Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What The ****, Google?

Conn

Never heard of this, and definitely never experienced it. Closest thing I've seen is the full-page ads that news websites will sometimes put up for a few seconds before loading the actual story, but those always have a button/link/whatever that says "Click here to go directly to story" or something similar. It's obvious what they are and how to go straight to what you want to see, and they're definitely not separate websites.

You have a virus. Not gonna lie the ones that redirect you are a ***** to get rid of. Go to bleepingcomputer.com and post a thread about it and someone will help rid you of it. I had to use Combofix etc.

Malware Bytes etc. is not going to get rid of it in all likelihood.

What he said

Bleepingcomputer is a very good site that has resolved many of my computer issues, including a really nasty infection

Would recommend that site, very helpful people there

I would say IE got hijacked

No problems here, except their image search sometimes gums up the works.

~Bang

off the track but

Notice how google has the images in frames and also thumb nails on their server

well my site got taken down because someone complained i had posted their photo on my site. It was a hot link from his political blog. He is a neo Nazi and i guess he did n ot like what i had to say about Nazis and the Christian identity movement so he filed a DMCA complaint with google

to have it restored i had to make a counter claim

http://www.google.com/dmca.html

in other words google can hot link but if i do google with block my site and have it removed

I still hate Illinois Nazis

I'm willing to bet you're PC is jacked up with some malware, and I bet it's a TDSS rootkit, if your browser is redirecting you. I deal with infected computers several times a week and use 2 things consistantly: MalwareBytes AntiMalware and ESET Online Scanner. SuperAntiSpyware is also good. I've had all three of these programs detect things that the others didn't.

It's best to run these scans is in Safe Mode (with Networking) so you can get the updated definitions and your PC is running with minimal programs at startup. It's also good to turn off System Restore and stop any unneeded startup programs via Start>Run>msconfig (this can be tricky so you don't want to screw around too much if you don't know what you're doing). The main thing I 've seen recently is stuff like awe#teop!! and other random numbers and letters listed as programs. Again, I wouldn't screw to much with this if you aren't positive it's OK to disable something. You can always google the processes on a machine where the browser doesn't redirect you.

The reason I say is it's probably the TDSS thing is you're getting redirected to ads. I've seen this still appen after MBAM, ESET, and SAS scans clean what they find and nearly every time I use this in that situation, it detects this rootkit that causes it. It's made by Kaspersky, and it's a great tool for anyone that deals with this crap all the time. You can just run the .exe, you don't have to download the .zip. I included the links for the Malware Scanners too.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=contentMain;contentAux

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.eset.com/onlinescan

Forgot to mention...these insrtuctions are for XP but the process is very simialr for Vista (doh!) and Windows 7. Once you feel the viruses are gone, turn System Restore back on. Another good idea is to check your sceduled tasks and make sure nothing weird is in there.

It's malware. I had it maybe 2 months ago. Put up for it for about a week thinking "what's wrong with Google?!". I was shocked, shocked to learn that I indeed had a similar thing to what you are experiencing. In fact, it was only happening on Firefox (since I only use Firefox, I guess?). I used that opportunity to clean up my computer, I think that was the only major malware (seemed like it had changed some internal settings on Firefox?). It's amazing that we need these forums to go after all the junk that people might put on our computers (from going on sketchy sites).

Your PC has been compromised by malware.

Boot into safe mode with networking

Download and install Malwarebytes from filehippo.com Update it completely and run a full scan on your hard drive. (to save time, you can omit your recovery partition as I can't recall the last time I've seen an infection tamper with the recovery partition). If it restarts, restart into Safe Mode with Networking.

Run another scan. Combofix is good but on occasion can cause complications. I'll recommend SuperAntiSpyware portable here. http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html . Follow the same instructions I gave with Malwarebytes. Run a full update and then full scan on your hard drive. When finished, if a reboot is necessary, boot back into Safe Mode with Networking.

Open Control Panel. [if you're in Vista/7: Click on Network and Internet]. From here, click on Internet Options. Go to the rightmost tab, Advanced. At the bottom of this screen, click the Reset button. Here, I normally click the optional "Delete Personal Settings"; You may not want to if you don't remember your usernames and passwords as it will clean out all your cookies and saved form data; but I usually select it to be more aggressive in cleaning out things.

Check your hosts file. Navigate to c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc. Double click on "hosts" (no extension). Open with Notepad. If you see a bunch of stuff in there besides "127.0.0.1 localhost", your hosts file has been hijacked. There is a chance that some of the stuff is legit, for example, Spybot has a feature which blacklists a bunch of well known malware, but this is typically not the case. Delete everything and just leave a line that says the following and nothing else: 127.0.0.1 localhost

Reboot. Test google out. If problems continue, use Combofix, in safemode.

when we were having similar problems we ended up running a ton of stuff, including malwarebytes and combofix, to get rid of everything. we also discovered that i had an effed up version of java installed - getting rid of that helped.

Yeah, my typical work week is to clean 3-10 PCs. We run a total of 5 or 6 scans (not including other utilities) to be as thorough as possible, in addition to removing old versions of java and making updates to windows and java.

