most of that....and defense is not a huge priority...we had a pretty solid defense last year and will do fine this year....Our need is OL...trade back, get Wisnewski and a 2nd then pick a couple more OL and pick a QB in the late rounds to groom for 3rd string, Pick up defensive depth with the rest of the picks and we will be fine.

I am so tired of us talking about Defense and QB as if they are liabilities for us....We have 5 years to develop a QB because we have McNabb tied up for most of that....and defense is not a huge priority...we had a pretty solid defense last year and will do fine this year....Our need is OL...trade back, get Wisnewski and a 2nd then pick a couple more OL and pick a QB in the late rounds to groom for 3rd string, Pick up defensive depth with the rest of the picks and we will be fine.

Is this a serious post? OL is a need, sure.

But so is QB and defense, and there's no questioning that.

We had the 31st ranked defense last season. 31st. Yes, that's only in yardage, but this defense was not very good, except in the clutch instances where it won us games with big plays. And I appreciate that. But I think that's more a result of having guys like Orakpo and Hall on the roster in the first place: they're play-makers.

And QB? We have McNabb locked up for 5 years, are you serious? He's not going to be here, whether he's traded for crumbs or cut before the season.

If you haven't been keeping up with this enough to even suspect this, then you're going to have an incredibly rude awakening in august when we cut him. Sounds like that will come out of nowhere for you.

Wow, I think you might be a bit out of the loop there. Did you follow this past season? Solid isn't a word I'd use to describe our defense last year. McNabb is also as good as gone. All indications are that he's going to be released.

i compare those two not cuz of them both being white, but there similarities as players..The comparison in size,speed,stats...etc is why i compare those two. And there both more of bookends, not a pass rushing threat, but more of stability on the line in terms of run support and the occasional sack.

I think you're confusing Watt with someone else. For instance, Watt had much better Vert and Broad jumps than Carriker did, and that's often attribute to explosiveness. Watt makes plays.

Watt had 21 TFL this past college season. That's...a TON. He had an interception. He batted a ton of passes up into the air which led to interceptions. The guy has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Umm, sir, are you aware that in many categories, last year's defense was the worst in Skins history?

I won't even touch the McNabb thing.

i compare those two not cuz of them both being white, but there similarities as players..The comparison in size,speed,stats...etc is why i compare those two. And there both more of bookends, not a pass rushing threat, but more of stability on the line in terms of run support and the occasional sack.

I think you're confusing Watt with someone else. For instance, Watt had much better Vert and Broad jumps than Carriker did, and that's often attribute to explosiveness. Watt makes plays.

Watt had 21 TFL this past college season. That's...a TON. He had an interception. He batted a ton of passes up into the air which led to interceptions. The guy has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time.

Archived