Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting press conference in my building yesterday related to Rush Limbaugh (warning offensive language)

Predicto

Is it racist to badly imitate a foreign language? From the video you posted, I didn't see anything offensive when you consider the context that Rush found it frustrating that he couldn't understand a Chinese person speaking Chinese. You didn't post Rush's rebuttal, so I guess that might shed some more light about the situation.

Is it racist to badly imitate a foreign language? From the video you posted, I didn't see anything offensive when you consider the context that Rush found it frustrating that he couldn't understand a Chinese person speaking Chinese. You didn't post Rush's rebuttal, so I guess that might shed some more light about the situation.

I didn't say it was flat out racist, but I do think that it was pretty obnoxious the way he did it. It was typical Rush. I imagine if I was an Asian person it would have pissed me off.

I didn't post Rush's rebuttal because I don't have it. All I know is that Yee called for an apology, Rush declined, and Yee started getting death threats. The death threats are what caught my attention. Rush being offensive is not an unusual occurence, as far as I can tell, and wouldn't warrant its own thread.

Is it racist to badly imitate a foreign language? From the video you posted, I didn't see anything offensive when you consider the context that Rush found it frustrating that he couldn't understand a Chinese person speaking Chinese.
Yup, pretty racist. Its as good as a racial slur, or was at one point.

Be real here, was the ching chang voice necessary for Limbaugh to make his point?

I didn't say it was flat out racist, but I do think that it was pretty obnoxious the way he did it. It was typical Rush. I imagine if I was an Asian person it would have pissed me off.

I didn't post Rush's rebuttal because I don't have it. All I know is that Yee called for an apology, Rush declined, and Yee started getting death threats. The death threats are what caught my attention. Rush being offensive is not an unusual occurence, as far as I can tell, and wouldn't warrant its own thread.

I didn't say you said that, and I'm not questioning anything you wrote. Just posting my opinion because I'm sure people did find it offensive (even though I don't think there's much to be offended about). I think, in the end, a politician is bound to get hate-mail from idiots when he makes comments about race. That really has little to do with Rush, unless like I said, his rebuttal crossed the line.

Yup, pretty racist. Its as good as a racial slur, or was at one point.

Be real here, was the ching chang voice necessary for Limbaugh to make his point?

What is racist about it? He was just emphasizing how it sounds like gibberish when you listen to a foreign language. He tries a little too hard to be funny, and so in the end it's only slightly funny because of how ridiculously off his impression was.

It's not a new thing to badly imitate a foreign language in the name of comedy. And it seems like a joke that is done with just about every language. It wasn't that funny to me on this occasion, but I also don't think it's offensive.

Olberman, Krugman, EJ Dionne, Schultz, Moore, Matthews, Klein, Alterman, Katrina Vander...(Nation), Richard Cohen, Alter, Joan Walsh, Lawrence O"donnell, Stephanie Miller, etc, to start. of course these don't not necessarily have the reach or "abrasiveness levels" of those you mention but they are just as nasty, dismissive and myopic as those on the right. I can see it. I hope you can too.

I guess I'm the liberal version of Sarah's folks but I've only heard of one of them.

What is racist about it?
What's racist about anything? What's racist about assuming a black person likes fried chicken? Fried chicken's friggin delicious.

Its all context. You already know this.

He was just emphasizing how it sounds like gibberish when you listen to a foreign language. He tries a little too hard to be funny, and so in the end it's only slightly funny because of how ridiculously off his impression was.
So Limbaugh, who can nicely and correctly pronounce Hu Jintao was just ridiculously off on the rest of his Chinese impression? :ols:
It's not a new thing to badly imitate a foreign language in the name of comedy. And it seems like a joke that is done with just about every language. It wasn't that funny to me on this occasion, but I also don't think it's offensive.
Name of comedy? Lets not apply the stand-up comedian standard to the rest of society here. Limbaugh's not even a comedian.

A joke can be racist, offensive, crude, etc. Most of the time they're supposed to be. Comedy is about toeing that line. Not really sure what your point is though.

What's racist about anything? What's racist about assuming a black person likes fried chicken? Fried chicken's friggin delicious.

Its all context. You already know this.

So Limbaugh, who can nicely and correctly pronounce Hu Jintao was just ridiculously off on the rest of his Chinese impression? :ols:

I was surprised he wasn't wearing these.

asianeyes.jpg

Haw haw, that Rush is such a card.

I only heard what's been posted in this thread, but It sounds to me like he was facetiously complaining about how there was no translator, and because there was no translator, that's what the Chinese president sounded like to him because he can't understand Chinese...

Name of comedy? Lets not apply the stand-up comedian standard to the rest of society here. Limbaugh's not even a comedian

I don't really listen to Rush any more, but from what I remember much of his show IS dedicated to comedy including political skits, jokes, and songs. He does ridiculous and exaggerated voice impressions for comedic effect very frequently, almost every day. He IS, after all, an entertainer with a strong political message.