Also, Soulskin makes a good point about the TDSS rootkit that seems to be real popular these days (what are you people clicking on!?). If Combofix runs and claims it found a rootkit, even if Combofix says it will reboot to remove it, run the Kaspersky TDSSkiller.exe. The first version of it didn't work well, but they've updated it and I've had good success using that utility to remove that rootkit lately.

Install MS security essentials, plus malwarebytes. Some of those buggers you have to run multiple scans from diff venders to purge all of it. A sure bet you can always save your data and do a clean install. This can be quicker than all the scans.

I used to always manually clean, but alot of times it's to time consuming and a re-image is much faster to get the machine back up.

Just wait until MAC's are the popular ones, then they will be targeted!!:evilg:

Mac OS is built on the Unix OS, and not controllable by all of these clowns. It's not happening. It's secure. But you would have to understand windows vs unix and the core to understand why it wont happen.

Bill Gates biggest fail, not making Windows unix based.

Mac OS is built on the Unix OS, and not controllable by all of these clowns. It's not happening. It's secure. But you would have to understand windows vs unix and the core to understand why it wont happen.

Bill Gates biggest fail, not making Windows unix based.

I do agree, however I am anti MAC, so therfore I must have to disagree!!! Unix is over-rated.... lol.

I do agree, however I am anti MAC, so therfore I must have to disagree!!! Unix is over-rated.... lol.

:ols:

Boot into safe mode.

Install malware bytes.

Rinse, repeat.

Then run kaspersky software.

Rinse, repeat.

Repeat this process every month. :ols:

Meanwhile my Unix/Ubuntu/Mac/RedHat Unix box is going to be under attack real soon :ols:

I switched to a Mac because I got tired of rinse/repeat on my fathers pc, and daughters pc's. It got old running malwarebytes. Over a year into kids running Macs, and no more rinse repeat :)

But Unix sucks ;) BTW, camera's and flash on Ubuntu don't work :ols:

But Windows 7 rox :ols:

chip just because your kid's don't protect their computer with decent software doesn't mean Windows 7 isn't a great OS. Had this for over a year now. Not a single infection or crash.

:ols:

Come on sticks.

No adware scanner.

No virus scanner.

No 'protection" toolbar on the browser.

You can argue a point, but at least have an argument.

Sure you can surf naked in Windows. But you will be infected.

You can't surf naked on a Mac and be infected.

It's a simple fact. You can argue it, but I can infect your Windows box with a simple URL. And if you have the protection to stop it, it's a drag on your browser, pc, and performance.

But your right, surfing without a net isn't cool. :ols:

---------- Post added January-27th-2011 at 01:26 AM ----------

BTW, Sticks,

If you want to do your online banking, credit cards, etc on a Windows box that will ultimately need some sort of norton, adware, malwarebytes scan, that is your prerogative. Just realize, malware is no joke. It's not something I trivialize, which is why I made the switch. If these things didn't exist, i would run Windows 7 with a smile :)

Buy a mac and save yourself the malware headaches.

this leads me to believe you haven't done IT work in years, if you ever have at all

Barf. Not being a douche but I'm an IT professional and don't even run antispyware or antivirus on my home computers. I've done a scan just to be 100% sure in the past year and nothing. Are Macs like beginner computers?

Maybe I AM being a douche. :D

macs are for people who want to be douches....basically they buy it because it has the best commercials, yay commercials...smh

LOL I own an IT services company and have been doing IT work since 1987. We are all douches :ols:

Mac is unix based, it's not for you beginners. ;)

But if you want, I'll drop you a link or two that would mess up your pc ;)

unix has it's pluses...there aren't many though for the average user...and owning an IT services company and doing IT work are two different things. My previous boss was a great IT sales person but couldn't fix squat.

Your problem is indeed the Google Redirect Virus, nothing that can't be fixed by opening regedit and deleting the correct keys. It's a very simple fix, all you have to do is google the problem...oh wait, lol, jk. But seriously, I'll see if I can find the correct registry keys to delete and post the directions in here. The people who instructed to run malwarebytes are semi-right, I have seen it work with this issue before but it's just as likely to completely pass over it. There is a cheap software that is specifically made for this problem but I have a hard time believing that they aren't the ones who are creating the issue in the first place.

O BTW, macs are just as susceptible to issues as pc's. PC's have the legendary blue screen of death...anyone who has used a mac or at least uses it on the regular knows what this is:

955d1a79a4329c66de07f79d00784a7c-230x230.png

The link below is a description of that little rainbow wheel of death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_wait_cursor

I'll assume that when you google search it redirects you to some random page but if you type in the URL in the address bar it will take you wherever you want to go, right?

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=209701

Majorgeeks has a bunch of good info on there, I believe that one doesn't require you to delete any registry keys. While I don't like using articles like the one I will paste below it offers a lot of into on the problem.

http://www.upublish.info/Article/How-to-Fix-the-Google-Redirect-Virus/398862

Archived