What is racist about it? He was just emphasizing how it sounds like gibberish when you listen to a foreign language. He tries a little too hard to be funny, and so in the end it's only slightly funny because of how ridiculously off his impression was.

Unless you are Asian as Yee is, then what makes you think you are a better judge of whether or not this is offensive to Asians than a person who actually has that decent?

It was an ignorant comment to make and just furthers the divide. "Those weird foreigners with their weird language" I mean heaven forbid Rush try to actually learn something about the language instead of just mocking the **** out of it on a syndicated radio show.

You know what would actually impress me. If Limbaugh would go on the air now and say, if you sent that mail (or made the phone calls, etc), if you think sending mail like that is a good idea or funny, I don't want you listening to my radio show. If you ever do things like that, I don't want you listening to me. I don't need your support, I don't want it, and I don't want to be associated with you in any manner.

But that won't happen.

Unless you are Asian as Yee is, then what makes you think you are a better judge of whether or not this is offensive to Asians than a person who actually has that decent?

It was an ignorant comment to make and just furthers the divide. "Those weird foreigners with their weird language" I mean heaven forbid Rush try to actually learn something about the language instead of just mocking the **** out of it on a syndicated radio show.

I really think that's being overly sensitive. I know, I know, who am I to judge what is overly sensitive since I'm not Asian right? There was nothing in the video posted that said to me that it's bad or inferior to be Chinese. The only thing I got out of it is that it can be ****ing confusing to an American when listening to a Chinese person talk without having a translation.

Name of comedy? Lets not apply the stand-up comedian standard to the rest of society here. Limbaugh's not even a comedian.

A joke can be racist, offensive, crude, etc. Most of the time they're supposed to be. Comedy is about toeing that line. Not really sure what your point is though.

Limbaugh often tries to be funny on his show. If you listen to him you'd know that. Just because you don't think it's funny doesn't take away from his intention. My point is that it seems to me like he was trying to be funny, not put anyone down. I think you need to look at the intention of the person you're criticizing.

Limbaugh often tries to be funny on his show. If you listen to him you'd know that. Just because you don't think it's funny doesn't take away from his intention. My point is that it seems to me like he was trying to be funny, not put anyone down. I think you need to look at the intention of the person you're criticizing.

Which is, honestly, I think why he's so popular. He uses humor, sarcasm, and satire throughout his show. That's part of the appeal. Really, if he gets too serious for too long, people will start calling the show asking for a little fun, haha!

I really think that's being overly sensitive. I know, I know, who am I to judge what is overly sensitive since I'm not Asian right? There was nothing in the video posted that said to me that it's bad or inferior to be Chinese. The only thing I got out of it is that it can be ****ing confusing to an American when listening to a Chinese person talk without having a translation.

Rush was poking fun at someone solely based on that person's ethnicity. He was trying to get people to crack up at his imitation of a guy simply because that guy speaks Chinese. Do you honestly believe otherwise? I realize that Asian Americans are totally fair game when it comes to racial stereotypes, jokes, etc., but I find this **** totally ridiculous.

PS - I love some of the comments in this thread, particularly those that essentially say, "liberals make fun of white people, so don't complain about conservatives making fun of minorities."

There are funny, non-offensive ways to get that point across. Imitating circa-1950s comedic gags on a syndicated political radio show is not a good way to get that point across. As PeterMP pointed out, if he's not going to apologize (which he should) he should at least be condemning the bad responses he has helped generate.

And for Christ's sake doesn't he have enough money to hire a translator if he wants one? Wouldn't want the federal government wasting money now, would we?

PS - I love some of the comments in this thread, particularly those that essentially say, "liberals make fun of white people, so don't complain about conservatives making fun of minorities."

And I love people who still want to treat people differently based on race/ethnicity.

Seems to me, Rush was making the point that there was no translator at the press conference, or whatever he was talking about. He did so by mimicking a language he couldn't comprehend. Why this needs to be blown into some sort of international crisis is completely beyond me. And for the record, despite being a conservative myself, I can't STAND Rush, and haven't listened to him in better than 15 years.

Now, Predicto, I have a little bit better grasp on why you're concerned. Unfortunately there are nutbags out there. And if they don't go on a shooting spree because of Rush's attempt at the Chinese accent, they'll just do it to impress some actress. You work around important people. Important people can be considered targets by the criminally deranged. The bigger the name, the more infamous they can become. It's sad but true. And I sincerely hope your worst fears are NEVER realized.

And I love people who still want to treat people differently based on race/ethnicity.

Seems to me, Rush was making the point that there was no translator at the press conference, or whatever he was talking about. He did so by mimicking a language he couldn't comprehend. Why this needs to be blown into some sort of international crisis is completely beyond me..

Beause Asians are taking offense to it. I'll ask you the same question I asked another in here: what makes you more qualified to determine whether or not this is offensive to Asians than Congressman Yee who actually is of Asian descent?

Archived